Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 874 875 [876] 877 878 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815652 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13125 on: February 13, 2013, 02:57:02 pm »

Check Flying Dice's sig?
More fun to complain about how it doesn't work on tiny monitors than to look for/ask for a solution.
But that's why I put it there and make an effort to have a post on every page. There's literally no effort involved if you look at any page in the last ~200. D:
Looking back at the last 200 pages, you'll notice most people ignore it entirely.
But prior to that I felt obligated to hunt up the link every 2-3 pages when another person showed up with the same question. This is at least a simpler thing to point them to.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13126 on: February 13, 2013, 03:02:46 pm »

As ResizeEnable has been reported not to work for windows 8, has anyone found an equivelent that does work on it?
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13127 on: February 13, 2013, 03:17:50 pm »

Check Flying Dice's sig?
More fun to complain about how it doesn't work on tiny monitors than to look for/ask for a solution.
But that's why I put it there and make an effort to have a post on every page. There's literally no effort involved if you look at any page in the last ~200. D:
Looking back at the last 200 pages, you'll notice most people ignore it entirely.
But prior to that I felt obligated to hunt up the link every 2-3 pages when another person showed up with the same question. This is at least a simpler thing to point them to.
Oh I agree with you. Your sig is a good thing and I'm grateful that you make the effort.

I'm just amazed at the number of people who don't even try to find a solution but instead post "Well it doesn't work ARGLEBARGLE TERRIBAD GAME."

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13128 on: February 13, 2013, 04:21:44 pm »

I hope that for every person who makes a post asking about that fix, there are a few silent ones that simply see what's already been written.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13129 on: February 13, 2013, 04:45:25 pm »

(removed)

As ResizeEnable has been reported not to work for windows 8, has anyone found an equivelent that does work on it?
I searched, but not incredibly hard, as my problem has been resolved in another way (with a larger monitor). There are several other programs out there that are more of a pain for a similar effect, though I've never used any of them, and they mostly rely on shenanigans re: scrolling around. That aside, Win8 is fairly new, so there's a chance that ResizeEnable may be updated for it. There's also a chance that there is a workaround that I didn't find, as I wasn't trying particularly much to make it work.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 06:41:01 pm by Toady One »

3. Run Resize Enable

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13130 on: February 15, 2013, 09:48:36 am »

Does Aurora still work on wine?
Cause it's not so hard to just boot off a ubuntu disk and i found this command to rescale the screen" xrandr --output LVDS1 --scale 1.25x1.25"
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13131 on: February 16, 2013, 03:25:52 am »

window 7 i tried to use resize but all it did was instead of shrinking the size of the small boxes it just mashed em into each other it worked but not the way i needed it to

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13132 on: February 16, 2013, 08:28:03 am »

It's also possible to set it so that when you (Windows Key + p -> Extend) you can make the extended monitor be above your actual screen height, letting you drag the windows from aurora up there so you can see the lower sections. I forget how to change the position of the extended screen now, though.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13133 on: February 16, 2013, 01:47:42 pm »

window 7 i tried to use resize but all it did was instead of shrinking the size of the small boxes it just mashed em into each other it worked but not the way i needed it to

It more or less works by smashing everything together, rather than by shrinking it perfectly. It takes a bit of work to figure out how exactly to contract the window without making anything too small to be usable, but it can be done without too much trouble.

3. Run Resize Enable

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13134 on: February 19, 2013, 12:55:13 pm »

Man, I love this game... I started a new universe out a few days ago and my first warships just rolled off the line today.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't have much experience in Aurora warfare yet myself, but this thing is going to be my General-use mainstay until I can design some more specialized designs. Missiles have about 95m km range until I build some size 5 launchers. With three of these Kirovs I created a jumpgate right into the heart of-- Nothing. I was expecting precusor dreadnoughts, but I guess free minerals is okay too.
As soon as they came out of drydock I facepalmed-- I forgot to stick damage control and some shields in. (even though my shield tech is still pretty meh I'd put them in anyway, 5 layers of armour feels a tad slim.)  Next will be a Command/Control Carrier and a jumpship.

Edit: I'm sure you can all point out inefficiencies in my design, but I love it anyway. I'll let you know when they get trashed by an alien scouting party. :P One thing of note, I was looking through the thermal readouts-- my single construction vessel that's currently building jumpgates has a thermal signature that's about 10x as large as this ship. It's larger than my 180m km active sensor range.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 01:01:50 pm by Iosyn »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13135 on: February 19, 2013, 01:05:19 pm »

Wow, you call that a frigate? Each to their own, I guess.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13136 on: February 19, 2013, 01:19:26 pm »

I don't have a point of reference for size yet :p it's my first armed ship after all. But as soon as I get into the specialized designs ships of around this size with only beams or missiles each I'd probably call em frigates. Anything larger, Destroyers, then Cruisers/Battleships and then onto the carriers. Anything smaller than this I'd probably gear for speed and call em FACs.

Also my poor Tanker feels defenceless nearby. Oh-- and a quick update, the first system I explored has lagrange points. it's a binary star system with a planet orbiting BETWEEN the stars. and it looks like it'll be a very easy Terraformation.
Edit: Another mistake-- I thought 280 Mag space would be enough... turns out I can only carry 70 missiles each.
from 28 volleys to 7... Oh dear.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 01:31:07 pm by Iosyn »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13137 on: February 19, 2013, 01:29:06 pm »

I'm a bit out of practice in Aurora, but that Kirov looks a bit too heavy.  A "frigate" should be equivalent to "fighter" in terms of 'ships that can fly under their own power'.  General single-weapon, 1 year or so deploy time, no active sensors (probably no passive either, for that size), and medium armor.  Their essential purpose is to be a gun and some extra meat shield.

Don't think of a ship as a ship.  Think of a fleet as a ship.  A frigate is an installed cannon.  Your 'command ship' should be a heavily armored sensor item without weapons - this will be the 'hull' of your fleet-ship.  Frigates are just weapons tacked onto the hull-ship, armored some to make it more difficult to disarm your fleet.

This works for everything really.  Point defense, main weapons, missiles, etc, they all 'attach' to your heavily armored sensor craft.

True 'mega-ship' self-reliant battleships are extremely expensive and cost a lot to lose.  Instead, build your whole fleet as a single ship.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13138 on: February 19, 2013, 01:34:53 pm »

In my current campaign, I call a 10,000 ton ship a Cruiser. Some people do build multimillion ton super-dreadnaughts though, so it's definitely possible to have different design philosophies.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13139 on: February 19, 2013, 01:51:38 pm »

I kind of agree with putting the shields in even if they are crappy ones, as it means you don't need to refigure the design to allow space for them once you get reasonable ones, just refit.

Comments on the ship.

You have a rediculously excessive ammount of engineering spaces, even by my standards. Strip out at least 2/3rds of them, aim for around 3-4 year maintainance life.

I'd up the deployment time to roughly match the new maintainance life, it means you don't need to keep track of them seperately.

Your magazine size is tiny for the number of launchers you are carrying, you only get 7 salvoes. Use some of the space freed up from stripping the engineering spaces for more magazines.

Your reactors seem really odd to me. It looks like you should be drawing a total of 36 power for your weapons, so if you are wanting two reactors to give you redundancy in case of combat damage, you will want them to be individually capable of powering the ship.

Why the two different sizes of lasers? You haven't optimised them to have one for anti shipping and the other for point defence, so it looks like a somewhat bizarre choice.

Fuel capacity is really low for a ship this size. It is sufficient for combat operations but it does mean that you will have to be returning for refueling frequently.

Your missile active sensor could do with being at least double the size if not 3-5 times the size. As it stands it will only be picking up missiles at around 140,000 km meaning an incoming salvo travelling at 30,000 km/s(and that is a pretty conservative speed for anti-ship missiles) could cross it's entire detection range without being picked up.

I'd suggest dropping the resolution on your missile firecontrol and your ship active sensor down to 60(3000 tons) possible increasing the size of your firecontrol slightly to bring it up to the same range. You at the least want the resolutions to match or you get situations where you can't spot targets that you would otherwise be able to shoot at.

Wow, you call that a frigate? Each to their own, I guess.
In my current campaign, I call a 10,000 ton ship a Cruiser. Some people do build multimillion ton super-dreadnaughts though, so it's definitely possible to have different design philosophies.
Indeed, it would be a light destroyer in my ship classification scheme.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Pages: 1 ... 874 875 [876] 877 878 ... 1347