Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 873 874 [875] 876 877 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815769 times)

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13110 on: February 11, 2013, 11:45:28 pm »

You can always get the designer mode password; it lets you see what NPRs are doing and also delete stuff if you're stuck with a neverending battle (or just impatient).

Or do what I do and don't start with any NPRs  ;D

You can, but entering SM/designer mode reveals a lot of things as a side-effect. And destroying the exploration aspect of the game would kill a significant portion of the fun for many of us.

And removing NPRs (potentially real opponents) altogether isn't an option for me either, as fighting nothing but Precursors and Star Swarm would get old fast. The whole universe would feel empty and lifeless. Imagine playing any Civilization game with nothing to look forward to but wiping out barbarians.

If you don't want to, you don't have to look at much with the designer mode; you can just use it to end any everlasting fights. And I didn't say play without NPRs, I said start without NPRs. The game will add them in as you expand, but it's having them around from the beginning that really causes the 5 second turns.

This is what I do. My current game is about 60 years in and still going strong. I started with no NPR's and only set their spawn chance to 100% a few years ago, when I felt like a new challenge. As soon as I found one, I set it back to 0% until I dealt with the NPR.

As long as NPR's don't interact, there shouldn't be any cause for 5 second increments.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13111 on: February 12, 2013, 05:12:58 pm »

Question: How do you assign ships (not fighters) to be parasites of other ships? I can't seem to find any buttons that allow me to do so.

Derp, nevermind, found it hidden in a corner.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 05:14:40 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13112 on: February 12, 2013, 05:15:09 pm »

Ships window, upper right hand corner, use the drop down to assign a mothership.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13113 on: February 12, 2013, 05:16:04 pm »

Question: How do you assign ships (not fighters) to be parasites of other ships? I can't seem to find any buttons that allow me to do so.

I used to make the ships into a task force, and then use the "Land on ship (+ Assign)" or whatever order in the task force menu. It was also possible to do it with the naval organization tab, but took a lot of organizing first.

Also what Karlito said.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13114 on: February 12, 2013, 06:16:18 pm »

Does anyone else find organizing fighter groups strangely satisfying?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13115 on: February 12, 2013, 09:47:05 pm »

You can always get the designer mode password; it lets you see what NPRs are doing and also delete stuff if you're stuck with a neverending battle (or just impatient).

You can, but entering SM/designer mode reveals a lot of things as a side-effect. And destroying the exploration aspect of the game would kill a significant portion of the fun for many of us.

And removing NPRs (potentially real opponents) altogether isn't an option for me either, as fighting nothing but Precursors and Star Swarm would get old fast. The whole universe would feel empty and lifeless. Imagine playing any Civilization game with nothing to look forward to but wiping out barbarians.

If you don't want to, you don't have to look at much with the designer mode; you can just use it to end any everlasting fights. And I didn't say play without NPRs, I said start without NPRs. The game will add them in as you expand, but it's having them around from the beginning that really causes the 5 second turns.

I'm guessing 5-second increment periods can also happen if the NPR gets into fisticuffs with Precursors and Star Swarm.

But now, honest question: how could you stop the offending battles without seeing much? You'd have to look upon the true extent of the universe/galaxy, probably inevitably seeing where the NPR, Precursor and Star Swarm systems are, and find the likely previously unknown system and the culprit vessels before you can wipe a side out and get rid of the engagement.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13116 on: February 12, 2013, 10:00:59 pm »

I'm guessing 5-second increment periods can also happen if the NPR gets into fisticuffs with Precursors and Star Swarm.

But now, honest question: how could you stop the offending battles without seeing much? You'd have to look upon the true extent of the universe/galaxy, probably inevitably seeing where the NPR, Precursor and Star Swarm systems are, and find the likely previously unknown system and the culprit vessels before you can wipe a side out and get rid of the engagement.

If I get a battle that won't resolve, I look at the SM events log for whatever happened in the last 5 seconds, this will almost certainly be the battle and nothing else. Then I open the task forces menu and delete the precursor/swarm/whatever in that system.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13117 on: February 12, 2013, 10:53:00 pm »

If I get a battle that won't resolve, I look at the SM events log for whatever happened in the last 5 seconds, this will almost certainly be the battle and nothing else. Then I open the task forces menu and delete the precursor/swarm/whatever in that system.

Well, that seems harmless enough. :)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13118 on: February 12, 2013, 11:50:04 pm »

Yep. That's the main reason why I don't take non-Invader related OMG 5 SECOND INTERVALS KILLED MY GAEM D: stuff entirely seriously; all you have to do is SM check the event log, switch over to the offending party through one of the combat/scan interrupts, and delete the system. Everything you see in the process is irrelevant as it will all be removed from the game.

3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13119 on: February 13, 2013, 11:07:49 am »

Does anyone else find organizing fighter groups strangely satisfying?
....I actually come up with unit patches and track squadron histories. 
I know, I'm a freak. :-[

I actually wish it tracked commander histories more comprehensively (I'm looking forward to the kill counters for vessels and commanders in 6.3), and I wish you could see retired/deceased commanders' histories as well. Or had a stand-alone tool to pull that info out of the database somehow, like some of the apps for Crusader Kings that scan the entire database of people and pulls out "notable" figures out of the accumulated history. Or Legends mode in DF.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13120 on: February 13, 2013, 01:27:28 pm »

I'd play this game if I could actually see the full window. Also, yes, reduced height window is enabled, that doesn't work.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13121 on: February 13, 2013, 01:28:53 pm »

Check Flying Dice's sig?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13122 on: February 13, 2013, 02:28:54 pm »

Check Flying Dice's sig?
More fun to complain about how it doesn't work on tiny monitors than to look for/ask for a solution.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13123 on: February 13, 2013, 02:33:45 pm »

Check Flying Dice's sig?
More fun to complain about how it doesn't work on tiny monitors than to look for/ask for a solution.
But that's why I put it there and make an effort to have a post on every page. There's literally no effort involved if you look at any page in the last ~200. D:

3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13124 on: February 13, 2013, 02:38:58 pm »

Check Flying Dice's sig?
But that's why I put it there and make an effort to have a post on every page. There's literally no effort involved if you look at any page in the last ~200. D:
Looking back at the last 200 pages, you'll notice most people ignore it entirely.
Pages: 1 ... 873 874 [875] 876 877 ... 1347