Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 869 870 [871] 872 873 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815963 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13050 on: January 24, 2013, 08:36:21 pm »

Yeah, for intersystem mineral transport you're going to not want to use repeat orders, as the fuel waste would be absurd. Just send a ship every [time period it takes for the colony to produce ~1 cargo hold worth of minerals]. For intrasystem transport, mass drivers. If you've got an asteroid in a mining system that happens to be conveniently close to the JP leading home, you can set up a mass driver network in the system so that all the mining colonies feed into that waystation, reducing travel time for your freighters.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #13051 on: January 25, 2013, 05:14:24 am »

Yeah, for intersystem mineral transport you're going to not want to use repeat orders, as the fuel waste would be absurd. Just send a ship every [time period it takes for the colony to produce ~1 cargo hold worth of minerals]. For intrasystem transport, mass drivers. If you've got an asteroid in a mining system that happens to be conveniently close to the JP leading home, you can set up a mass driver network in the system so that all the mining colonies feed into that waystation, reducing travel time for your freighters.
I was unlucky, I got a comet only system, and I hauling my stuff with 2 super high capacity  heavy ass freighters.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13052 on: January 25, 2013, 09:31:13 am »

My strategy for handling asteroid-rich systems is to pick out one planet or moon. Terraform if possible, infrastructure otherwise. Plop down a mass driver and a DSTS and chuck colonists on there. Eventually the population will grow to the point that civilians will start colonizing the best Du/So asteroids and you can mass driver the output to that "hub" colony. Asteroid miners can pick up the non-Du/So asteroids. And if there's a few Venusian-type worlds in system (ridiculously high colony cost, hundreds of millions of tons of minerals but at low concentration) you can set up auto-mining complexexs and point all that output to the hub as well.

Eventually most of my systems become a single hub world serviced by tons of mining settlements. Sometimes a secondary hub will flourish as well, especially in a binary system with some seperation (in my current game, Alpha Centauri-B has one asteroid field which services New Earth, while the fledgling colony of Minos near Alpha Centauri-A will handle the asteroid field and moons in that cluster)

Larger, more complex systems can wind up supporting complicated chains of trade that can keep your civilians constantly busy. In one of my old 5.x games, I had a quaternary system with one near-Earth around each star and a few more that were easily habitable with some infrastructure and terraforming. My eventual plan had been to have as many as nine colonies in that one system.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13053 on: January 25, 2013, 09:39:53 am »

Huh. I just centralise everything, one colony centre to a system, while making each self sufficient. When the resources in one system are expended, move all manufactory capability to the next system and just leave the old colony there to produce wealth.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13054 on: January 25, 2013, 09:57:19 am »

A lot of systems will take hundreds, if not thousands of years to fully exploit. I'm comfortable with having most systems just being resource collection points, with maybe some limited manufacturing depending on the resources available. My sector capitals are where the real building takes place. For instance, current game has the "Corridor", a string of continguous inhabited systems in near-Sol space, running

Lacaille 9352 (Prosperity) -> Barnard's Star (Bounty) -> Sol (Earth, Mars, ton of CMCs) -> Alpha Centauri (New Earth, Minos) -> Kapteyn's Star (Eden)

That's all Central Sector. Most of the systems are just mining, although Eden only has Vendarite and Uridium, so I've left it to be an agricultural colony. And Minos is mineral-bare but acts as a collection point for operations in the Alpha Centauri-A sphere.

Two jumps past Barnard's Star is Gliese 570 and the fledgling colonies of Osiris and Isis, which will eventually form the capital of a yet-unnamed Sector. Three jumps past Kapteyn's Star lies Delta Eridani and the fully-terraformed but as yet uninhabited colony of Pandora, which will form the capital of Eridani Sector.

There's a third potential sector capital down another branch of the jump tree near AD Leonis, but there's Precursors down that way, so I've avoided it for the moment.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13055 on: January 25, 2013, 10:02:49 am »

Hm. The only secondary bases I really build are my 'forge worlds'. And those are mostly mobile anyway. (Little hint: A combination of excellent PD, armour and shields can allow you to occupy a hostile system with PDCs and ordnance/fighter factories while you wage a war with the residents. Who needs jump-capable warships?  :P)

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #13056 on: January 25, 2013, 01:31:43 pm »

Hm. The only secondary bases I really build are my 'forge worlds'. And those are mostly mobile anyway. (Little hint: A combination of excellent PD, armour and shields can allow you to occupy a hostile system with PDCs and ordnance/fighter factories while you wage a war with the residents. Who needs jump-capable warships?  :P)
I really wish to find other alien species in my current game. I'm tired of kicking some old dusty robotic asses.

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13057 on: January 25, 2013, 01:33:36 pm »

Whats development like (Belated Edit: in) this?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 05:17:02 pm by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13058 on: January 25, 2013, 01:34:56 pm »

I really wish to find other alien species in my current game. I'm tired of kicking some old dusty robotic asses.
Activate Invaders. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13059 on: January 25, 2013, 03:25:10 pm »

Whats development like this?

...in English?  ???

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #13060 on: January 25, 2013, 04:51:51 pm »

In my current game, I discovered AD Leonis-A 1. It's a planet in the centre of the AD Leonis system with millions of resources at high accessibility levels, and it was easier to terraform than any other celestial body I've encountered to date. And it was only one jump away from sol.

I'm planning to move the majority of my infrastructure there and use it as my civilisation capital. Earth is dry, and the RNG completely screwed me in terms of Sol mining possibilities.

Whats development like this?

If you're asking what the consistency of updates is like; it's not too bad. There's only one guy working on it in his spare time, but every few months an update drastically changes the game.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13061 on: January 25, 2013, 05:20:10 pm »

What does he develop, however? Is he taking toady's approach to UI? If so,  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc.
Reading a thinner book

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #13062 on: January 25, 2013, 05:23:49 pm »

What does he develop, however? Is he taking toady's approach to UI? If so,  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc.

To be honest, the UI feels more like a spreadsheet application. With a quick google image search, you'll see what I mean.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13063 on: January 25, 2013, 05:26:13 pm »

Man, I've got the thing downloaded. I fear it  :'(.
Reading a thinner book

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #13064 on: January 25, 2013, 05:33:15 pm »

Man, I've got the thing downloaded. I fear it  :'(.
Just wait till your 2 months old game being ruined by error spamming about something useless.

Pages: 1 ... 869 870 [871] 872 873 ... 1347