Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 867 868 [869] 870 871 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2816215 times)

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13020 on: January 22, 2013, 08:34:47 pm »

I remember investigating this, and I'm *pretty* sure that (pre-6.0 anyway) only the actual commander of the ship adds his terraforming bonus - there's no way to get anything like a Fleet commander/sector commander/staff to add their bonus, and the governor's bonus if any does not add into terraforming ships.

Even so, I really like to do either terraforming or mining ships, a fleet of nice big uns really grinds through the loooong times while taking a big load off factory utilization (while tying up at least one big shipyard, admittedly).  When you run out of guys who start with a bonus, otherwise mediocre officers assigned to the ships do (sloooowly) develop the appropriate bonus.  Still, the bigger the ship the more bang  you get from the ones who do have bonuses, plus a little gain in build efficiency over building multiple smaller ships.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13021 on: January 22, 2013, 09:41:54 pm »

Even if the governor's bonus affected the ships, the commander bonus would still stack with it. If you use ground-based facilities, you have to deal with additional logistics strain and only get the governor's bonus, whereas if you use orbital modules you have self-transporting terraforming with no colonist requirement, and bonuses for each ship. By the time you get a mid-game terraformer with a good officer things can get absurd, on the order of making Mars habitable in a few months with a single ship.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13022 on: January 22, 2013, 10:08:09 pm »

Testing it, I don't think they stack. Unless 25% of 0.154 is somehow less than 0.0005.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13023 on: January 22, 2013, 10:49:41 pm »

Either way, it's not a big loss. Ye gods, I can't even imagine what a pain in the ass a shipless terraforming bureau would be.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13024 on: January 22, 2013, 11:16:25 pm »

Trying to terraform Titan atm using ground based terraformers, and logistically it seems to require a lot more tonnage of ships that modules would, as there are ships moving infrastructure, ships moving population, ships moving resources for construction of terraforming facilities and installations, and most importantly the fuel use is absurd so i have more ships shipping fuel around and my fuel harvesters can barely keep up, in fact i have to build more harvesters when i could just be building terraforming ships.
However I choose to do this the hard way for RP purposes, I consider that some ground based terraforming might be needed(perhaps mining minerals to get those gases out of) and most importantly i desperately need the population and cash flow (despite the fact that most of my income is going to the terraforming industry).
After all if the human race has been practically wiped out and all that remains is a small habitat orbiting jupiter and a small base on an asteroid, I'm sure repopulating a real planet despite the hostility of it's atmosphere might take some priority.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13025 on: January 22, 2013, 11:25:29 pm »

I seem to remember that Titan couldn't be fully terraformed, at least back in 5.45 or so. Eventually, you couldn't raise the temperature any higher and it was still too cold to bring down to 0.00 habitability.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13026 on: January 23, 2013, 12:09:23 am »

Yeah, you can't get the temperature higher than -43.5, which requires a bit more than 2 atmospheres of safe greenhouse gas.
Still that brings the cost down to .78 which allows a pretty high population per infrastructure.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13027 on: January 23, 2013, 01:51:26 am »

You could always modify the database to change Titan's base temperature. Heck, you can even do it during an active game.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #13028 on: January 23, 2013, 03:54:05 am »

Blame it on the global warming... wait, what?

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13029 on: January 23, 2013, 04:32:49 am »

Yeah, you can't get the temperature higher than -43.5, which requires a bit more than 2 atmospheres of safe greenhouse gas.
Still that brings the cost down to .78 which allows a pretty high population per infrastructure.

How are you getting 0.78 for colony cost? I just checked it out and after stripping out the methane, adding oxygen and green house gas to make it breathable/bring the temp up to the maximum of -43.28 the colony cost is 1.3865.

edit: Just after posting remembered the colony cost reduction techline, which you must already have researched.

edit2: In order to create a human subspecies that can inhabit Titan at colony cost 0 requires 116000 RP, which isn't too bad and can reasonably be done during the time it take to terraform Titan.

75000 +4 degree temp range
35000 -30 degree base temp
6000 New species
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 04:54:34 am by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13030 on: January 23, 2013, 06:16:09 am »

Actually i didn't research cost reduction yet, I think i might have already altered the temperature tolerance by a few degrees.
Edit: Yes, it seems i've modified my race to tolerate 32 degrees from normal rather than 24 degrees.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 06:18:00 am by MarcAFK »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13031 on: January 23, 2013, 06:44:42 am »

Still kinda wish there was cooler stuff to do with genetic manipulation.

Mind you I guess dodging the bullet of making the Space faring hulking race especially good at troop to troop combat... is worth it. Since that was always REALLY stupid to me.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13032 on: January 23, 2013, 07:38:28 am »

But....
They have bones reinforced with naturally occurring carbon fibre, they're tough bastards to kill!
Or something.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13033 on: January 23, 2013, 07:40:31 am »

But....
They have bones reinforced with naturally occurring carbon fibre, they're tough bastards to kill!
Or something.

In a game set in the medieval ages to modern.

With scifi weaponry that is a joke.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13034 on: January 23, 2013, 09:51:00 am »

When I do traditional ground-based terraforming, I sidestep the issue of needing a big logistical snarl of freighters by using civilian shipping. Just crank out some terraforming installations, put a supply contract on them, then put a demand contract wherever you want them. You'll need to ship some infrastructure to boot (to keep the terraforming crew alive while they work), but that's cheap and quick to ship.

Even if there aren't any colonists present to begin with, the terraforming facilities will generate colonist demand, and eventually somebody will start moving colonists. It's a more laid-back approach, but far less of a headache and far cheaper since civvies get their fuel and ships on the open market.

I typically use ground-based terraformers for things in Sol, and save the big Gaias for systems a jump or two away. Given their size, they can only be towed through jumpgates (because I don't feel like building a 600,000+ commercial jump tender). Which isn't a problem really, because I don't want wildcat colonies popping up on the frontier where I haven't had a chance to inspect all the neighboring systems first.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 04:49:57 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 867 868 [869] 870 871 ... 1347