Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 858 859 [860] 861 862 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2816961 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #12885 on: January 03, 2013, 02:29:39 pm »

Design some ships, create them with Fast OOB, transfer them to another empire.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12886 on: January 03, 2013, 03:44:07 pm »

As for weapons choices, missiles are essentially the unopposed master of naval combat, barring a few situations dependent on encountering certain things at certain tech levels.
Of course when you encounter Nebula, all those missiles are rendered useless. :P
Nebulae are few and far between on Real Stars, though. That, and if you do run into one, especially in 6.x, you're probably just going to quarantine it, given the combined decreased range of new version ships and the speed penalties in nebulae, unless it's a very low level one. They do make for good barriers, though.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12887 on: January 03, 2013, 04:55:27 pm »

As for weapons choices, missiles are essentially the unopposed master of naval combat, barring a few situations dependent on encountering certain things at certain tech levels.
Of course when you encounter Nebula, all those missiles are rendered useless. :P
Nebulae are few and far between on Real Stars, though. That, and if you do run into one, especially in 6.x, you're probably just going to quarantine it, given the combined decreased range of new version ships and the speed penalties in nebulae, unless it's a very low level one. They do make for good barriers, though.
Actually, I don't think nebulae show up at all in Real Stars, just as black holes don't show up in non-Real Stars. Although come to think of it, I don't think I've encountered any black holes period since going up to 6.x. They'd be a hell of a lot more dangerous with the lower average speeds on vessels.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12888 on: January 04, 2013, 12:27:24 am »

Actually, I don't think nebulae show up at all in Real Stars, just as black holes don't show up in non-Real Stars. Although come to think of it, I don't think I've encountered any black holes period since going up to 6.x. They'd be a hell of a lot more dangerous with the lower average speeds on vessels.

I know for a fact that black holes showed up in non-RS games in pre-6.x.

3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12889 on: January 04, 2013, 10:00:42 am »

That's odd, I never found any. Although admittedly I rarely play non-RS.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12890 on: January 04, 2013, 12:49:00 pm »

Wow... relearning things... and learning the fancy new morale thing is a doozy.  SM mode to the rescue as I figure out how to make ships not blow up on their own while being as cheap as possible.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12891 on: January 04, 2013, 01:35:11 pm »

Wow... relearning things... and learning the fancy new morale thing is a doozy.  SM mode to the rescue as I figure out how to make ships not blow up on their own while being as cheap as possible.
Morale's not too big of an issue, I usually just set the crew duration to match the maintenance life. And if you tend to bring ships for overhaul ahead of time, you could set to 75% of maintenance life.

Engine design was the big learning curve addition for me. Cue a lot of "Why are my ships so slooooooow? And why are my scouts running out of fuel before leaving Sol??" D:

Fuel efficiency is SRS BSNS.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12892 on: January 04, 2013, 01:51:25 pm »

At this point it honestly feels better to just go with commercial (often scaled-down for frigates and such) drives instead of getting into the speed/fuel feedback cycle. :|

3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12893 on: January 04, 2013, 04:26:20 pm »

At this point it honestly feels better to just go with commercial (often scaled-down for frigates and such) drives instead of getting into the speed/fuel feedback cycle. :|

Nah, I think it works well. I use a standard 5HS, 100% power engine as a "building block" military engine. Then I'll see how many I need to slap on a vessel to get it to the speed I want while still having a satisfactory range. Then take the total HS of engines required and divide it into even portions and research a new engine. So if it took 12 5HS engines, I might redistribute that as 5 12HS engines, or 4 15HS or even 2 30HS engines. Bigger, fewer engines gives you a modest improvement in fuel efficiency and slightly less crew requirement.

For long-range scout/survey ships, I'll make an engine with 0.75 or 0.6 power ratio, sacrificing some speed for much better duration.

For fighters, I'll crank it to the max power ratio, because range isn't really a problem -- they're going to be operating from a carrier or base anyways. I played around with researching a 2HS and 3HS model for fighters (hey, they're really cheap research projects at that size) but since the fuel savings is only 1-2%, it's typically not worth the logistics headaches to deal with anything other than the 1HS base thruster for fighters. And since FACs don't really exist as a hard ship type anymore, I haven't really bothered with designing something along the lines of a FAC engine (say 3-5HS, 1.5 power ratio?)

And for tugs, I typically use an enlarged commercial engine with a 0.3 or 0.4 power ratio, so that fuel is NEVER a problem.

If I have a surplus of Gallicite, then all the military engines get thermal reductions. Civvies never do, unless it's a paramilitary design like a troop transport.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12894 on: January 04, 2013, 06:05:14 pm »

I use only 50hs engines for capital ships, since the -50% fuel use is huge. Which basically means size classes are built around number of engines; a destroyer would have one engine, for example, and therefor probably be around 6000-8000 tons; two engines would be a light cruiser at around 14000-16000, etc. It means losing an engine can be crippling, sure, but has nice advantages in fuel use. Usually I just use 100% power engines for most capitals, and 50% power commercial engines for long range armed survey ships.

For fighters, it's all about the power ratios. This is the big advantage fighters have over capital ships, particularly beam fighters, and the difference can be enormous; a fighter with equal engine tonnage will likely be double or triple the speed of a conventional ship. In fact I've been experimenting with 400-500 ton heavy beam fighters that are basically just small capital ships with high performance engines and most of the fuel/maintenance/cruise duration tonnage shaved off (or rather, moved to the carrier). On the other hand, fighter engine size isn't such a big deal; the difference between a 50 ton engine and a 200 ton engine is only a 3% fuel savings, so usually I just have a 50 ton fighter engine and assign them as needed.

Overall, I like the change. You could go with commercial engines for military vessels, or you could establish a network of harvesters and/or forward outposts and have ships that move at twice the speed (a major advantage in combat), but need to refuel more. Or something in between. It makes for interesting strategic decisions.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12895 on: January 05, 2013, 05:13:33 am »

Or large tankers that goes with the fleet until the last JP. I like having distinct cruise speed and flank speed.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12896 on: January 05, 2013, 04:20:59 pm »

It isn't possible to have tugs haul warships without the warships activating their own drives, is it? You'd need the tugs to be in a separate TG, and I'm fairly certain that wouldn't work, but it would be a nice alternative to building supercarriers, short-ranged warships, or slow warships.

3. Run Resize Enable

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12897 on: January 06, 2013, 02:22:31 pm »

How do you determine how many fire controls you need?  So far I have just been basing my decision off of other designs I have seen.

On my fleet I am designing now, I have PD ships with 20 Size 1 missile launchers, and I use 4 fire controls.  I have Destroyers with 10-15 larger launchers, I usually do 2 or 3 fire controls respectively.  I don't really even know if these extra fire controls are needed but I have been slapping them on just to be sure.

Now I am designing a supplemental PD ship with laser turrets, and I am thinking 1 fire control per quad turret, or 1 fire control for every 2 double-turrets.  Thoughts?

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12898 on: January 06, 2013, 02:28:39 pm »

How do you determine how many fire controls you need?  So far I have just been basing my decision off of other designs I have seen.

On my fleet I am designing now, I have PD ships with 20 Size 1 missile launchers, and I use 4 fire controls.  I have Destroyers with 10-15 larger launchers, I usually do 2 or 3 fire controls respectively.  I don't really even know if these extra fire controls are needed but I have been slapping them on just to be sure.

Now I am designing a supplemental PD ship with laser turrets, and I am thinking 1 fire control per quad turret, or 1 fire control for every 2 double-turrets.  Thoughts?

For anti-missiles, I usually go with six launchers per firecontrol. This is simply because PD options are 1 AMM per missile, 2, or 3, and 6 is nicely divisible by all of those. For anti-ship missiles, I usually just go with one or two for the entire ship; multiple firecontrols do make a salvo slightly harder to shoot down, but usually I find the advantage of more launchers outweighs it. Having a second (or even a third) can also be useful as backup if the first is damaged, though.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12899 on: January 06, 2013, 03:03:30 pm »

Having multiple FCs on larger missile launchers can be useful if you are attacking things that don't need an entire salvo of missiles to take down.
Pages: 1 ... 858 859 [860] 861 862 ... 1347