Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 856 857 [858] 859 860 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817041 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #12855 on: January 01, 2013, 01:26:47 pm »

Why won't it work? Maintenance? Just turn off maintenance in the options.
Morale. Unless you want to make it truly fucking massive/haul it to a colony every couple years.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12856 on: January 01, 2013, 01:51:59 pm »

Recreational Modules? I mean, I'm not an expert on how they work, but shouldn't they improve morale?

They aren't too large in my opinion. I mean, I build frieghters/colony ships three times as large...
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12857 on: January 01, 2013, 02:03:45 pm »

So, are there any up to date tutorials for this?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12858 on: January 01, 2013, 02:06:14 pm »

Recreational Modules? I mean, I'm not an expert on how they work, but shouldn't they improve morale?

They aren't too large in my opinion. I mean, I build frieghters/colony ships three times as large...

They treat the ship as a colony, yes. I had the impression that they were much larger, and I haven't had time/motivation for a proper campaign in post-6.00.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12859 on: January 01, 2013, 02:11:17 pm »

Well, don't get me wrong, they're 100000 so they're fricking massive compared to any military ships you could ever hope to build, but given enough time I'd be willing to bet you'd be pumping out commercial ships even larger.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12860 on: January 01, 2013, 02:19:33 pm »

Well, don't get me wrong, they're 100000 so they're fricking massive compared to any military ships you could ever hope to build, but given enough time I'd be willing to bet you'd be pumping out commercial ships even larger.

100,000. So medium cruiser size then?  :P
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12861 on: January 01, 2013, 02:21:11 pm »

...How long did you spend building a shipyard that can build that?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12862 on: January 01, 2013, 02:23:04 pm »

One way to do it would be to build a commercial station with a rec module and have the military station tractor it, giving you effectively a single station but with the functionality neatly segregated, which also makes them easier to produce.

...How long did you spend building a shipyard that can build that?
A 100,000 ton milyard shouldn't take terribly long (I'd guess <25 years) if you are constantly adding tonnage and don't add extra slipways until you hit the right size

3. Run Resize Enable

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12863 on: January 01, 2013, 02:23:18 pm »

20-30 years? Conventional start with continual capacity expansion tends to leave you with big yards by the time you actually want to build real ships.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12864 on: January 01, 2013, 02:31:25 pm »

Also, is it me, or is Geological Survey significantly weaker than in previous versions? 9 planets/moons in Sol and only once did I find anything before the survey was over.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12865 on: January 01, 2013, 04:35:59 pm »

It has varied. If the team survey doesn't generate a larger quantity than what is already present for a mineral, you don't receive any extra unlike the old system and you only get one shot for each mineral. However when you do find something it is usually a significant quantity.

Priority of bodies to survey has altered now to surveying the smallest moons that don't have minerals first before larger moons/planets as smaller bodies now take less time to survey. Asteroids/comets are the fastest to survey, but the limited quantities on them makes them less important to survey, unless there is already a CMC there that has extracted a good portion of the minerals present, in which case a survey can find more to keep it going longer.

Sometimes the RNG hates you however and you can't seem to find anything.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12866 on: January 01, 2013, 05:19:05 pm »

It's best to start with empty or nearly empty bodies and not do ones with appreciable reserves until they're nearly dry, yes.

3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12867 on: January 01, 2013, 05:32:49 pm »

Most of the bodies I were surveying were empty and/or had only concentrations of a few minerals.

And I'm beginning to think the RNG wants to kick my pants.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12868 on: January 01, 2013, 09:35:33 pm »

Another Star Trek idea that won't work in Aurora: Build Deep Space Nine.  Yes, enjoy the fun fun fun of an orbital platform that is a military vessel (remember, Deep Space Nine destroyed Klingon Ships...so it's armed).
Well technically you could since DS9 actually orbits bajor which means you would get the morale benefit of the planet, though ironically the cardassians on bajor might get a morale boost kmnowing they have a bigass battlestation orbiting their unruly colony.
Looking at it's specs on memory alpha I'm going to see if i can make a decent mockup.
Edit: i just realised that Terak nor was origonally built as a Uridium mining station, Uridium in star trek is used for sensors and computer systems, just as it is in Aurora.
Hmmm, Allong with (Boronite)Boronide, Gallicite, Neutronium, Tritanium, And Vendarite.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 10:24:14 pm by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12869 on: January 01, 2013, 11:02:02 pm »

Another Star Trek idea that won't work in Aurora: Build Deep Space Nine.  Yes, enjoy the fun fun fun of an orbital platform that is a military vessel (remember, Deep Space Nine destroyed Klingon Ships...so it's armed).
Well technically you could since DS9 actually orbits bajor which means you would get the morale benefit of the planet, though ironically the cardassians on bajor might get a morale boost kmnowing they have a bigass battlestation orbiting their unruly colony.
Looking at it's specs on memory alpha I'm going to see if i can make a decent mockup.
Edit: i just realised that Terak nor was origonally built as a Uridium mining station, Uridium in star trek is used for sensors and computer systems, just as it is in Aurora.
Hmmm, Allong with (Boronite)Boronide, Gallicite, Neutronium, Tritanium, And Vendarite.

I'm fairly sure all of the minerals in Aurora are from Star Trek, actually.
Pages: 1 ... 856 857 [858] 859 860 ... 1347