Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 841 842 [843] 844 845 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817602 times)

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #12630 on: November 26, 2012, 06:44:00 pm »

.50% power or below and 25 HS or above is a commercial engine.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12631 on: November 26, 2012, 08:17:43 pm »

Why do I keep getting a "Message recieved" in the event's box?  Each time it is either years, or one or two letters like ye, r, ea, or something along those lines.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Endymion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12632 on: November 26, 2012, 09:43:09 pm »

Wow, my first 6.2 game is trolling me right off the bat.

Create a Geosurvey team on Earth>SURVEY COMPLETE ONE TURN LATER NOTHING ELSE CAN BE FOUND LOLOLOLOL.

Should've waited until I could survey other bodies. Sigh.
6.x mechanics. You should have waited until you were almost out of T/Ns on Earth.  :P

Homeworlds start flagged as having already had the survey complete.
Watching Wizard of Oz while listening to Dark Side of the Moon on shuffle.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12633 on: November 26, 2012, 09:50:09 pm »

Wow, my first 6.2 game is trolling me right off the bat.

Create a Geosurvey team on Earth>SURVEY COMPLETE ONE TURN LATER NOTHING ELSE CAN BE FOUND LOLOLOLOL.

Should've waited until I could survey other bodies. Sigh.
6.x mechanics. You should have waited until you were almost out of T/Ns on Earth.  :P

Homeworlds start flagged as having already had the survey complete.

That's right, I forgot about that tidbit. Mostly because my 6.00 campaign ground to a halt around 40 years in, thanks in no small part to too much EUIII. :|

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12634 on: November 27, 2012, 03:38:03 am »

I am using 5.45 at the moment.
Is it worth upgrading to 6.2 or another version?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12635 on: November 27, 2012, 05:06:00 am »

Continual capacity expansion seems broken, i should one day register on the aurora forums so i can post bugs.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12636 on: November 27, 2012, 05:30:10 am »

Continual capacity expansion seems broken, i should one day register on the aurora forums so i can post bugs.

How is it broken in your game? I just checked and it seems to be working fine in my 6.21 test game.

I am using 5.45 at the moment.
Is it worth upgrading to 6.2 or another version?

I would say yes as there have been a large number of new mechanics added and most of the bigger bugs have been dealt with. Only real reason to keep running an old version is if you have a game running that you don't want to abandon yet.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 05:33:33 am by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #12637 on: November 27, 2012, 06:28:36 am »

So I updated to the latest version (6.21) and decided to use my previous knowledge of the game to my advantage.

Since asteroid miners, terraformers and sorium harvesters rarely need to move, I thought "Why not design them without the need to move at all and just tug them into place?". My question to you is; will this design work?

Code: [Select]
Spiculum class Asteroid Miner    102,750 tons     1007 Crew     2898.7 BP      TCS 2055  TH 0  EM 0
1 km/s     Armour 1-195     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 0
MSP 4    Max Repair 120 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months    Spare Berths 1   
Asteroid Miner: 20 module(s) producing 200 tons per mineral per annum

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

(Also has a tiny engineering space. Do commercial ships even need engineering spaces?)

It's essentially just a giant mining station.

EDIT: Is there a formula for the speed a ship-to-ship tractor beam pulls another ship?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 06:33:18 am by Azated »
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12638 on: November 27, 2012, 06:47:15 am »

So I updated to the latest version (6.21) and decided to use my previous knowledge of the game to my advantage.

Since asteroid miners, terraformers and sorium harvesters rarely need to move, I thought "Why not design them without the need to move at all and just tug them into place?". My question to you is; will this design work?

Spiculum class Asteroid Miner    102,750 tons     1007 Crew     2898.7 BP      TCS 2055  TH 0  EM 0
1 km/s     Armour 1-195     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 0

(Also has a tiny engineering space. Do commercial ships even need engineering spaces?)

EDIT: Is there a formula for the speed a ship-to-ship tractor beam pulls another ship?

It should work, as long as it's fully crewed. And yes, commercial ship need one engineering space at minimum, but not really more, just to be buildable.

IIRC it's pretty much mass of tug plus mass of first tractored object divided by thrust, pretty much just mass from tractored object added to the ship. ( No idea if they fixed tractor chain or the extra stuff beyond first not counting mass-wise )

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12639 on: November 27, 2012, 09:44:03 am »

It'll work, but with a 3 month deployment time, the crew will likely be ready to go home before the tug even gets them into position. For long-term ships like terraformers and miners, you want really long deployment times. I've been going with 60 months (5 years) for the stuff designed to operate in Sol. For extra-solar vessels, you may want to increase that considerably. I've seen a few people post designs with 1200 month deployments (100 years!).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12640 on: November 27, 2012, 10:28:01 am »

How is it broken in your game? I just checked and it seems to be working fine in my 6.21 test game.

Actually it seems my shipyard was set to "pause" but when on continual capacity expansion there was no actual notification of it being paused. It was visible when i switched to something else, like 1000 ton expansion.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12641 on: November 27, 2012, 10:34:26 am »

It'll work, but with a 3 month deployment time, the crew will likely be ready to go home before the tug even gets them into position. For long-term ships like terraformers and miners, you want really long deployment times. I've been going with 60 months (5 years) for the stuff designed to operate in Sol. For extra-solar vessels, you may want to increase that considerably. I've seen a few people post designs with 1200 month deployments (100 years!).

Does it really affect it's function, though? Seems like it only affect military-related matters, from what I've seen said on Aurora forum, not civilian things. At least I saw Steve mentioning that he'd turn off morale warning for non-military ships either in current or future version.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12642 on: November 27, 2012, 10:58:01 am »

Took a bit of digging to find this post:
"No Morale Message for Unaffected Ships

This is a v6.20 change.

Morale messages will now only be shown for ships that are likely to be affected by low morale. This includes armed ships and survey ships. As a reminder, morale modifies crew training and fleet training scores, so the factors affected by low morale are:

Weapon accuracy
Survey speed
Maintenance failures
Transit delays for weapons/sensors
Speed of response to orders during combat

So freighters, colony ships, fuel harvesters, terrafomers, jump gate construction ships and all the other 'commercial' type classes, are very unlikely to be affected by morale. Aurora has its own internal classification for designs based on what they contain, so if you decide to put a weapon on a terraformer for example, Aurora will class that as a warship for the purposes of determining whether to show morale messages.

Steve"

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12643 on: November 27, 2012, 01:55:27 pm »

So yeah, your mine will react less quickly during a combat. But since they can only look threatening and try to bulge (and failing), there is not much point.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Endymion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12644 on: November 27, 2012, 02:22:16 pm »

"Captain, hostile contacts on the sensors!"

"We don't have sensors, Jeff"

"Erm..."

"Nevermind, bring us about, plot an intercept course, raise shields, and prepare to fire main weapons."

"Sir.... we're a mining station. We don't have any of those things..."

"Well... target them with our mining modules. We'll turn that scum into neatly ordered piles of base elements."
Watching Wizard of Oz while listening to Dark Side of the Moon on shuffle.
Pages: 1 ... 841 842 [843] 844 845 ... 1347