Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 840 841 [842] 843 844 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817591 times)

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #12615 on: November 26, 2012, 01:27:22 am »

Quote from: Steve
The fuel requirements of shields are now negligible

Very cool.

no, he raised them 24x. read the whole thing.

Oh, damn. I didn't see that.

Also,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Are shipyards that big normal for a start, or did I change some option by mistake?
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12616 on: November 26, 2012, 01:53:20 am »

Those top three are commercial shipyards. Them being that big isn't something to be shocked about in my opinion.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #12617 on: November 26, 2012, 02:06:39 am »

It just seems like alot of space to start with. My previous game only had one commercial shipyard with about 30,000 tons of space.

Yet another question: Is it cheaper overall to build asteroid miners (An entire ship, consisting of all necessary components) instead of building automated mines and then using civilian freighters to haul them for me?
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12618 on: November 26, 2012, 03:46:08 am »

It just seems like alot of space to start with. My previous game only had one commercial shipyard with about 30,000 tons of space.

Yet another question: Is it cheaper overall to build asteroid miners (An entire ship, consisting of all necessary components) instead of building automated mines and then using civilian freighters to haul them for me?

I don't know if cost's changed for current version, but I did saw an analysis for 5.60 and it did turned out to be cheaper to have asteroid miners, in term of BP cost to mining output, than autominer. At least if they're tugged, engines are expensive :D Still gonna need at least one freighter shipment of mass driver. Also, unless things' changed, shipping lines really don't like to ship stuff to unpopulated outposts and orbital habitats.

Regular mines are still cheaper than either, but they need orbital habitats, which can get expensive real quick.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12619 on: November 26, 2012, 07:51:37 am »

But i like the animal pictures, at least i hope space bees still have that awesome sea lice image.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12620 on: November 26, 2012, 11:12:53 am »

30,000 tons is almost nothing in terms of commercial shipping. Incidentally, the number and size of your starting shipyards are affected by your government type and economic/industrial modifiers.

Also, re: Recreational Module: THANK KHORNE.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 11:15:54 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12621 on: November 26, 2012, 11:21:11 am »

Wow, my first 6.2 game is trolling me right off the bat.

Create a Geosurvey team on Earth>SURVEY COMPLETE ONE TURN LATER NOTHING ELSE CAN BE FOUND LOLOLOLOL.

Should've waited until I could survey other bodies. Sigh.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12622 on: November 26, 2012, 11:21:39 am »

I don't know if cost's changed for current version, but I did saw an analysis for 5.60 and it did turned out to be cheaper to have asteroid miners, in term of BP cost to mining output, than autominer. At least if they're tugged, engines are expensive :D Still gonna need at least one freighter shipment of mass driver. Also, unless things' changed, shipping lines really don't like to ship stuff to unpopulated outposts and orbital habitats.

Regular mines are still cheaper than either, but they need orbital habitats, which can get expensive real quick.

Went to check out the numbers since it was bugging me that I gave something vague while I had 5.60 save available right here with all tech enabled.

Code: [Select]
140 duranium
40.5 neutronium
5 corbomite
10 mercassium
120 corundim
315.5 BP, 140 mineral per annum (2.25 BP per annum minerals )
2 asteroid mining module, 1 crew module, 1 bridge, 1 engineering space ( 1 asteroid mining module uses 60 corundim, 60 duranium and 100 crew for 70 mineral per annum, giving 1.71 BP per annum minerals )

120 duranium
120 corundim
240 BP, 70 minerals per annum (3.43 BP per annum minerals )
Automated mine

Maxed tech, yes, but it still illustrate relative relationship. As asteroid mining platform gets bigger, it does get slightly cheaper due to bridge being smaller and smaller fraction of cost. The armor tech could raise/lower the price there, but it's hard to best. There is one issue, you need shipyard able to build it, the prototype I used for cost example weights 10,200 tonnes. There're gearing up costs with duranium and neutronium, which makes asteroid miners less economical on BP points relatively. On positive side, civilian shipyards are relatively cheap to expand and not needing engines and retrofitting ( it automatically improves with mining tech ) makes them even cheaper if you already have tugs around.

I checked into regular mine with orbital habitat, but it costs more than automated mines on BP points for each mine :D

There could be another advantage, needing less hauling infrastructure. All it need is one shipment of mass driver and one tug to haul it, getting better with larger and larger mining platform ( if Aurora's still calculating fuel usage by distance, not by time ).

Now, as I've said, I don't know if costs changed  in more current versions, since I'm still playing on 5.60.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12623 on: November 26, 2012, 11:28:39 am »

Wow, my first 6.2 game is trolling me right off the bat.

Create a Geosurvey team on Earth>SURVEY COMPLETE ONE TURN LATER NOTHING ELSE CAN BE FOUND LOLOLOLOL.

Should've waited until I could survey other bodies. Sigh.
6.x mechanics. You should have waited until you were almost out of T/Ns on Earth.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12624 on: November 26, 2012, 11:38:09 am »

Yeah, you're right, I should've rechecked the new mechanics.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #12625 on: November 26, 2012, 01:34:26 pm »

I really don't get why Steve hates geologists. Maybe he aught to, once and for all, just roll the TN mineral content of each body and then allow all these separate survey things to approach that value over time?

Then, at least, different empires could extract different amounts of resources from planets because one knows more about it than the other.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12626 on: November 26, 2012, 01:45:24 pm »

You should tell him that.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12627 on: November 26, 2012, 02:33:57 pm »

I really don't get why Steve hates geologists. Maybe he aught to, once and for all, just roll the TN mineral content of each body and then allow all these separate survey things to approach that value over time?

Then, at least, different empires could extract different amounts of resources from planets because one knows more about it than the other.

I don't think he hates them as much as is annoyed with old mechanism being too 'exploity', I did noticed he's changed some stuffs in past for similar reasons.

Then again, half of the game mechanisms seems half-finished and sloppy in hindsight, probably not expecting some happening and abuse :D

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12628 on: November 26, 2012, 06:10:01 pm »

Everyone, a quick bugfix patch 6.21 has been released. It is not a database patch, so your saved games should not be affected.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12629 on: November 26, 2012, 06:39:26 pm »

You can make commercial engines, they just have to be large.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 840 841 [842] 843 844 ... 1347