Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 837 838 [839] 840 841 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817751 times)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #12570 on: November 23, 2012, 05:35:54 am »

Your ship is too slow to take on mason-armed FAC. Because of it's armor-ignoring properties, mason FAC will start shredding your internals immediately, and a couple lucky shots into reactors tends to end things quickly.

Your counter could be introducing missile-armed combatants - if you can start the battle at 50m km out, it can give you time to pop a lot of the enemy craft. Alternatively, you might be able to produce a laser-armed FAC that are at least slightly faster then then the enemy version. At that point, your FAC can 'follow' the enemy at a set distance where they can plink away with their laser and still be out of range of the enemy mason cannon, which has a fairly short range.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12571 on: November 23, 2012, 05:40:31 am »

I'd guess that every time you do anything it does indeed write a bunch of stuff to HD, because the game is really just a complex database with a UI on it (literally). I'm not aware of any optimizing having been done recently, but Steve doesn't write about every code change he does (he doesn't even keep a changelog outside of his posts on the forums when he's done something) so it might have been done anyway, but it's fairly unlikely for there to have been anything terribly noticable even if he has since Aurora is a game he has made for himself that he's just chosen to distribute, so there's not a lot of motivation for him to do that instead of playing or coding more interesting things.
Was kind of hoping at some point it could run entirely in RAM, rather than re-saving the entire database every tick. If it's not running faster for anyone else compared to about a year ago, I think I'll pass on it until the Aurora II.

There're a way to mount a folder into RAM and run things there. However I'm not too familiar with it beyond it's called RAM drive/disk and that there're some programs to do it on windows.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12572 on: November 23, 2012, 07:29:16 am »

How can I move people onto a new planet? I have made mars livable and have enough infrastructure there but what do I do now?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12573 on: November 23, 2012, 07:53:50 am »

Your ship is too slow to take on mason-armed FAC. Because of it's armor-ignoring properties, mason FAC will start shredding your internals immediately, and a couple lucky shots into reactors tends to end things quickly.

Your counter could be introducing missile-armed combatants - if you can start the battle at 50m km out, it can give you time to pop a lot of the enemy craft. Alternatively, you might be able to produce a laser-armed FAC that are at least slightly faster then then the enemy version. At that point, your FAC can 'follow' the enemy at a set distance where they can plink away with their laser and still be out of range of the enemy mason cannon, which has a fairly short range.

Adding on to what Hanzoku said, you can check some stats of the alien ship through the diplomacy screen under the tactical intelligence tab. I don't know the keyboard short-cut for it, but if you open F3 you can get to it through the button that looks like a grey. Knowing exactly how fast they are, and how long-ranged their beams are. Oh, and if you go with missile spam, you'll still want to design and build a beam-ship to destroy the carrier. She has good PD and lots of shields, so missile spam doesn't always work. Kiting her with a bunch of beam ships is more cost-effective.

How can I move people onto a new planet? I have made mars livable and have enough infrastructure there but what do I do now?

You'll need to make a colony ship with cryogenic transport to move colonists around. Alternatively, dump tons of money into a shipping company and they'll eventually build some for you. I tend to go with the later, because your companies also build freighters to move infrastructure to your new colonies and you can commission them to transport other things too.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12574 on: November 23, 2012, 08:00:12 am »

Cool, thanks for the info.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12575 on: November 23, 2012, 09:10:59 am »

Finally made contact with an alien species, and the first of my two fleets were destroyed almost immediately.  I then send my other fleet to secure the jump point on my side, and it's again destroyed with little effort.  Is it normal for the enemy to have a 60,000 ton ship with 600 shields, 13 meson cannons, and then carry 16 fighters, which area also armed with meson cannons?  Also, other then my lack of ECM ability (That's the main thing that killed me.  I was unable to engage at range, and was well within point defense range by the time I could actually fire), what is wrong with this ship (Since I was only able to get three kills total.  On the 600 ton fighters)
Lexington class Battlecruiser    21,550 tons     1885 Crew     4938 BP      TCS 431  TH 420  EM 0
2784 km/s     Armour 9-68     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 29     PPV 107.64
Maint Life 4.97 Years     MSP 2721    AFR 195%    IFR 2.7%    1YR 183    5YR 2752    Max Repair 394 MSP
Flag Bridge    Cargo Handling Multiplier 5   

Magneto-plasma Drive E7 (15)    Power 80    Fuel Use 70%    Signature 28    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 700,000 Litres    Range 83.5 billion km   (347 days at full power)

Twin ASL  Turret (4x2)    Range 256,000km     TS: 6000 km/s     Power 20-8     RM 4    ROF 15        10 10 10 10 8 6 5 5 4 4
Twin PDL Turret (4x2)    Range 120,000km     TS: 16000 km/s     Power 6-8     RM 4    ROF 5        3 3 3 3 2 2 1 1 1 1
ASL  (2)    Range 256,000km     TS: 4000 km/s     Power 10-4     RM 4    ROF 15        10 10 10 10 8 6 5 5 4 4
CIWS-160 (3x6)    Range 1000 km     TS: 16000 km/s     ROF 5       Base 50% To Hit
Fire Control Main (3)    Max Range: 256,000 km   TS: 6000 km/s     96 92 88 84 80 77 73 69 65 61
Fire Control Point Defense (3)    Max Range: 96,000 km   TS: 16000 km/s     90 79 69 58 48 38 27 17 6 0
Stellarator Fusion Reactor Technology PB-1.1 (4)     Total Power Output 105.6    Armour 0    Exp 10%

Active Search Sensor PD (1)     GPS 42     Range 2.5m km    Resolution 1
Active Search Sensor Fleet (1)     GPS 1575     Range 42.3m km    Resolution 5

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
As others have said, that's no ordinary carrier/fighters you're up against. Those are SPACE BEES.

You have two real options: long-range missile spam, or very fast ships (10000+ km/s) with fairly long-range beams. The latter option takes more tech research, but is cheaper to implement. A single fast beamer can eventually take out all the fighters without damage by waiting for them to pursue, then steadily allowing them to catch up until in weapons range (but outside their meson range) and firing for *hours* until they're all dead. The good news is that with the engine changes in 6.0, this is now feasible even at lower engine techs.

Taking out the "Queen" is trickier. I've never gotten around to it in any of my games. Typically, when I found a system with a Swarm presence, I just interdicted that system and never visited again. With the 6.0 update, their AI seems to be more aggressive. Last game I ran, a Queen killed my scout, then headed directly for Earth and irradiated the planet while wreaking havoc on everything in its path.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12576 on: November 23, 2012, 10:23:27 am »

Well, the solution for the Queen is MOAR DAKKA. Seriously. You need to drop that shield, which mean two things: either tons of missiles, or a lot of beam DPS. The good news is that since it's slow, you can simply make a second custom-made class of ships, like your Drone killer but with less engines and more guns.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12577 on: November 23, 2012, 10:31:48 am »

Or a single large calibre meson cannon and some time.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12578 on: November 23, 2012, 11:03:06 am »

I'd guess that every time you do anything it does indeed write a bunch of stuff to HD, because the game is really just a complex database with a UI on it (literally). I'm not aware of any optimizing having been done recently, but Steve doesn't write about every code change he does (he doesn't even keep a changelog outside of his posts on the forums when he's done something) so it might have been done anyway, but it's fairly unlikely for there to have been anything terribly noticable even if he has since Aurora is a game he has made for himself that he's just chosen to distribute, so there's not a lot of motivation for him to do that instead of playing or coding more interesting things.
Was kind of hoping at some point it could run entirely in RAM, rather than re-saving the entire database every tick. If it's not running faster for anyone else compared to about a year ago, I think I'll pass on it until the Aurora II.
There're a way to mount a folder into RAM and run things there. However I'm not too familiar with it beyond it's called RAM drive/disk and that there're some programs to do it on windows.
Note that if you do this you'll have to remember to copy the database back onto your HD, otherwise you'll lose everything you did when you turn your computer off.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12579 on: November 23, 2012, 11:16:14 am »

Well I've decided that since Steve isn't going to release 6.2 any time soon, I might as well start on that whole Matryoshka missile idea.

Anyways I can't really wrap my head around the new engine designs. I'm having trouble getting my freighters to a manageable size while not moving at a crawl.

FAKEEDIT: Did Steve change the cargobay sizes when I wasn't looking? Is the small verison equal to a normal cargo bay pre 6.0? I can't find anything like that in the changelog.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12580 on: November 23, 2012, 11:36:12 am »

FAKEEDIT: Did Steve change the cargobay sizes when I wasn't looking? Is the small verison equal to a normal cargo bay pre 6.0? I can't find anything like that in the changelog.
Yes

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12581 on: November 23, 2012, 11:56:01 am »

You'll need to make a colony ship with cryogenic transport to move colonists around. Alternatively, dump tons of money into a shipping company and they'll eventually build some for you. I tend to go with the later, because your companies also build freighters to move infrastructure to your new colonies and you can commission them to transport other things too.

You can even use liners for this purpose too, if the cryo aren't researched or is roleplaying a heavy shuttle craft like I does sometimes. I've noticed that if there're not enough colony ships, the civilians will use liners one-way. At least in 5.60 they did more often than not :D

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12582 on: November 23, 2012, 12:07:45 pm »

Yes

Well then putting 5 of them on one ship was a stupid idea. Thanks for the help, it's perfectly fine now.

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12583 on: November 23, 2012, 12:28:50 pm »

Also more tips on the HFS swarm: make sure your fast ships have 1 Armour and as little other things as possible. If you build several of them you can take down the queen too. Also remember that you can set your speed to 10k km/s in the task group window so that you can stay in range of your lasers (i had 25cm's last time) but still be out of range of the mesons on the fighters and queen.

for reference i used these to take down the fights. I had 6 and took out a 60+ swarm

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12584 on: November 23, 2012, 12:39:21 pm »

Yes

Well then putting 5 of them on one ship was a stupid idea. Thanks for the help, it's perfectly fine now.
That would equal 25 pre 6.0 standard cargo bays. I can see the problem.
Pages: 1 ... 837 838 [839] 840 841 ... 1347