Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 825 826 [827] 828 829 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818133 times)

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #12390 on: November 12, 2012, 03:34:45 pm »

For once I don't have to be the one to advocate nuclear strikes and enslavement.

Heh, a good one. At least for me, TO THE SIG YOU GO

This is actually an interesting politics regarding NPRs - put a stealthered nuclear bomber in their orbit, as stated earlier, and make them a puppet nation, a bank account with interest - and as far as I know a 'bank' and 'interest' in one sentence are something goddamn good.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12391 on: November 12, 2012, 05:37:23 pm »

I hope, and suspect, that he's fairly good at online poker?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12392 on: November 12, 2012, 06:10:16 pm »

There's no such thing as over-subsidizing. I dumped ~30,000 wealth each into 2 lines before.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12393 on: November 12, 2012, 06:12:54 pm »

Conquering and enslavement will come once I have suffecient ground and space forces to fight a war. I prefer to have my planets without radioactivity, please. Also, my current navy consists of a tech 3 carrier and four fighters.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12394 on: November 12, 2012, 10:02:45 pm »

One technical question, and a few game related ones.
I'm trying to access the system view on 5.5.4, and I'm getting this-
Error 713 was generated by Aurora
Class not registered.
You need the folowing file to be installed on your machine. MSSTDFMT.DLL
Please report to -website link-
Where is the best place to download this file, what do I do with it, and are there any other solutions to this? 

First off, is it possible to weaponize terraforming?  Like equipping a ship with a terraforming module, putting it in orbit around an enemy planet, and then making it uninhabitable for the other empire?
Secondly, if it is possible, is it practical, and what is the most efficient way of doing this?
Lastly, can you use nuclear winter as a terraforming option? 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #12395 on: November 12, 2012, 10:14:41 pm »

Did you follow the install instructions?

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,1830.0.html

The setup.exe is an old Microsoft install program, it should install and register all the required dlls. Just make sure you click YES to KEEP all the dll files it finds you have that are newer.

It's one of those old crappy MS install programs that makes it easy to screw up your system by having a "no to all" button when what you really want to click is a "yes to all" because "no to all" is like saying "yes please screw up my Windows install."
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12396 on: November 12, 2012, 10:29:41 pm »

The install does not install MSSTDFMT.DLL if I recall correctly.

Lightningfalcon, the bottom of the first post has the file, but the image on how to activate it is broken and I don't recall the steps. You could try placing the file in the Aurora directory itself instead of the syswow directory, but I'm not sure whether that's me remembering people saying to do it that way or just my mind making things up.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12397 on: November 12, 2012, 10:41:01 pm »

First off, is it possible to weaponize terraforming?  Like equipping a ship with a terraforming module, putting it in orbit around an enemy planet, and then making it uninhabitable for the other empire?
Secondly, if it is possible, is it practical, and what is the most efficient way of doing this?
Lastly, can you use nuclear winter as a terraforming option?
1) Yes
2) Get to friendly status so they don't attack your terraformer, build a terraformer, orbit over the planet after making a colony there (an empty one, just made for technical purposes), set to add methane if they breath oxygen or oxygen if they breath methane.  The smallest amount will start killing them off, unless they have infrastructural.  You can also add one of the acids and other toxic gases.  But it really isn't all that practical, you may kill off a few million over a month or something like that (it's a % based of pop amount).
3) If you want the planet cold and to have slower (and possibly negative) pop growth with a cut in industrial capacity.  What you want is atmospheric dust, which any attack makes but nukes add it and radiation.  Dust just cuts the temp.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12398 on: November 12, 2012, 11:04:36 pm »

Do note that with a multi-billion alien population, that takes a looong time. It also kills off potential taxable population and never triggers a surrender.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12399 on: November 12, 2012, 11:36:34 pm »

It tells you how to install the library.

Just open up the command prompt (in administer mode) and enter "regsvr32 msstdfmt.dll" after extracting the file to the SysWOW64 folder. If you did everything right, it should work.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12400 on: November 13, 2012, 09:20:36 am »

You can drive their temperature to negative Kelvins with enough Safe Anti-greenhouse Gas.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #12401 on: November 13, 2012, 10:56:44 am »

I've always wanted to try a planet-buster barrage with a pure size 100 warhead
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12402 on: November 13, 2012, 12:04:28 pm »

I've always wanted to try a planet-buster barrage with a pure size 100 warhead
So something like this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
From the high tech level game I've been playing around in while waiting for the next bugfix patch.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #12403 on: November 13, 2012, 12:36:22 pm »

Yep. I kind of want to sacrifice a little bit of power just so I can have a tiny engine, enough so that if there's a crippled enemy ship I can drop off this thing a few km away and have it drift over. On the other hand, that defeats the purpose of making the largest possible bomb.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12404 on: November 13, 2012, 12:43:05 pm »

Yep. I kind of want to sacrifice a little bit of power just so I can have a tiny engine, enough so that if there's a crippled enemy ship I can drop off this thing a few km away and have it drift over. On the other hand, that defeats the purpose of making the largest possible bomb.

Well, 3000 isn't an even square. Clearly it should have a tiny engine and a bit of fuel, and only have a 2916 warhead. This would let it penetrate a nice 53 layers of armor.
Pages: 1 ... 825 826 [827] 828 829 ... 1347