Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 820 821 [822] 823 824 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818218 times)

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #12315 on: November 04, 2012, 07:14:27 am »

You can see how much money you have (including an indication of whether it is going up or down) at the top of the populations window, which also has a tab to show you exactly how much money you are getting, where you are getting it from, how much money you are spending and what you are spending it on. You can also spend money on a direct injection into a civilian shipping line.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12316 on: November 04, 2012, 07:32:15 am »

You pay 1 wealth for each point of contruction/research/etc. Research, industry construction and shipyard modification(assuming you keep continual capacity expansion on) tend to be the biggest expenses.

I find I only tend to run into cashflow issues if I neglect to research the expand civilian economy techs at the same time as I research the improved research/construction/etc techs. Starting from a conventional start also gives you a big cash reserve as the early years you usually have minimal expenses while the population grows and pays tax.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12317 on: November 04, 2012, 12:49:44 pm »

Hmm...I'll have to test that because it's indicating an infinitesimally small number of geosurvey points generated.

I've found them to be useful for a first-wave scout ship. Put four or five down on the bodies most likely to have minerals and get your results in a few months.

Razzgafrazzin....didn't realize buoys were totally bugged in 6.00 (which is what I have installed). Build cycles completely stop if one is deployed. There goes that game... ::)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12318 on: November 04, 2012, 01:56:13 pm »

Thanks for the explainations guys!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12319 on: November 04, 2012, 03:18:34 pm »

Hmm...I'll have to test that because it's indicating an infinitesimally small number of geosurvey points generated.

I've found them to be useful for a first-wave scout ship. Put four or five down on the bodies most likely to have minerals and get your results in a few months.

Razzgafrazzin....didn't realize buoys were totally bugged in 6.00 (which is what I have installed). Build cycles completely stop if one is deployed. There goes that game... ::)

IIRC you should be able to detonate them. Though that might only work for missiles with warheads.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12320 on: November 04, 2012, 04:31:08 pm »

Nope! All missiles can be remotely detonated from the combat window.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12321 on: November 06, 2012, 03:55:49 pm »

I feel I have finally overcome the start of the learning curve in this game but I am unsure how to proceed, I have some terraformers on mars, a small battle group and a bunch of scouts zipping around. I am currently making some long-ranged scouts to go through the Jump point things. Any advice on colonies/industry?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12322 on: November 06, 2012, 04:59:07 pm »

While terraforming colonies with insufficient infrastructure to support the populace (or not enough military ships), drop some ground troops. As unrest rises, productivity drops until your colony is producing literally no minerals at all and terraforming stalls.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12323 on: November 06, 2012, 05:09:05 pm »

Don't make too many populated colonies at once if you are relying on civilian freighters to supply the infrastructure that is produced as a trade good, they have a tendancy to focus on one colony leaving the others to whither. Also remember when you start making colonies in other systems, civilian ships require a jumpgate to be built on both sides of the connecting jumppoints in order to start trading.

Have around 20% of your industry continually producing more factories, 20% producing mines/automines, and 20%-40% producing research labs, with the remainder producing whatever else you currently need.

Note that if you want to terraform in a reasonable timeframe, you will need a lot of terraformers and research the terraformer speed techs.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #12324 on: November 07, 2012, 02:01:10 pm »

So I'm running a probably over-ambitious LP game. It will have two forum-managed sides and I'll try to run it as a GM more than a player. Let me know what you guys think.

The main thing about it is that it starts with near-maximum technology, so it will hopefully be fast and active.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12325 on: November 07, 2012, 04:39:46 pm »

Have around 20% of your industry continually producing more factories, 20% producing mines/automines, and 20%-40% producing research labs, with the remainder producing whatever else you currently need.

Weird, I prefer to concentrate all my research labs on Earth, this way I don't have to micromanage them that much.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12326 on: November 07, 2012, 04:43:07 pm »

He is talking about his HW production.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12327 on: November 07, 2012, 07:33:59 pm »

Yeah, homeworld construction is what I was talking about as it takes a good period of time to get any appreciable level of construction going on another colony, by which time you will usually be starting to specalize your colonies.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12328 on: November 07, 2012, 10:04:36 pm »

I'd say at minimum ~25% of your industry should always be churning out labs, at least until you hit around 600 labs. Honestly, I'd never really recommend doing research anywhere but your HW either, unless you've got RP motivations for it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12329 on: November 07, 2012, 10:53:34 pm »

Or your expedition finds 5 labs in a ruins (out of a 26 facility ruins).  If I run into labs from ruins I usually turn the colony they are found on into where I research Bio tech, since it's usually 1 lab and I don't consider genetics that great out side of RP.  To get far enough that you could colonize worlds that can't be terraformed to fit normal humans/your race it's pretty far down the tech tree.  Also adding terraforming to the tree doesn't make me wan't to research the original bio techs any more than I did before, just added a reason for me to use my bio scientists in my normal games.
Pages: 1 ... 820 821 [822] 823 824 ... 1347