Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 819 820 [821] 822 823 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818190 times)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #12300 on: November 03, 2012, 03:41:43 am »

Wondering if any of you can help this new problem I'm having - I've not made an account on the Aurora forums yet, so it's easier to ask here.

I've played a game across several days now.  The seconds per update setting's at 86400 - an update each game day (in case that has anything to do with the problem) and I've decided I enjoy playing with the f3 window and the events screen up as autoturns tick 1 day away at a time.  Then I multitask with another window.  This works for me, I can see buttons and windows and all's good.

Occasionally the events window would hide itself for no apparent reason.  Clicking it's minimized tab would usually reveal it again; clicking again on the f3 screen's symbol for the events window would usually reveal it; very rarely neither of those tricks would work and I'd close the game, then reopen it and all the windows would work normally again.  A little unpredictable and seeming a bit buggy, but very playable through 16 game years.

But now the window's gone and hidden itself but good.  Clicking on the f3 screen's event window button appears to open it, but it never shows itself.  Clicking on its window's tab shows it exists, but doesn't maximize it.  The tab itself does not show the normal window in tiny form, but shows an empty window's box.  A right click on the tab allows me to try and move it, which takes my mouse to the upper left corner of the screen and shows a change to the mouse icon, as if I were dragging something, but no matter where I click nothing appears.

I searched the Aurora forum for 'window' and found a suggestion to use miscellaneous to reset my original windows position.  I did so - the invisible events window still does not appear.  I not only restarted the game, but the computer as well.  I can play the game, and everything else seems to work normally, but I cannot actually view the events window.

Any suggestions?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12301 on: November 03, 2012, 03:58:10 am »

Not a particularly adequate solution, but one that would probably do until someone finds an actual solution, is to turn on the option to show events at the bottom of the map window. (Display tab -> Show Events)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12302 on: November 03, 2012, 04:09:10 am »

Not a particularly adequate solution, but one that would probably do until someone finds an actual solution, is to turn on the option to show events at the bottom of the map window. (Display tab -> Show Events)

Thank you, I do have that on.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12303 on: November 03, 2012, 06:17:25 am »

Make sure you only have the main toolbar open. miscellanaoue -> Reset Window Positions.

edit: ah skipped over you already doing that. Not entirely sure what is going on there then.

Which version of windows are you running? That may make a difference.

edit2: If this doen't work there is definetely something strange going on. If you open up a different game, such as the example game initially in the database, does it still show the same problem?

Open the event window.
Put your mouse in the middle of the screen.
Press Alt-SpaceBar
Press m
Press one of your arrow keys (up/down/left/right) any of them will do
Now move your mouse on screen and the window should be attached to the mouse.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 06:42:32 am by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12304 on: November 03, 2012, 07:06:05 am »

Have you tried a fresh install?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12305 on: November 03, 2012, 02:50:11 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions!  Before I tried reinstalling the game or loading a different one (hadn't realized there was a way to go back to a previous game), I finally tried to play without my events window, let a few days pass, then checked it again and saw that hovering over the event tab showed a miniature screen like it should.  That screen wouldn't actually open when I clicked on the tab, but it was no longer a plain white field in the miniature view.

I clicked a few more times on f3's event window button and the miniature window's tab, and after another 20 seconds or so delay it suddenly opened.  The day that the event window maybe got stuck on appeared to be a totally normal event-free day, so I don't think there was an unusual event that caused it to not appear and I have no idea what the problem was, but progressing time past that point seems to have allowed it to fix itself.

I hadn't actually realized I could have tried opening a different game universe, I'd not noticed a way to open previous games! 

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12306 on: November 03, 2012, 07:16:15 pm »

Too lazy to check the Aurora forums...anybody else having problems designing drones/buoys with 6.x?

There's no explicit difference anymore, but you can't manually modify reactor size. If I put any kind of sensor package onboard, it adds a reactor, but only a very tiny one. Duration is stuck at 0. So no long-term geobuoys. :-(

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12307 on: November 03, 2012, 07:19:26 pm »

Missiles (since there isn't a clear distinction between a missile, drone or buoy), that don't have a warhead but do have sensors will last forever, unless they have a geological sensor, in which case they'll last until they complete a geologic survey of a planet.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12308 on: November 03, 2012, 07:24:25 pm »

Hmm...I'll have to test that because it's indicating an infinitesimally small number of geosurvey points generated.

Infinite duration sensor buoys??!!! Oh, my. Time to construct a GIUK-style sensor net so I can detect hostiles weeks out from reaching my colonies... :D

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12309 on: November 03, 2012, 07:25:23 pm »

Yeah it was one of the changes made with the jump to 6.0. We covered it in this thread a week or so ago IIRC.

edit: Here's the mechanics post where Steve describes the changes.

The relevant parts

There is no longer a separate 'buoy' category but you can create the same effect by designing a missile with sensors and no engine. The necessary reactor space will be added automatically. Missile reactors have unlimited endurance so there will no longer be a need to replace buoys every few years. While unlimited endurance is unrealistic, modern naval reactors have a service life measured in decades so this is a compromise between realism and a desire to reduce micromanagement. I may add some form of failure during very long term deployment - a failing IFF system on a mine could be entertaining - but I haven't decided yet.
Missiles that have sensors will now remain on the map forever, with two exceptions:

a) If a missile has geo sensors and no other type of sensor, it will self-destruct when the geosurvey of its target planet is completed.
b) If a missile has a warhead, it will self-destruct when its fuel runs out.

Hmm...I'll have to test that because it's indicating an infinitesimally small number of geosurvey points generated.

Yeah, the probes will have small geo sensor strength so you need to use big probes, like this one I use for firing from the missile bases when coming out of a conventional start.
Code: [Select]
Size 16.6 Geosurvey Probe Mk I
Missile Size: 16.6 MSP  (0.83 HS)     Warhead: 0    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 10
Speed: 100 km/s    Engine Endurance: 14,000.0 hours   Range: 5,040.0m km
Geo Sensor Strength: 0.1    Maximum points: 1400
Cost Per Missile: 2.5725
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 1%   3k km/s 0%   5k km/s 0.2%   10k km/s 0.1%
Materials Required:    0.06x Boronide   2.5x Uridium   0.0125x Gallicite   Fuel x3500

Development Cost for Project: 257RP

Infinite duration sensor buoys??!!! Oh, my. Time to construct a GIUK-style sensor net so I can detect hostiles weeks out from reaching my colonies... :D

Or indeed a VDA(very dangerous array) of sensor equipped mines, that spit out their payload if an enemy contact approaches too close.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 07:40:33 pm by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12310 on: November 03, 2012, 07:38:39 pm »

I've found them to be useful for a first-wave scout ship. Put four or five down on the bodies most likely to have minerals and get your results in a few months.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12311 on: November 03, 2012, 08:01:58 pm »

I have found star swarm! My first alien contact. Anyways so now that I've advanced a few engine tech levels how is this for an anti swarm ship?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

my main concerns are being able to out range them and take them out in a few hits as their is a group of 30 or so of them just 2 jumps from sol.

here is my general defense ship used on the chance that I find a momma star swarm(any good for this?) or some other alien race.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 10:04:01 pm by revo »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12312 on: November 03, 2012, 10:02:32 pm »

Y'know, I'm honestly considering reverting to pre-6.x. The drive changes (and morale, to a lesser degree) have made expansion far more of a pain in the ass. I've always been in it for the tactical-level combat, not the logistics micromanagement.  :-\

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12313 on: November 04, 2012, 01:36:31 am »

What does the tax money get put towards?  I understand mineral costs for things, and I can tell that things have a build cost that's effectively the time it takes for whatever facility to do that work, upgrade to improve...

But none of these things seem to have a money cost.  I can tell I'm collecting taxes and what the tax rate is at the moment, but how do I see how much I've collected, and what am I able to spend it on?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12314 on: November 04, 2012, 02:55:52 am »

Big thing is research, labs consume tons of cash.  Also any construction will cost cash, be it industry or shipyard.  Generally speaking it only matters for large empires, where your homeworld doesn't provide enough cashmoney to fun constant research.  Many players terraform Mars to 0.0 purely for the extra population and the trade lanes.  This is more incentive to claim alien colonies as well, if you can hold them for long enough they become a true colony of yours and not just an occupied area, and then they start funding you and you can use that species to colonize otherwise too-severe planets.
Pages: 1 ... 819 820 [821] 822 823 ... 1347