Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 811 812 [813] 814 815 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818373 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #12180 on: October 28, 2012, 12:32:49 am »

No. All that is required for trade is that one world produces a trade good that the other demands.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12181 on: October 28, 2012, 12:46:01 am »

I'm having trouble with backing up my game. I made a copy of the Stevefire database and stored it in a folder inside the main Aurora folder, I even left a copy in another location just to be extra safe. Then I messed around with some things in my game, intending to revert the changes. Except, after reverting to the copies, all the changes are still in place. The database claims it hasn't been modified since the 10th, and even keeps a constant filesize, so it's apparently not updating as I expected it to. I had thought the game recorded data by updating the database as things happened, but this is obviously not the case. So where is Aurora actually storing my game data, and how do I make a backup of it?
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Gidoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12182 on: October 28, 2012, 01:59:03 am »

It depends where you installed Aurora and what operating system you're using. If you're on Windows 7, then installing Aurora into program files will cause it to not actually use the database file in the aurora folder, instead sticking it in some byzantine location that I can't recall off the top of my head (I'm not entirely sentient right now due to emergency gardening before the frankenstorm hits), so you have to install into another location (such as just doing it in your hard drive's root, or a 'games' folder or something) for that to work.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12183 on: October 28, 2012, 02:39:33 am »

I don't mess with them much though, especially now as civilian crews want shore leave,

Is 6.00 out? If so, its it stable enough to get into playing with it? I've been holding off on trying this again due to the next version being close to being out.
Magma is overrated.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12184 on: October 28, 2012, 02:41:26 am »

I don't mess with them much though, especially now as civilian crews want shore leave,

Is 6.00 out? If so, its it stable enough to get into playing with it? I've been holding off on trying this again due to the next version being close to being out.
I believe we got to 6.1 already.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12185 on: October 28, 2012, 05:16:10 am »

6.1 is out, 6.2 is in the works and will likely be out soon. Currently expect to need to restart your games with the next couple of patches as Steve does bugfixes to the database.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12186 on: October 28, 2012, 07:14:00 am »

I've been occasionally peeking at this thread and its game for over a year now.  Downloaded it then and without intense determination tried to figure it out, gave up after a couple hours and occasionally thought of it since.  Three days ago I finally decided that what I really wanted to do right now was learn how to play it, so I downloaded the newest version and crawled my way through the tutorial on the forum (and its awesome previous version-nessy changes, engine platforms ahoy!).  Ate all my free time for a couple days, but yeah.  Ten years in, tech and mining and neatness happening.  Tons left to learn of course, but ooh, I likes this game now that I understand enough about it for it to feel like a game and not some giant weird form of art that I couldn't quite interact meaningfully with  8)
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12187 on: October 28, 2012, 08:55:03 am »

New player here, I am having issues with crew morale due to exceeding planned deployment time on my initial survery ships. I followed the quickstart and I have automated officer assignments, 24 month tours, and default orders to survey and to "refuel at colony within 4 jumps" at 40% fuel or less. Is there some way to end the tour and get a fresh crew? In my last game (which I abandoned) the event logs were filled with messages about low morale and I'd like to avoid it this time around.

I've done some searching and I realize they need some "downtime" at a colony but how do you do this? If I pick "move to earth" they stop by earth for a second before they pick up more default orders. How exactly do you tell them to take some leave?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 09:16:40 am by toomanysecrets »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12188 on: October 28, 2012, 09:19:14 am »

New player here, I am having issues with crew morale due to exceeding planned deployment time on my initial survery ships. I followed the quickstart and I have automated officer assignments, 24 month tours, and default orders to survey and to "refuel at colony within 4 jumps" at 40% fuel or less. Is there some way to end the tour and get a fresh crew? In my last game (which I abandoned) the event logs were filled with messages about low morale and I'd like to avoid it this time around.

Your crews will automatically recover morale when on a planet with at least 10,000 people, since they'll get shore leave and time to do whatever. I can't remember how long you need for morale to completely recover, so just keep checking the morale every few months until it reaches max again. What is the deployment time on your survey ships?

Oh, automated officer assignments/24 month tours are for your officers only, not your crew, so currently you have no way to swap your ships for a fresh crew. Shore leave is currently the only way to improve crew morale.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12189 on: October 28, 2012, 09:28:21 am »

OK, thank you. Morale is back up to 100%.  Initially I would issue an order to "Move to Earth" and it was getting overridden by Default orders so the ship was just cruising past Earth for a moment (or so it seemed).  So I picked "refuel" and "resupply" and that apparently took long enough to make everyone happy.

In the future, when I need to recover morale, will a "move to earth" order do the trick?? (provided I prevent other orders from getting issued)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12190 on: October 28, 2012, 09:51:07 am »

OK, thank you. Morale is back up to 100%.  Initially I would issue an order to "Move to Earth" and it was getting overridden by Default orders so the ship was just cruising past Earth for a moment (or so it seemed).  So I picked "refuel" and "resupply" and that apparently took long enough to make everyone happy.

In the future, when I need to recover morale, will a "move to earth" order do the trick?? (provided I prevent other orders from getting issued)

Yep. As long as it's hovering over Earth it should be fine. Begin Overhaul is another order that you can give to recover morale while at the same time turning back its maintenance clock. You want the maintenance clock as low as possible, since the rate at which components will fail is based on the maintenance clock.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12191 on: October 28, 2012, 10:41:03 am »

The shoreleave functions somewhat similarly to the overhaul mechanics in that it reduces the time on thae clock at an accelerated rate to the actual time spent over the colony. Shoreleave currently runs the clock back at ten times the actual time spent.

Move to is fine to get it to the colony, you then just need to make sure it doesn't get any orders that take it away from the colony before you have finished/done as much as you want to, shoreleave.

One of the changes Steve is making in 6.2 is that you will only recieve messages about ships with low morale for ships where it can actually apply to them, ie one of the following is important for that ship.

Weapon accuracy
Survey speed
Maintenance failures
Transit delays for weapons/sensors
Speed of response to orders during combat

This means that most commercial ships will no longer give out messages about low morale.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 10:45:25 am by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12192 on: October 28, 2012, 11:26:41 am »

Thanks for the replies you guys.  After playing a bit more I got a "Shore Leave Complete" event notice.  If I shoot for higher "Intended Deployment Time," will this mean it will take longer for morale to drop?  What else besides larger crew quarters would increse it?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12193 on: October 28, 2012, 11:34:31 am »

Morale starts to drop when the ship goes over its intended deployment time and if it's crowded with survivors or POWs I believe. I'm not sure what adding more crew quarters would do but I do know that upping the intended delpoyment time increases the ship's tonnage.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12194 on: October 28, 2012, 11:39:57 am »

As far as I can tell, if you increase the "intended deployment time" to 6 months, the ship won't incur any morale loss until 6 months, at which point it will start to steadily drop.  Spending time at a colony will reverse this, much like a maintenance clock.  The more time they've spent in space, the more shore leave they want, until they hit zero.

It turns out that for most purposes, it's fine not to have a civilian spaceport or cargo handling at all - it takes longer to do things, but that time counts as shore leave, so it actually lets you multitask.  You'd probably still want civilian spaceports on your forward bases though, so that you can load up your fleet quickly and deploy them.  Though I'm not sure that missiles and fuel and maintenance supplies actually incur any loading time anyways...

NINJA: Crew berths is directly related to deployment time.  For most purposes "quarters" and "berths" have a vague definition, they're not just bedrooms, but also things like the mess hall, tennis room, gym, hydroponics, UV-lamp "sunlight" rooms, etc.  The more berths there are, the more amenities are available and the more things the crew can do before they begin to go stir-crazy.  So "Quarters" become "Living Space" in a more broad definition.
Pages: 1 ... 811 812 [813] 814 815 ... 1347