Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 793 794 [795] 796 797 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818762 times)

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #11910 on: October 20, 2012, 06:21:58 pm »

Well, specially designed missile ships ought to work, as long as they have long enough range and AS. But still, it's better to wait like Flying Dice said.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11911 on: October 20, 2012, 06:36:12 pm »

The issue with missiles is, mainly, fuel and engine.  You end up spending a lot of size towards getting the payload there.  Doing research into engines first will help you get into the wild spaces much easier, as you'll be using less fuel to go faster, and for missiles that means more size for payload.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11912 on: October 20, 2012, 06:49:50 pm »

Yep. Engine and fuel efficiency are by far the two most important techs in the game, as far as I'm concerned. Just about everything you'll be doing in a campaign will depend upon engines and fuel at some level. Most relevant to this is that with higher fuel efficiency and better engines you're able to allocate more tonnage to weapons, sensors, and defenses (within a given size of ship) without decreasing Vmax. I typically have at least M-P drives and 0.5 fuel consumption before I even think about designing real combat ships.

That said, since you're still on a pre-6.00 build, you could potentially build at least a JP-camper with shitty drives and sensors but a fairly heavy (for TL1-2, anyhow) missile load. But again, low-tech vessels have essentially no hope against even a TL3-4 NPR, much less some of the other things that can pop up. Better to funnel the resources into increasing your industrial base and building up your shipyards so that when you do get around to making a navy, you can build big.

On an unrelated note, I'm incredibly disappointed that there still isn't an option to turn off crew morale. Having to manually order my survey vessels back to port every year is mind-bogglingly annoying. Just let me turn it off and I'll happily RP shore leave on my own terms. >.>
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 06:52:22 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11913 on: October 20, 2012, 07:08:50 pm »

SO here is what I'm doing with my economy.

25% each :100mines 10 research labs 1 auto mine and 25 construction facility

I've also got 2 freighters in construction that i'm going to use to take the automine to mars and mine there.

how do i get more scientists to research?

and I don't need any colonists on mars to recover the mineral those mines mine right? just need to set freighters to retrieve them?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11914 on: October 20, 2012, 07:16:53 pm »

1. A single automine will hardly produce anything at all.
2. Scientists, like all officers, are automatically recruited. If you want a greater number, build more academies.
3. You probably don't need more at this stage in any case, unless you're spreading your labs out very thin indeed.
4. For automines, no. You can either transport the minerals with freighters or construct a pair of mass drivers and ship one to Mars.

3. Run Resize Enable

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11915 on: October 20, 2012, 07:23:50 pm »

anything else i need to be doing currently? I've also got geo and grav surveys going and am researching

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11916 on: October 20, 2012, 07:33:04 pm »

Dice - it's obvious now that survey ships need rather massive accommodations for morale.

Mass Drivers are really the way to go.  It's free delivery to any other planet in the same system.  The general theme of the game is simple though, you explore, then you exploit, and you build a bigger ship.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11917 on: October 20, 2012, 08:15:35 pm »

Well, yeah. But that's more than a little bit gamey to me; it doesn't make much sense for any ship except a passenger liner to dedicate as much/more space to crew accommodations than the drives or sensors. I suppose that I'm more than a little peeved that 6.00 pretty much broke the "1k ton mass-survey" model of exploration. I was attached to those little early-warning devices.

3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11918 on: October 20, 2012, 08:24:13 pm »

I think it makes more sense.  Part of the reason we haven't gone to Mars yet is because the crew would go insane cramped in a tiny ship.  That amplifies a thousand times when you're in a far-off system doing boring work like looking at dead rocks.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11919 on: October 20, 2012, 08:41:50 pm »

I designed some 900 ton survey ships with a two year deployment for surveying in Sol. They aren't jump capable, so you'd have to design a 900 ton tender to run around with them, but it's still a viable option.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11920 on: October 20, 2012, 08:46:45 pm »

The good thing about survey ships is that they tend to stay in one system for a long time, so a jump tender would only have to be bothered every two years or so.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11921 on: October 20, 2012, 08:50:41 pm »

I usually run 2 geosurvey ships (2000tons) and one gravsurvey ship (2000tons) with a 3 squad jump engine. Using the three of them in concert helps deal with systems faster. Also massive deployment times. Once I had a geosurvey ship with almost 100 months of deployment time.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11922 on: October 20, 2012, 09:36:55 pm »

I'm experimenting with a drone-based survey ship in my current game. They launch active and geologic sensor drones at likely targets to check the inner system for hostiles, and then they use their on-board gravitational sensors to search for jump-points. Hopefully any hostiles will target the drones first, so my ships will be able to get away clean. I suppose I'll also need dedicated geosurvey ships to do a complete system body survey, but that would come after the initial system scouting anyway.

Also, I appear to have encountered an NPR (or maybe it's the Precursors) who use strength zero warheads on their AMMs :D.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 09:39:34 pm by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11923 on: October 20, 2012, 09:40:18 pm »

I've been experimenting with 500 ton survey ships so I can build them with fighter factories instead of shipyards early in a conventional start game. It works, but it's probably more effective to just use a larger one.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #11924 on: October 20, 2012, 09:41:54 pm »

That moment when you start with 7000 million, and discover you have 30CM lasers in the far x-ray spectrum, it is incompareable.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.
Pages: 1 ... 793 794 [795] 796 797 ... 1347