Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 791 792 [793] 794 795 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818908 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #11880 on: October 19, 2012, 06:48:25 am »

link me.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11881 on: October 19, 2012, 06:52:47 am »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11882 on: October 19, 2012, 11:22:10 am »

One thing to note if you are going for a mobile society, research is tied to the specific colony the research labs are on. So you can't do some research towards a tech, pick up and move on to the next planet and then resume from where you had reached, you will have to start over from scratch again.
Of course you can just SM mode all the techs you already learned.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11883 on: October 19, 2012, 11:30:33 am »

Actually where are you getting this info?  I've never observed research to be colony-specific.  Not even lab-specific.  As far as I can tell, each research item starts with a given amount, say 10,000 RP.  Every research lab put to it will decrease the cost by ((RP/tick * lab) * scientist_buff).  If you finish the research, your empire has it.  If you cancel it midway, it will retain the decreased amount.  For instance, if a research takes 8,000 to complete, and you spend some time on it and your scientists add 1,000 RP towards it, then it will be at 7,000.  You can cancel the research and it will appear in the available list as 7,000 and a different colony could start the research from where the first left off.

This also works with salvaged tech - if you kill an enemy ship and salvage a component off it, and then reverse engineer it, it will supply a certain number of RP towards that tech field instantly.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11884 on: October 19, 2012, 11:44:06 am »

Ah Steve may have altered it's functionality then, as the way I described it is how it has worked for a long time. I'll have to check it out to confim it has changed.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11885 on: October 19, 2012, 11:54:32 am »

I can confirm that it USED to be this way, but I don't know if its changed. Research progress at one colony was NOT applied to others until the project completed, at which point it became available empire-wide.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11886 on: October 19, 2012, 12:40:53 pm »

And if you salvage components, you'll only get the RP when you touch a colony an dhtis colony will get the RP.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11887 on: October 19, 2012, 03:34:17 pm »

I can confirm that it USED to be this way, but I don't know if its changed. Research progress at one colony was NOT applied to others until the project completed, at which point it became available empire-wide.

As can I, at least to pre-6.00. I'm pretty sure it's still like that. That is also, incidentally, why you only let salvagers stop or unload at your central research hub; dropping the data or parts on a backwater would be a waste of RP.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11888 on: October 19, 2012, 04:38:02 pm »

I even went as far as ordered 3 additional jumps for my salvagers to my main hub to not move through a minor system with a lab after I noticed this effect. They unload the data as soon as they are in the same system as a colony with a lab. I am not sure about what would happen if a single system would have multiple colonies with labs.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11889 on: October 19, 2012, 06:15:13 pm »

And if you salvage components, you'll only get the RP when you touch a colony an dhtis colony will get the RP.
A question for a select few situations: if your salvager(s) get ambushed and blown up, will you re-download all the schematics if you salvage the destroyed salvage ship?

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11890 on: October 19, 2012, 08:26:16 pm »

Downloading this now. I sure do hope i can get into it quick!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11891 on: October 19, 2012, 09:06:49 pm »

A question for a select few situations: if your salvager(s) get ambushed and blown up, will you re-download all the schematics if you salvage the destroyed salvage ship?
I'd say with about 85% certainty that you wouldn't. The whole 'technical data' aspect of salvage is drawn from the original tech of the salvaged ship. I've always visualized it as being something like this: When the crew of your TL5 ship examine the TL7 reactor they just salvaged, they draw some conclusions on how to replicate it. Possibly they recover engineering manuals, etc. as well.

In other words, from an RP sense, the stuff you'd be recovering from the wreck of the salvage ship would be the same sort of information, but on your own technology. From a pure gameplay perspective, no, as the RP was tied to that specific ship.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11892 on: October 19, 2012, 09:10:30 pm »

Or to make a little more sense...  When a salvage ship discovers something about a higher-tech item, it's stored in the ship's computer.  When the ship is destroyed, the computer is lost.  You can salvage the salvage ship, but you'll only be getting the actual salvage ship.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11893 on: October 20, 2012, 12:39:23 pm »

Can someone give me an overview of how NPR generation and behavior works?  The wiki is pretty vague.  Some specific things I'm wondering about:
- Do any NPRs exist at the beginning of the game? Or are they only generated when I explore a jump point?
- If NPRs exist before I discover them, where do they live? Is their system pregenerated? Are their ships out exploring and generating systems?
-  When an new NPR is generated, what level of population/industry/military are they given?

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11894 on: October 20, 2012, 12:51:39 pm »

Can someone give me an overview of how NPR generation and behavior works?  The wiki is pretty vague.  Some specific things I'm wondering about:
- Do any NPRs exist at the beginning of the game? Or are they only generated when I explore a jump point?
- If NPRs exist before I discover them, where do they live? Is their system pregenerated? Are their ships out exploring and generating systems?
-  When an new NPR is generated, what level of population/industry/military are they given?
The starting NPR value is the number of NPRs that are created at game start (kind of part of it's name and description in game).
Yes they start in a pre-genned system and are given the same values that are on the bottom left when you gen a game (Sol start industry values).  They will travel around exploring and activating systems, and newly active systems can spawn a new NPR or a Spoiler.
Kind of random, it's usually around what ever the planet would support (if you gened a empire there) or your starting values at game creation.
Pages: 1 ... 791 792 [793] 794 795 ... 1347