Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 779 780 [781] 782 783 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2819134 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #11700 on: October 01, 2012, 07:37:15 am »

I think not. but you don't have to actually build a proper colony: dropping some million colonist to certain death on mars will work as well, so you can just design a small colony ship and kick the civilian into shipping mode.

just remember to obsolete the colony ship if you want freighters.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11701 on: October 01, 2012, 07:48:16 am »

I'll admit: I've used conventional engines in my designs before.  I've even produced freighters with the same slowness.  Have even experimented with one-hold freighters.  My favorite is the "combo cargo-colonizer".  It hold one hold of cargo and one cyro/passenger compartment: Meant solely to provide initial infrastructure and colonists for a colony.

Sounds like a fun scenario.  Note that ships is really advanced for 1956.

I'll admit that apollo 11 didnt travel at 50km/s, but 8000 tons is actually much heavier than a fully loaded saturn V by almost 3 times, also in the grand scheme of things 10 years early isn't so bad for the russian version of the apollo program.
Now let me present the successor to conventional ICBM bases.

Missile Complex - II class ICBM Launch Base    6,200 tons     977 Crew     600 BP      TCS 124  TH 0  EM 0
Armour 5-30     Sensors 1/40     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 90
Magazine 360   

PDC Size 30 Missile Launcher (3)    Missile Size 30    Rate of Fire 450
Missile Fire Control FC15-R100 (1)     Range 15.0m km    Resolution 100
ICBM Drone (12)  Speed: 3,300 km/s   End: 75m    Range: 14.9m km   WH: 0    Size: 30    TH: 5 / 3 / 1

Active Search Sensor MR20-R100 (1)     GPS 4000     Range 20.0m km    Resolution 100

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Planetary Defence Centre and can be pre-fabricated in 3 sections

You'll notice right away the oddly named ICBM Drone, it's nothing more than a conventional ICBM shoved into a Conventionally engined drone, that top speed of 3,300 km/s is actually ridiculous considering i haven't researched any reactors or even nuclear thermal engines yet.
Sadly i'm not sure how to sue space master to get some targets into the system to test these against, but i'm sure they're quite worthless for anything but flavour(maybe i'll get some disabled targets in the future i can test them against).
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11702 on: October 01, 2012, 08:13:53 am »

They should work against stationary targets such as colonies, but are unlikely to be of any use against anything that can move to avoid the ICBM submunition.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11703 on: October 01, 2012, 08:34:49 am »

Ha, I usually do the opposite - lay down some old ICBM bases and put new-generation MIRV missiles on pre-TN "surplus" ICBM boosters.  This is to RP Earth's first generation crashbuilt planetary defense against space attack.  It'd be pretty hideously ineffective, although in conjunction with a fleet it could at least add some targets to soak up fire.  Sadly, no one has ever come into range of them so they mostly just clutter up the display game after game :p

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11704 on: October 01, 2012, 09:39:39 am »

Old ICBM bases serve 2 purposes:
A place for your naval officers to be assigned to and not be automatically dismissed after 6 years.
Your population is really "happy" to have their great ruler who provides them with so much "protection".

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11705 on: October 01, 2012, 10:58:35 am »

I keep seeing this topic hovering near the top.  I should really look into it.

I do have a few questions though.  Is it possible to have a station with population on it be treated like a colony, if it's big enough?  With research stations and everything on it too?  Can you stick engines on it?  Like a giant mobile self-sufficient city.

Also is it difficult to pick up?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11706 on: October 01, 2012, 11:05:15 am »

Well, you can have orbital habitat that can support a pop, but it need to be around an asteroid or something.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11707 on: October 01, 2012, 11:13:02 am »

I do have a few questions though.  Is it possible to have a station with population on it be treated like a colony, if it's big enough?  With research stations and everything on it too?  Can you stick engines on it?  Like a giant mobile self-sufficient city.

Also is it difficult to pick up?
To the first question: technically you can.  There is a ship component called orbitable hab that allows a pop of 50K people per (you can have as many as you want per orbital, or just build a bunch of smaller ones) that allows you to have a population on a planet with out worrying about restrictions.  Thing is they have to be over a body to function and not moving, and you have to use cargo ships to move buildings like research centers with them.  (I am planning a campaign for when the next version comes out where I plant to move a lot of my population all nomadic like this way with several massive orbitable habs.)

For the second question:  If you could get into DF then you can eventually get into Aurora.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11708 on: October 01, 2012, 11:22:38 am »

oh cool, I was thinking the same thing with the nomadic stuff.  I would really like it if you could stick all the stuff into one entity... I hate it when games classify buildings as X or Y, it should be a building that you can stick whatever you want into, and what you stick into it changes it's behavior.  If that makes sense.

Anyway yeah I should check it out.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11709 on: October 01, 2012, 11:23:33 am »

Well, that's exactly how ships work in Aurora.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11710 on: October 01, 2012, 02:08:14 pm »

In any case, a ship with enough of a non-cryo'd population to do anything notable would be prohibitively large, probably large enough to generate overflow errors.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11711 on: October 01, 2012, 02:29:56 pm »

So I can't make a mobile city fleet?  Are you sure? 

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11712 on: October 01, 2012, 02:40:06 pm »

So I can't make a mobile city fleet?  Are you sure?

It is possible to make a mobile city fleet, but you would need a lot of ships to move a respectable amount of population/infrastructure around.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11713 on: October 01, 2012, 05:17:07 pm »

Well, the way I understand it, you can have population in the fleet by towing habitats or whatever but they can't actually do anything useful like research, build ships in shipyards, build stuff in factories, etc, those things have to be on a system body.  So no Battlestar Galactica - "the ragtag fleet" etc with all kinds of production going on is not currently possible.  You can carry all the facilities with you in cargo holds, but they have to be unloaded on a system body to be used, so the fleet has to park for a while.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11714 on: October 01, 2012, 05:43:17 pm »

It's certainly possible to make a nomadic empire in Aurora. As mentioned, though, ships only function as a colony when they're in orbit of something, even the ship modules that effectively duplicate colony functions (like maintenance modules) will only work as pseudo colony structures when the ship is in orbit. It's an engine limit that the creator has expressed interest in changing eventually.

However, what it isn't is efficient; orbital habitats are extremely large and expensive (really, really big; orbital habitats in the millions of tons aren't unusual whereas the average Aurora ship is usually in the tens of thousands of tons). But if it's something you want to do then the game will let you.
Pages: 1 ... 779 780 [781] 782 783 ... 1347