Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 773 774 [775] 776 777 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818981 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #11610 on: September 23, 2012, 03:31:02 pm »

Three steps for a good game:
NPR difficulty: 1000%
Spawn rate: 100%
Invaders: Off (because fuck losing a campaign to eternal 1-day turns).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #11611 on: September 23, 2012, 03:34:05 pm »

Do NPRs not expand as voraciously as humans do?

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11612 on: September 23, 2012, 05:05:58 pm »

Do NPRs not expand as voraciously as humans do?
In general no, but the main problem for NPRs is the mineral crash. 1000% difficulty gives them ~18 billion starting population and homeworld minerals in the tens of millions of tons. They still tend to stagnate and stay centralized, but they're much tougher to crack.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #11613 on: September 23, 2012, 06:07:05 pm »

I just survey'd Venus. It is made of minerals. Like over 19 million tons of just Duranium. Wow. How do you produce fuel, b the bye?

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11614 on: September 23, 2012, 06:09:27 pm »

How do you produce fuel, b the bye?
Fuel Refineries+Sorium for a normal planet.

Orbiting Sorium Harvesters (and spare fuel tanks)+Sorium for gas giants.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 06:12:28 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11615 on: September 23, 2012, 08:35:03 pm »

I just survey'd Venus. It is made of minerals. Like over 19 million tons of just Duranium. Wow. How do you produce fuel, b the bye?

keynote: .1 availability.

Fuel is made from sorium.  You can find big sorium deposits in gas giants.  I generally build a large civilian station designed to harvest and refine fuel and have a tug tow it to the planet.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11616 on: September 24, 2012, 12:19:47 am »

My sorium harvesters refuse to dump their fuel at Earth. I have an order that says dump 90% at nearest colony if fuel tanks full, and there doesn't seem to be a manual option to do so. Any help?
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11617 on: September 24, 2012, 04:53:15 am »

Did you remember to flag the class as a tanker on the design screen? The expanded fuel orders are only available to ships that have been so designated.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11618 on: September 24, 2012, 08:42:20 am »

Hrm....How do Asteroid miners work?

ANd resposting, but how exactly do you colonize and set up mining outposts on worlds?
Also, once your economy is decent enough the civilian AI may create Civilian Mining Colonies (CMCs), which over time can grow into pretty significant sites, with integrated mass drivers and basic sensors. Chances for CMCs to appear depend on your per capita income and your race's Trading value (higher = more likely). As a result, government type plays a role. Corporate Governments tend to spawn CMCs easily, while a Hive Mind Race may never see one.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11619 on: September 24, 2012, 10:22:25 am »

Did you remember to flag the class as a tanker on the design screen? The expanded fuel orders are only available to ships that have been so designated.
Thanks, that ought to work.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11620 on: September 24, 2012, 11:07:32 am »

ANd resposting, but how exactly do you colonize and set up mining outposts on worlds?
Also, once your economy is decent enough the civilian AI may create Civilian Mining Colonies (CMCs), which over time can grow into pretty significant sites, with integrated mass drivers and basic sensors. Chances for CMCs to appear depend on your per capita income and your race's Trading value (higher = more likely). As a result, government type plays a role. Corporate Governments tend to spawn CMCs easily, while a Hive Mind Race may never see one.

I think there're also need for minimum of a few thousand units of Duranium or Sorium at accessiblity of at least half before they'll even consider mining it. At least that's according to an old post from maker, I've not tested it out. Mine growth also depends on income.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11621 on: September 24, 2012, 12:04:15 pm »

I think there're also need for minimum of a few thousand units of Duranium or Sorium at accessiblity of at least half before they'll even consider mining it. At least that's according to an old post from maker, I've not tested it out. Mine growth also depends on income.
Yeah, that's correct. Not sure about the quantity, but yes...must have some fairly accessible Duranium or Sorium. I went and dug and found the Word of Steve on CMC mechanics:
Each 5-day increment a random number is generated between 1 and 1 million.  If that number is lower than the annual racial income, a new mining colony will be created.  This is based on the assumption that the racial income reflects the size of the civilian economy and is therefore will serve as a reasonable method of determiing the liklehood of new mining colonies being established.  If a colony is established, the first step is to determine the system in which the new colony will be located.  This is done by listing the populations of the Empire greater than ten million in size in descending order of population size and working through the list.  As each pop is checked, there is a 50% chance that the system in which that pop is located will be selected, at which point the system selection is complete.  Obviously this favours the systems in which larger pops are located.  If the entire list is checked and no pop is selected, the system in which the largest pop is located will be used.

Once the system is selected, the program looks for suitable surveyed system bodies without an existing colony orbiting the same star as the selected population with an orbital distance no greater than 80 AU.  On the first run through, the program checks for those system bodies which have either 25,000 tons of Duranium or 25,000 tons of Sorium at an accessibility of 0. 8 or greater.  Once those are found, the program works out the total mineral deposits for each world, multiplying the total tonnage of each deposit by its accessibility and ignoring any with an accessibility less than 0. 5.  The world with the greatest total tonnage is selected.  If none are found that meet the criteria, a second check is made using 15,000 tons of Duranium or Sorium at an accessibility of 0. 7 or greater.  If worlds within these criteria are found, the total tonnage check is performed again to select one.

When the mining colony is created, it has 1-3 CMC, a deep space tracking station and a single Garrison division named after the system body.

In addition to the check for new mining colonies, all existing colonies are checked during each 5-day increment and there is a chance they will be expanded by adding one extra CMC.  This check was originally 1-1,000,000 but after playtest it is now 1-4,000,000.

So if you can get your total racial income up to 1,000,000 a year, you'll soon be awash in CMCs.
EDIT: And I believe that means Trading indirectly increases CMC chances by boosting tax revenue?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 12:07:28 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11622 on: September 24, 2012, 12:29:16 pm »

This would explain why I get so many more CMC's popping up if I do an earth start with the actual earth population, as all those taxpayers increase your income significantly.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11623 on: September 24, 2012, 05:28:07 pm »

This would explain why I get so many more CMC's popping up if I do an earth start with the actual earth population, as all those taxpayers increase your income significantly.

Yeah, I just started a modern-day earth population game.  7,000 Million Citizens is a whole new experience.  Only problem is that Earth seems to start with the same minerals, so I'll be tapped out in a couple years.  Still not enough income to make things automatic, but then again my surveyors haven't found much yet.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11624 on: September 24, 2012, 05:35:28 pm »

Another problem with a 7billion start I've found is that it takes so long for the population screen for Earth to load because of, presumably, all the ground units.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 773 774 [775] 776 777 ... 1347