Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 771 772 [773] 774 775 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818988 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #11580 on: September 22, 2012, 03:08:26 am »

"Mere" 68 megatons? The most powerful nuclear device we ever detonated was 50 megatons, and the fireball from that explosion covered a four-kilometer radius. Unless the Enterprise was a good distance away from the explosion, the fact that it survived seems pretty damn impressive to me.
Explosion in space are way less powerfull. No shockwave, for example.
I didn't even mention the shockwave (though for the record, the shockwave from the 50 megaton bomb leveled a town over 55 kilometers away). The fireball itself was four kilometers in radius.
The fireball would be smaller too, as there's nothing to actually explode. It's just be a bright flash of light, with the only danger to the enterprise being acute overheating for a few seconds. The shields should have hold out against that.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11581 on: September 22, 2012, 04:34:32 am »

I got an awesome defense systems research guy on my new game. 30% bonus and 35 labs. I have him researching ALL the defense systems techs.  :D

Also: Is it possible to link up ship tractor beams so you have like a chain of ships?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11582 on: September 22, 2012, 04:35:15 am »

I got an awesome defense systems research guy on my new game. 30% bonus and 35 labs. I have him researching ALL the defense systems techs.  :D

Also: Is it possible to link up ship tractor beams so you have like a chain of ships?

Too bad defense is useless in a game where offense is far far supperior.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11583 on: September 22, 2012, 04:37:55 am »

I'm also getting all the stealth techs. I will be so sneaky they will never see me coming!

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #11584 on: September 22, 2012, 04:51:10 am »

I honestly haven't seen cloaks in action yet, and I haven't heard of them being used either.
I suggest you go and research the Logistics tree, especially the smaller modules, as in smaller crew quarters, smaller fuel storages and so on. Initial geo/gravsurvey ships don't need that, because you usually end up with just enough crew and having to add some fuel.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11585 on: September 22, 2012, 05:41:40 am »

You can chain tractor ships. A tractors B, B then tractors C and so on. You can't target a ship that is part of a tractor link, but a tractored ship can target an untractored one.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11586 on: September 22, 2012, 05:47:48 am »

You can chain tractor ships. A tractors B, B then tractors C and so on. You can't target a ship that is part of a tractor link, but a tractored ship can target an untractored one.

Excellent.

I've got a plan for a chain of engine-less sorium/asteroid mining ships being towed by a colossal tug.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11587 on: September 22, 2012, 06:03:30 am »

Excellent.

I've got a plan for a chain of engine-less sorium/asteroid mining ships being towed by a colossal tug.

Been there, done it with cargo barges, it's pretty nice for smaller shipyards. There're a bug where speed aren't properly accounted for with more than one unit chained, only the first engine's output and mass and first attachment's mass are counted ( afaik ) and fuel usage are by distance and not time. Imagine my surprise to find a tug still 99% full of fuel after a few months of dragging something around :D ( Yes, I put too many fuel tanks on them )

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11588 on: September 22, 2012, 11:55:25 am »

My task force has been training for over a year, but is still at 0.0% for TF Training.  The crew grade has increased, so they're doing something.  Any ideas why TR Training isn't increasing?

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11589 on: September 22, 2012, 12:14:07 pm »

TF training only works if your TF command is staffed with officers and is in the same system.

Aboth Ber

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of his mispronunciation and malapropism
    • View Profile
« Reply #11590 on: September 22, 2012, 12:33:45 pm »

Yeah especially, don't forget to assign an officer with high 'operations' bonus and 'crew training bonus' in Operations Fleet HQ... It supposedly makes crew and task force training more faster.....
Aurora Community Game: Allies and Reich in Space. :
Year 2004: Reich in Jupiter. Now what?

Only You can help the Allies conquer the stars! For Freedom and Capitalism!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11591 on: September 22, 2012, 12:34:39 pm »

Re: defensive systems and cloaking:

They're actually quite useful. Armor (aside from the obvious of making ships tougher) also becomes more compressed at higher levels; medium-tech armor will let you up-armor corvettes and FACs to a certain degree. Shields are pretty inefficient in early tech, but once you've got decent ones they're great for catching stray missiles.

Cloaks? I have one sentence for you: Cloaked passive sensor platforms.

I use them whenever my campaigns run long enough for decent cloaking and thermal output reduction tech; there are few things as nice as slipping a small cloaked ship with massive passive sensors into a system, getting a read on everything there, and then watching enemy warship pass less than 10 million kilometers away on an intercept course for your fleet. Cloaks are also useful for light carriers operating away from fleet support; you can hide them in the outskirts of a system while their fighters pound things until you run out of missiles. And then you can have attached cloaked collier/tankers hidden further out for resupply.

Certainly not the most straightforward use of resources, but immensely satisfying and fairly cost-effective with good tech.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11592 on: September 22, 2012, 12:37:37 pm »

Is TF command the "Staff Officers" option in the Leaders tab? When I choose that, no positions appear under possible assignments. Is there a tech I have to research?

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11593 on: September 22, 2012, 12:52:11 pm »

Is TF command the "Staff Officers" option in the Leaders tab? When I choose that, no positions appear under possible assignments. Is there a tech I have to research?

Yes, your Task Force command is under Staff Officers.

1a) Select a rank of naval officer to choose from on the left -or-
1b) Select a set of criteria from the bottom-right

2) Select an officer from the relevant pane to your previous method (bottom left or bottom right respectively)

3) Select 'Staff Officers' from the dropdown in the middle

You should now have a single position available to assign, "R3 Fleet Headquarters" (note: this is the name of the Task Force, so if you set up a different Task Force for some reason you'll get that)

(Note that you must have an officer selected for an assignment to appear, for some reason)

4) Assign them to the position with Assign.

You now have a Task Force Command position assigned; that's the leader of the Task Force. There are then several other staff officer positions that become available, such as Logistics Officer, Public Relations Officer, etc.

One catch is that these positions are set to require one rank below the TF Command as a (edit to prevent misinformation) maximum minimum - so if you put an R4 in the Command slot (or your R3 gets promoted), you can now only assign R3s or above as staff under them. If your TF Command gets promoted existing positions remain, though, so you can keep R2s in their Staff Officer role even if TF Command is an R8 - as long as they were assigned at an appropriate time.

This is obviously a non-issue if you have realistic promotions turned off so you can manage them manually.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 01:13:20 pm by Calech »

Aboth Ber

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of his mispronunciation and malapropism
    • View Profile
« Reply #11594 on: September 22, 2012, 01:08:32 pm »

I'm sorry Calech you got it all wrong... Not above, but below...

If the Task Force Commander are R3, the underling officers are labelled M2 means the MAXIMAL Rank allowed for the underling officers are 2, not the minimum rank...
If you want to put underling officer that Rank 3, the Commander needs to Rank 4, and so on..
So if you put the Rank 3 Officer as Commander you can put Rank 1 or 2 Officers as the underlings (operations, fighter ops, survey,etc)...
Aurora Community Game: Allies and Reich in Space. :
Year 2004: Reich in Jupiter. Now what?

Only You can help the Allies conquer the stars! For Freedom and Capitalism!
Pages: 1 ... 771 772 [773] 774 775 ... 1347