Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 767 768 [769] 770 771 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818782 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #11520 on: September 15, 2012, 06:44:55 pm »

Far as I can tell, the civilians won't send colonists to world that don't already have a population.
I've definitely had civilians drop people off on planets that can support colonists without me starting a population. All it needs is the ability to support life somehow, and an existing colony.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11521 on: September 15, 2012, 06:47:38 pm »

Yeah civ ships don't even need people to already be there to start moving in colonists.  I've been moving up teraforming fleets and one of them is a orbitable hab that gives room for them to start crowding people onto the planet when it is still 6+ cost with out any infrastructure.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11522 on: September 15, 2012, 07:32:02 pm »

Thanks for clearing that up.  That is what I love about this game: So much new stuff to discover.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11523 on: September 15, 2012, 08:26:26 pm »

To be specific, it needs excess colonist capacity (either 0 colonization cost, or enough infrastructure to support more colonists) and it needs colonist demand (i.e. installations that need workers like mines, factories, research labs, etc.)

Automines don't take workers, so a pure automining colony won't get colonists. The lack of demand is why even if you discover a pefectly inhabitable world, placing a colony won't start generating colonizer runs -- nobody's going to move without a job waiting for them (and no, the agricultural and service sectors don't count).

What's interesting is when you have a partially habitable planet with some installations and some infrastructure on it. They'll bring colonists till the capacity is filled up, then the freighters will be shipping in infrastructure until there's capacity again.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11524 on: September 15, 2012, 08:46:02 pm »

IIRC the requested protection level draws from the system, not orbit. So as long as you have ships in Sol at all Mars shouldn't be giving you problems. As for the first, obviously no as there hasn't been an update in quite a long time.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11525 on: September 16, 2012, 10:22:47 am »

have they fixed the bug where setting a place to have a stable population or being a source of colonists would be reverted as soon as you did the next time increment, if the population of a planet was below the threshold to automatically become a source of colonists?

That's not a bug, it is intended behaviour. You can only change from being a destination once you pass the 25 million threshhold.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

wsoxfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11526 on: September 16, 2012, 08:43:59 pm »

Hi all-
How can you do multi-nation starts on Earth?

Aboth Ber

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of his mispronunciation and malapropism
    • View Profile
« Reply #11527 on: September 16, 2012, 10:34:07 pm »

Hi all-

Press F9 (Empire --> System Information). Select Earth (or whatever panet that you like) and cick Create Empire (make sure your in SM Mode) in lower right panels.
Then you can modify the starting Empire parameter, and spesies (make sure the spesies is human if you want to multi-nation start).
That how I create most of my multi-nation start and the current LP...

Just a warning though, don't make too much Empire or you will suffer the universe heat death (time increments goes super slow since each empire trying to 'sensor' check the other empires during time increments) except you got Computer with superfast processor....
Aurora Community Game: Allies and Reich in Space. :
Year 2004: Reich in Jupiter. Now what?

Only You can help the Allies conquer the stars! For Freedom and Capitalism!

wsoxfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11528 on: September 16, 2012, 11:05:36 pm »

Hi all-

Press F9 (Empire --> System Information). Select Earth (or whatever panet that you like) and cick Create Empire (make sure your in SM Mode) in lower right panels.
Then you can modify the starting Empire parameter, and spesies (make sure the spesies is human if you want to multi-nation start).
That how I create most of my multi-nation start and the current LP...

Just a warning though, don't make too much Empire or you will suffer the universe heat death (time increments goes super slow since each empire trying to 'sensor' check the other empires during time increments) except you got Computer with superfast processor....

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11529 on: September 17, 2012, 08:27:41 am »

You'll also have to SM the diplomatic relations periodically, otherwise all the nations will be at war in short order because they'll all claim Sol and see the other nations as intruders.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11530 on: September 17, 2012, 08:45:21 am »

Looking forward to 6.00.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11531 on: September 17, 2012, 05:03:35 pm »

I'm trying to build a cheap flak frigate , would this design work against missiles when massed in good numbers?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My worry is that the limited range would render it useless against faster missiles. The accuracy should be pretty bad (the base Micro-Vulcan is 17% hit so it's about 8% to hit in the best of conditions), but the sheer number of rounds should give a pretty good coverage. 10 of those should fire around 120 round/5 sec, so would a figure of 5 missiles on average shot down in final fire mode be realist?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11532 on: September 17, 2012, 05:56:11 pm »

Active sensor is a little small. You'll probably want one with a longer range so you can get a larger tracking bonus against any missiles. Is 12k the best you can do on tracking speed? Missiles tend to be faster than that.

Also:
I'm glad I never posted that 4-gauss turret fac, that would have caused you a heart attack  :P
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11533 on: September 17, 2012, 06:18:28 pm »

Yeah this is pretty low tech and my beam control speed won't go higher for a while. I designed faster turrets, but without fast beam tracker it's useless so I scrapped that design. The active sensor is a backup if my dedicated sensor ship is kaput, but I might up it a bit anyway, it was originally designed for recon fighters so it's really small.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11534 on: September 17, 2012, 08:24:21 pm »

Range is always going to be useless for gauss PD. You don't need to worry about anything but tracking speed, as you'll always be using them in the Final Defense (or w/e) mode, not the interception envelope. The only thing you'll intercept at range with those would be missiles moving at <2,400 km/s, which is slower than most capital ships.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 767 768 [769] 770 771 ... 1347