Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 766 767 [768] 769 770 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818789 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #11505 on: September 14, 2012, 04:22:01 pm »

Any...Outstanding bugs I should be aware of?
NPRs fighting and interrupting while you're trying to progress time.
That's annoying.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #11506 on: September 14, 2012, 04:25:17 pm »

That's annoying.

Then I will kill them. Easy.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11507 on: September 14, 2012, 04:39:30 pm »

I messed with extra TFs once. And that was last time I touched that feature. Officers are capable of handing off their bonuses to an effectively infinite number of ships so I see no reason to bring on more guys.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11508 on: September 14, 2012, 04:41:40 pm »

That's annoying.

Then I will kill them. Easy.
NPRs fighting somewhere in the galaxy that you can't see, with some third party. Of course, you can deal with that by running a few 5-day autoturns. NEVER play with Invaders, as they inevitably start generating endless 1-day turns that make games completely unplayable.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aboth Ber

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of his mispronunciation and malapropism
    • View Profile
« Reply #11509 on: September 14, 2012, 05:37:32 pm »

Just one MAJOR Bug that very annoying...

DON'T ATTACK THE ROBOTS THAT COME FROM RUINS WITH YOUR GROUND TROOPS. Just defense.
If the robot was attacked and you defeated them all, then the infamous Colony surrender will trigger.

It corrected in the unreleased 6.00 version however...
Aurora Community Game: Allies and Reich in Space. :
Year 2004: Reich in Jupiter. Now what?

Only You can help the Allies conquer the stars! For Freedom and Capitalism!

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #11510 on: September 14, 2012, 05:54:14 pm »

DON'T ATTACK THE ROBOTS THAT COME FROM RUINS WITH YOUR GROUND TROOPS. Just defense.
If the robot was attacked and you defeated them all, then the infamous Colony surrender will trigger.

What about the unofficial patch?

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11511 on: September 14, 2012, 06:14:55 pm »

Best not to mention version 6.00, which may be months from being released.  It's the next version, not the current one.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11512 on: September 14, 2012, 07:03:42 pm »

This is actually incorrect. I have repeatedly had the surrender bug arise while defending with nothing but garrison troops and engineers, typically during prolonged (4+ month) battles. I've found that the best solution is to completely exploit ruins before colonizing. If that isn't possible, bring in marines and heavy assault so that you can curbstomp the robots quickly; the surrender doesn't automatically occur if you kill them, and I haven't determined to precise cause, but the chance of it happening rises as you spend more time fighting, and doing a pure defense tends to take more time than wiping them out.

In any case, it isn't a gamebreaking bug even if you're in a situation where you're exploiting ruins on your only populated world. Just a massively annoying one. The Invader 1-day thing is a gamekiller, as is a corrupted database.

3. Run Resize Enable

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11513 on: September 15, 2012, 03:29:55 am »

This is actually incorrect. I have repeatedly had the surrender bug arise while defending with nothing but garrison troops and engineers, typically during prolonged (4+ month) battles. I've found that the best solution is to completely exploit ruins before colonizing. If that isn't possible, bring in marines and heavy assault so that you can curbstomp the robots quickly; the surrender doesn't automatically occur if you kill them, and I haven't determined to precise cause, but the chance of it happening rises as you spend more time fighting, and doing a pure defense tends to take more time than wiping them out.

In any case, it isn't a gamebreaking bug even if you're in a situation where you're exploiting ruins on your only populated world. Just a massively annoying one. The Invader 1-day thing is a gamekiller, as is a corrupted database.
Does that means the key to avoiding the bug is to pump a bit of poisonous gas in ruin sites and ban them and carry off every piece of infrastructure the second it pop up, with good, strong army standing around?

Aboth Ber

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of his mispronunciation and malapropism
    • View Profile
« Reply #11514 on: September 15, 2012, 10:46:26 am »

From what I know if you attack the Robots and defeated them, there a good chance for your ground army to simply disappear into thin air.
That's why if I found a ruin I saved early.
Aurora Community Game: Allies and Reich in Space. :
Year 2004: Reich in Jupiter. Now what?

Only You can help the Allies conquer the stars! For Freedom and Capitalism!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11515 on: September 15, 2012, 12:28:26 pm »

Does that means the key to avoiding the bug is to pump a bit of poisonous gas in ruin sites and ban them and carry off every piece of infrastructure the second it pop up, with good, strong army standing around?

Terraforming the atmosphere would be utterly pointless; the defenders are entirely robotic and ground troops don't require breathable air to function in any case.

From what I know if you attack the Robots and defeated them, there a good chance for your ground army to simply disappear into thin air.
That's why if I found a ruin I saved early.
Not a "good" chance by any means; it tends to happen at most once every ~10 individual battles, and then only in prolonged ones. I'm halfway convinced that it is linked to the time spend fighting, as it almost always happens to me when I've chained robot attacks so that combat is continuous for months at a time. In any case, the obvious solution is to just SM in replacements and reassign the commanders. That's half the reason SM mode exists: solving issues created by bugs.

By "saved early" I assume you mean "made a database backup" as the game is always 'saved' up-to-date. Though that is a bit much trouble for something that can be fixed fairly easily. It isn't even more than a minor annoyance unless the ruins are on a major production world, as the only damage the bug can cause that can't be fixed immediately is the production modifier linked to the colony's status.

3. Run Resize Enable

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11516 on: September 15, 2012, 01:18:26 pm »

Terraforming the atmosphere would be utterly pointless; the defenders are entirely robotic and ground troops don't require breathable air to function in any case.

Well, I was thinking more in disencouraging the shipping lines from bringing any colonists in on lower cost planets, since I've seen some people post on Aurora forum that shipping lines ignores bans occasionally.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11517 on: September 15, 2012, 06:13:16 pm »

Making the planet uninhabitable won't help; civilians will happily drop colonists onto a barren rock if you've got a colony there.

3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11518 on: September 15, 2012, 06:26:47 pm »

I don't recall civilians dropping people on planets, moons, or asteroids after I make automated mining colonies, so I don't think that's true.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11519 on: September 15, 2012, 06:35:08 pm »

If a planet or moon can support a colony at all (regardless of colony cost) and has an existing population, then the civilians will endlessly drop more colonists.

Thus, to avoid colonizing ruins, just don't send any colonists in the first place.  Because once you send that first colony ship, you can't go back.

Far as I can tell, the civilians won't send colonists to world that don't already have a population.
Pages: 1 ... 766 767 [768] 769 770 ... 1347