Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 755 756 [757] 758 759 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818499 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #11340 on: August 27, 2012, 06:29:13 pm »

Ooh, see I'd imagine it like this: the marine redshirts all gathering around the hull breach, and the camera pans back to reveal the hundreds of robot soldiers crawling towards them across the exterior of the ship.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11341 on: August 27, 2012, 06:30:09 pm »

Ooh, see I'd imagine it like this: the marine redshirts all gathering around the hull breach, and the camera pans back to reveal the hundreds of robot soldiers crawling towards them across the exterior of the ship.
This.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11342 on: August 27, 2012, 06:49:10 pm »

Iknorite? Like something out of an action movie, where the redshirt special ops guys look all badass and crack into the enemy ship, only for an "OH SHI-" moment as the camera pans through the breach to reveal tens of thousands of armored alien badasses waiting for them.

So my marines were basically just dramatic fodder to establish that the enemy is, in fact, badass.

Kinda anti-climatic then that I blew it out of space shortly thereafter with my battlegroup.

You should send wave after wave of Space Marines to die in glory and slowly destroy the troops inside. Then claim the ship. That is if attrition warfare does work in Boarding battles.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11343 on: August 28, 2012, 04:29:21 am »

Pretty sure it does work, but it's going to take forever, since you barely inflict any casualities when you're so outnumbered. Probably better to damage the ship to bring it to a standstill, then drop whole divisions of marines on it. Also, I like the fact that you basically pulled an Indian Jones in space.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11344 on: August 28, 2012, 04:48:05 am »

I'd like to imagine that due to the speed difference 98% of your marines just died in transit/space and admits the corpses a singular badass arrives.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11345 on: August 28, 2012, 07:43:03 am »

You have to be 20 times or more faster than your enemy to take no landing losses. At 10 times the enemy speed that will be from 10% to 100% losses and at exactly the enemy speed (if you manage to catch him at all) it is 19.5%-195% (total loss about half of the time and around 80-90% losses in most other cases).

By the way - the wiki states that marines fight at double strength when boarding ships and PDCs.

Unfortunately there is no way to specifically target ship engines unlike electronic systems. At least disabling all enemy fire controls with microwaves can make it almost toothless and safer to attempt boarding.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11346 on: August 28, 2012, 08:01:48 am »

Nope, all you can do is target it with mesons and wait for its speed to drop, hoping it won't blow. It'd be pretty neat if you could use tractor beam to latch on enemy ships and slow them down. It would actually be awesome for Newtonian Aurora: have tugs to hurl engine less ships in the vacuum and catch them and slow them on arrival.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11347 on: August 28, 2012, 08:36:15 am »

It doesn't matter if there's tens of thousands of alien badasses on the ship.  Will Smith's sass will keep aliens at bay as you upload a virus that disables their ship.  You know their wifi password, right?  I think that's on the diplomacy screen somewhere...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 09:31:17 am by Canisaur »

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #11348 on: August 28, 2012, 08:43:50 am »

HAHAHA INSIDE JOKE THAT I DIDN'T UNDERSTAND

When's the next update coming? IF it's coming, that is.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11349 on: August 28, 2012, 08:56:55 am »

Nope, all you can do is target it with mesons and wait for its speed to drop, hoping it won't blow. It'd be pretty neat if you could use tractor beam to latch on enemy ships and slow them down. It would actually be awesome for Newtonian Aurora: have tugs to hurl engine less ships in the vacuum and catch them and slow them on arrival.
Well, you'd want pressor beams for the pitching. Which in turn would (hopefully) mean tractor/pressor beam weapons.

Personally, I'm wanting tugs to be able to tractor planetary bodies below a certain mass and pull them into a new, abruptly terminating orbit for use as KBWs.

When's the next update coming? IF it's coming, that is.
Be enlightened.

When it's ready. 5.70 is making a number of substantial changes, and after that IIRC Steve is turning entirely towards working on Aurora 2.

3. Run Resize Enable

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #11350 on: August 28, 2012, 09:08:23 am »

When it's ready. 5.70 is making a number of substantial changes, and after that IIRC Steve is turning entirely towards working on Aurora 2.

no more newtonian aurora?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11351 on: August 28, 2012, 09:13:49 am »

no more newtonian aurora?
It's still there, but it and Aurora 2 are different projects. Last I heard, Aurora 2 was the priority.

3. Run Resize Enable

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11352 on: August 28, 2012, 09:35:29 am »

Sorry, updated with reference.  Thanks Flying Dice.

There's a scene where the main characters fly into an alien mothership and disable it by uploading a virus from a normal everyday laptop.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #11353 on: August 28, 2012, 09:39:22 am »

duh, it is called universal plug and play for a reason

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11354 on: August 28, 2012, 09:42:26 am »

The aliens were using vista, they got so sick of being spammed with messages from the firewall asking if all the random radio messages coming from earth were allowed access that they just turned it off.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 755 756 [757] 758 759 ... 1347