Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 750 751 [752] 753 754 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818375 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #11265 on: August 17, 2012, 02:25:24 pm »

Oooh, I know this. My old nemesis. It's the thing where every turn length is shortened by a set amount. So a 5-second tick = 5 seconds; 2 minutes = 10 seconds; 5 minutes = 15 seconds; 20 minutes = 60 seconds; 1 hour = 60 seconds; 3 hours = 150 seconds; 8 hours = 300 seconds; and 1 day = 900 seconds. I remember running into this before. Anyone know of a specific way to resolve it? I do know that just burning through with autoturns doesn't fix things.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11266 on: August 17, 2012, 02:52:25 pm »

Sounds like it's stopping after the first subpulse for each increment. Which would seem to indicate a detection threshhold type issue. Short of using developer mode to go in and see (and delete) the offending targets, I can't think of any. I had a situation one time where the Invaders and the Swarm were facing off, and weren't attacking each other but the detection alerts were causing it drop to a crawl. Had to manually go in and make them fight. (and lemme tell ya, a good-sized drone swarm can put a hurt on the Invaders)

This has been one of my main reasons for leaving the Invaders turned off. Swarm and Precursors seem happy to rip each other up, but the AI doesn't seem to know what to do with Invaders. I'm guessing it's because if the Swarm kept shredding Invader scouts, they'd leave very advanced wreckage for the player(?) And the Invader AI doesn't seem to know what to do with Swarm.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11267 on: August 17, 2012, 02:54:21 pm »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is Invader-related, as I've just found a couple of their ships in the outskirts of one of my systems. They're turned off now, but there are still a ton of wormholes and ships in the galaxy. Looking over at the Aurora forums, it seems like they're the source of a lot of increment length problems.

3. Run Resize Enable

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11268 on: August 17, 2012, 05:06:50 pm »

Turned SM on, and now (some) of the increment variations are due to "imminent action." Some others are "Due to potential fleet interception." The latter doesn't have an NPR disclaimer, does that mean it's possibly one of my fleets getting pinged?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11269 on: August 17, 2012, 05:47:44 pm »

With the fleet interception, it can be--the only way to really tell is to tough it out and hope you don't eat mesons or missiles during an autoturn. With the former, if you select "combat" or "firing/damage" while in SM mode, you can double-click on one of the factions involved to switch over to a sort of read-only version of their perspective, so you can tell how much is left to go.

Incidentally, going to be doing a big AAR writeup of my invasion of the Gardeny Republic about five years from now (game time). That is, the people with 20 billion citizens on their homeworld and a fleet of 400ish warships.

3. Run Resize Enable

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11270 on: August 18, 2012, 11:42:08 am »

When making a fighter beam firecontrol, can I just choose the worst possible tracking, because it will use the fighters speed as tracking speed anyway?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11271 on: August 18, 2012, 11:51:44 am »

It adds them together, not chooses one or the other, so faster is still better.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11272 on: August 18, 2012, 12:12:55 pm »

The tracking speed on a FTR controller is 4x the normal for any given size, so even in the low tracking speed techs you can track just about any ship with it. If you're using your fighters for PD then maybe up it.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11273 on: August 18, 2012, 12:23:22 pm »

When making a fighter beam firecontrol, can I just choose the worst possible tracking, because it will use the fighters speed as tracking speed anyway?
The fighter's speed will become the weapon's tracking speed, but you'll still need a firecontrol that can match that tracking speed.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11274 on: August 18, 2012, 12:24:44 pm »

The fighter's speed will become the weapon's tracking speed, but you'll still need a firecontrol that can match that tracking speed.

Oh right yeah I forgot sorry.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11275 on: August 18, 2012, 12:47:59 pm »

Ah, good. There was my confusion. But it turns out the fire control would be 200t for enough range anyway. That is way too much.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11276 on: August 18, 2012, 03:43:06 pm »

Geez, what are you using on your fighters, particle beams?  :P

Oooh, and almost done with my deadline year, so I can get into the fun of ship design again before I go medieval on my friendly, massively more powerful neighbors.

3. Run Resize Enable

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11277 on: August 19, 2012, 12:06:48 pm »

How do I scrap PDCs? I'm doing a conventional start, and have some 200 missile bases that I want to get rid of, but under my shipyard there is no option to scrap them.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11278 on: August 19, 2012, 12:14:58 pm »

I'm just using missile fighters so far. But i thought about laser armed ones for use against the swarm.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11279 on: August 19, 2012, 12:18:17 pm »

Pretty sure you can scrap them using industry.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 750 751 [752] 753 754 ... 1347