Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 749 750 [751] 752 753 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818333 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #11250 on: August 16, 2012, 08:20:50 pm »

To be fair, the Aurora code is about as new, elegant, and efficient as a Soviet spacecraft. That's part of the reason for Aurora 2 being a thing, apart from the shift from Starfire-style FTL to Honor Harrington-style FTL.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11251 on: August 16, 2012, 10:08:16 pm »

I just started playing game blind and what do I need to build/research in order to make spaceship?
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Gidoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11252 on: August 16, 2012, 11:00:04 pm »

I just started playing game blind and what do I need to build/research in order to make spaceship?

It depends on what you want the ship to do. Let's say for example you're trying to make a basic intrasystem defense cruiser. To do this, you will need to design the following:

Active Sensors
Fire Control (Beam or Missile, depending on your armament, or both if you're mixing)
Engines
Missile launchers and magazines AND/OR
Beam weapons (Railguns, Lasers, Gauss cannons, High powered microwaves, Mesons, Particle beams...)

You'll also want to research armor because it reduces the mass penalty required to get a level of protection.

Now each of these components has multiple research branches that go together. For example, Engines have the engine type (Nuclear Thermal, Nuclear Pulse, Ion, Magnetoplasma, etc) and a fuel efficiency as the most basic requirements. But you can also research how to reduce the thermal signature (for avoiding thermal passive sensors), or you can tweak the engine's power yield to be greater (causing more fuel use but providing more speed) or lesser (which has the opposite effect).

Active sensors have two research branches, Active sensor strength and EM sensor strength. You can also research an electronic hardening that applies to multiple components but it really only helps against high powered microwaves. Missile fire controls operate using the same technology as active sensors, while beam fire controls are a separate tree involving fire control range and tracking speed.

Missile launchers have two techs, the Reload Speed and Reduced Size. Reduced size launchers fire slower, but have much less mass to them so you can fit more, going all the way down to box launchers that have to be reloaded externally. The magazines are a little more complex, as they have both a storage efficiency (higher research = more missiles per hullspace), an Ejection system which comes into play if the magazine is hit in combat, and they also feed off your armor level if you wish to make them reinforced.

Beam weapons generally fall under a bore diameter (10cm, 12cm, 15cm, 20cm etc) combined with a 'range' modifier. For lasers, this range modifier is the spectrum, while gauss and railguns use a launch velocity.

Note that this is... really a gross simplification and actually doesn't explain anything worth a damn. It should give you a basic understanding of how complex it is, and give you stepping stones to figure out more. I highly recommend going to the Aurora forums and looking at the bureau of ship design, or some of Steve's AARs. And this goes nothing into /missile/ design, which by itself is somewhat complex and about to get worse.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11253 on: August 16, 2012, 11:54:34 pm »

Its possible to learn DF through play and reading the wiki.

Aurora has no wiki. It has maybe 10 (semi-)outdated tutorials on the aurora forums and you're ability to use the search bar.

Anyway since you're new at this I suggest using missiles, since for the most part their considered OP.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11254 on: August 16, 2012, 11:56:52 pm »

It does have a wiki. It's not terribly helpful or well-maintained, though someone has been editing the front page recently.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11255 on: August 17, 2012, 12:36:43 am »

Apparently the "random short interval slowdown for no discernable reason" issue is contagious. Kill me now before I break something slamming my head into my desk.

3. Run Resize Enable

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11256 on: August 17, 2012, 04:55:56 am »

As the last resort you can open the database/savegame file in Access, look at the last messages in GameLog table (more than what you would see with just SM on in-game) and then try to vanish everything offending by their IDs from corresponding tables.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11257 on: August 17, 2012, 07:52:12 am »

And this goes nothing into /missile/ design, which by itself is somewhat complex and about to get worse moar awesome.
FTFY.  :D

Yeah, it's gonna be a lot more to deal with, but oh the variety of things you'll be able to do with it....

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11258 on: August 17, 2012, 08:42:54 am »

I'm just worried about Paul's(?) missile design spreadsheet not working with the 5.70 missiles.

3. Run Resize Enable

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11259 on: August 17, 2012, 08:49:48 am »

People'll figure out a new one.

I'm looking forward to (hopefully) size 1 ASM not being the mathematical best choice.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11260 on: August 17, 2012, 09:07:09 am »

I'm looking forward to planet-buster torpedos that I could launch from hundreds of millions of kilometers away that putter forward slowly, while I send in a skirmish fleet to draw off the planet's defense squadron, hopefully leaving it bereft of anti-missile defenses.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11261 on: August 17, 2012, 09:08:17 am »

You can pry my size 8 ASM from my cold dead and slightly radioactive hands ;)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11262 on: August 17, 2012, 01:45:01 pm »

Incredibly torn between desire to continue this campaign (because it's awesome) and start a new one (because of unceasing interval shortening frustration).

3. Run Resize Enable

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11263 on: August 17, 2012, 01:54:40 pm »

size 8 are Heavy ASM for my fleet. :)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11264 on: August 17, 2012, 02:08:06 pm »

I really need to get back to working on my Terran Alliance game (the one I was doing all the fiction for). But I've been holding off because my fics are about 6-8 months behind the in-game timeline, and playing has become less of a game and more of a chore as I document every damn thing so I have notes for writing from.  :(

Pages: 1 ... 749 750 [751] 752 753 ... 1347