Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 747 748 [749] 750 751 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818295 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #11220 on: August 15, 2012, 10:31:05 am »

Er, I'm still running out of cash, doh :|
Maybe i should stop researching the increased research and increased construction/mineral output technologies while grinding Factories and Automines for the first 10 years like i always do.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11221 on: August 15, 2012, 10:41:47 am »

Or conquer a few billion aliens. In other news, I've got fully operational plasma torps and am busy burning through the tech. Got a few points for absorption shields, but I turned Invaders off for a while as they were causing mass slowdown with all the fights they were getting into.

Personally, I always have a researcher grinding for increased research output techs. The only thing that beats research is more research.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11222 on: August 15, 2012, 10:58:48 am »

If you research the improved construction/mining/research/etc techs then make sure to research the 'expand civilian economy' tech alongside them, otherwise you are going to very easily run out of money. It is also worth setting up colonies on any reasonably hospitable (colony cost 6 or under) world even if they have no minerals in order to boost your taxpaying population.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 11:03:57 am by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11223 on: August 15, 2012, 11:45:49 am »

Or conquer a few billion aliens. In other news, I've got fully operational plasma torps and am busy burning through the tech. Got a few points for absorption shields, but I turned Invaders off for a while as they were causing mass slowdown with all the fights they were getting into.

And then Flying Dice was the Invaders.

It'd be nice if there was some way to research and utilize their wormhole tech. Maybe a device that would allow you to create a wormhole to a random new system, and over time the wormhole becomes more unstable.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11224 on: August 15, 2012, 12:38:19 pm »

It'd be nice if there was some way to research and utilize their wormhole tech. Maybe a device that would allow you to create a wormhole to a random new system, and over time the wormhole becomes more unstable.

And to add to the comparison between Flying Dice and the Invaders, remember that Flying Dice still has that hidden jumppoint into the opposing NPRs core, which only Flying Dice and not the opposing NPR knows about.  One-directional invasion, sounds kind of familiar, eh?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11225 on: August 15, 2012, 12:41:19 pm »

And to add to the comparison between Flying Dice and the Invaders, remember that Flying Dice still has that hidden jumppoint into the opposing NPRs core, which only Flying Dice and not the opposing NPR knows about.  One-directional invasion, sounds kind of familiar, eh?
Bwahahaha--*hem*

But even if I didn't make a regular habit of xenocide and enslavement, they've been feeding hundreds of ships to the Swarm in another system. That alone merits a few dozen missiles to their population centers.

3. Run Resize Enable

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11226 on: August 15, 2012, 12:47:23 pm »

Stargates Jumpgates into star swarm systems should really have some signs posted reading "please don't feed the star swarm".

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11227 on: August 15, 2012, 12:49:24 pm »

Stargates Jumpgates into star swarm systems should really have some signs posted reading "please don't feed the star swarm".

That can be summarized as "Do Not Enter".  :P

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11228 on: August 15, 2012, 02:46:34 pm »

Close to a decade of constant 1-day interrupts because of intercept checks on civilian vessels in NPR space. FUCK YOU, CIVVIES. YOUR ASSES ARE GETTING REPOSSESSED.

3. Run Resize Enable

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11229 on: August 15, 2012, 06:01:32 pm »

How much smaller is a Size 1 missle than a Size 6? More precisely, how much does the range for detection change?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11230 on: August 15, 2012, 06:03:27 pm »

It doesn't. The smallest size for detection purposes is missile size 6, if your missile is smaller than this it will be counted as size 6 for detection. Note that it appears the game actually uses 0.33 HS to be missile size 6 instead of the 0.3 you would expect.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 06:06:45 pm by Metalax »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11231 on: August 15, 2012, 06:07:45 pm »

Huh. I'd heard the reverse in other places.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11232 on: August 15, 2012, 06:13:29 pm »

Well since missiles travel in 5 second increments (and most missile travel faster than 20k km/s) you may not detect the missile on the edge of that detection range but somewhere below it.

And I've seen precursor missiles travel 45k km/s before, which is 225k km/5s, so for a missile detection sensor to be effective its size 6 detection range would have to be at least that, and more if you want tracking bonuses (you want tracking bonuses).

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11233 on: August 15, 2012, 06:16:03 pm »

Huh. I'd heard the reverse in other places.

Detection did use to go down to missile size 1 but that was changed a while back, around version 5.1 or so.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11234 on: August 15, 2012, 06:16:38 pm »

Good advice, thanks. I've not actually gotten into combat yet. I just scrapped a game because I couldn't find anyone, and I'd made too many ignorant errors (8000 ton ships with 40000-ton capable jump drives, for example.)
Pages: 1 ... 747 748 [749] 750 751 ... 1347