Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 734 735 [736] 737 738 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817906 times)

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #11025 on: August 05, 2012, 11:22:09 pm »

Bleh. Anyone have any ideas, or should I just trash my saves and start over?

Maybe you can ask Steve for the database password and take a closer look, and *maybe* fix it up.

Otherwise, no idea.

Also, I play Aurora in a virtual machine, which is able to display larger resolutions in a window with scrollbars. A good choice if you have a system disk or something similar.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 11:25:48 pm by JWNoctis »
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11026 on: August 05, 2012, 11:41:28 pm »

It sounds like the default species used for empty colonies has managed to get set to a null/erroneous value instead of the main species of your empire. It isn't happening when you drop off colonists because the faulty species of the initially empty colony gets overwritten by the species of the colonists placed there.

Did you create the game by initially creating the sol system and then deleting it after setting up your new homeworld? If so did you make sure a capital was set once sol had been deleted? Did the problem start from the first colony/CMC that was founded or did it appear later?

Has the game been modified using the dev password? if not you may want to post it up over in the bugs section of the aurora forum.

It may be just a glitch in this particular game but if you are going to scrap it I'd suggest restoring from your backup of the originally installed database.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11027 on: August 05, 2012, 11:54:25 pm »

It sounds like the default species used for empty colonies has managed to get set to a null/erroneous value instead of the main species of your empire. It isn't happening when you drop off colonists because the faulty species of the initially empty colony gets overwritten by the species of the colonists placed there.

Did you create the game by initially creating the sol system and then deleting it after setting up your new homeworld? If so did you make sure a capital was set once sol had been deleted? Did the problem start from the first colony/CMC that was founded or did it appear later?

Has the game been modified using the dev password? if not you may want to post it up over in the bugs section of the aurora forum.

It may be just a glitch in this particular game but if you are going to scrap it I'd suggest restoring from your backup of the originally installed database.

That's essentially the conclusion I've reached as well.

1. I used the SM Race start, so I believe not.
2. Yep, the world I started on is correctly identified as my capitol.
3. It began with the first CMC and has reoccured in every non-colonist founded colony thusfar.
4. No dev mode modification at all.

As of the moment, the /0 errors have stopped for the only currently existing CMC, though I'm not sure why, as all the other symptoms of the problem persist. I'm not too deep into this game (less than a decade), so I think I'll just start a new game and make sure it is confined to this particular save. I'm tempted to identify it as being related to the fact that it isn't a Sol start, as that is the only "new" thing about this game as compared to previous ones. Meh, nichevo. Maybe I'll bump the difficulty modifier up to 1000% and the NPR gen rate to 75% or so this time around; Swarm and Precursors alone get boring after a while.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11028 on: August 06, 2012, 12:21:40 am »

Hello all,

I've just started to get into Aurora, I still have no idea what I'm doing but that is not the point of this post.
I've been playing on my laptop with a resolution of 1366x768, and was somewhat unsatisfied with Flying Dice's solution to the small screen size. Therefore I did some research and have come up with, in my opinion, a better way and thought I would share.

The solution involves a program called AutoHotkey(http://www.autohotkey.com), which runs scripts that can do various things, in this case a script that will remove the windows border, and make the window fullscreen (even covering the taskbar). This is a perfect fit at a resolution of 1366x768 with all windows I tried.

The Script code is available here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You can create a script with this using the instructions available on the AutoHotkey site, or use premade scripts below.

Premade .ahk file: http://www.mediafire.com/?n1b97z2221wma0w (requires AutoHotkey)
Or a compiled .exe: http://www.mediafire.com/?fcsfqk8xk5sdxdi (this does not require AutoHotkey to be installed)

To use, run the script or exe, and hold the Windows key whilst left clicking on the window in question. Repeat to return to normal. Doing this repeatedly appears to cause the window contents to shift off the screen, so just close and re-open the window if this happens.

Thanks, that compiled one seems to work nicely.  I'll just have to write a little note to myself so I remember how it works.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11029 on: August 06, 2012, 12:31:14 am »

All my planets and moons are named something like "SolA IV". Except Earth. And I can't get anyone to actually survive on the moon so my three terraformers shipped from earth are useless. Do I need more Infrastructure? Do I need to design a terraforming ship? My citizens are going to be telling horror stories about the early colonization attempts.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11030 on: August 06, 2012, 12:36:35 am »

By default Luna can't be brought down to 0.00 cost, as the gravity is too low for normal human standards. With a bit of genemodding you can get around that, but you'll need to do the research and conversions, which really isn't worth it. Or you can just use plenty of infrastructure, though unless you've got RP to do there isn't much of a reason to colonize Luna. As for the other, I'm not sure. Was it a normal Sol start or a SM Galaxy/Race start?

3. Run Resize Enable

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11031 on: August 06, 2012, 12:49:10 am »

Normal Sol start I think. I just followed the instructions the wiki quick-start guide gave me.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11032 on: August 06, 2012, 01:07:19 am »

Orbital Habitats are probably the easiest way to get people living on Luna. Don't even need a tug, just strap an engine on them and it'll probably only take a week.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11033 on: August 06, 2012, 01:17:45 am »

Is there any way to get an infinite supply of fuel? or will you inevitably run out of sorium no matter what you do?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11034 on: August 06, 2012, 01:28:04 am »

If you get a multimillion ton source and decent fuel efficiency tech, your fuel is functionally infinite. A single gas giant and a group of harvester-bases supported by tankers can keep you going for a century or more. One thing to keep in mind with smaller sources (such as your starting one) is that you should deactive your refineries before you convert your entire stockpile, as you need Sorium for a number of things apart from fuel.

3. Run Resize Enable

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11035 on: August 06, 2012, 02:04:07 am »

Last time I checked, you were simply unable to colonize a planet that didn't fit the graviational norms unless you used orbital habitats.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11036 on: August 06, 2012, 02:12:12 am »

Last time I checked, you were simply unable to colonize a planet that didn't fit the graviational norms unless you used orbital habitats.
Pretty much. I've set the gravity tolerance for the human race to 90% taking a page of Steve's programmed changes to next version, which allows me to colonize luna.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11037 on: August 06, 2012, 02:34:18 am »

Pretty much. I've set the gravity tolerance for the human race to 90% taking a page of Steve's programmed changes to next version, which allows me to colonize luna.

Oh, that makes more sense.  Go Moon People!

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11038 on: August 06, 2012, 02:46:59 am »

Great. Now I have to figure out how to build orbital habitats. So even if you give Luna an atmosphere and infrastructure your colonists can't live there?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11039 on: August 06, 2012, 02:56:13 am »

Nope, too low gravity or too high gravity=Infrastructure and Terraforming will never make the planet habitable.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 734 735 [736] 737 738 ... 1347