Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 732 733 [734] 735 736 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817822 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #10995 on: August 02, 2012, 07:23:43 pm »

I'm pretty sure you can add methane breathing races right now from SM mode.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10996 on: August 02, 2012, 07:29:08 pm »

Yeah, just make the race on a planet with a methane atmosphere.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #10997 on: August 03, 2012, 01:11:54 am »

About 3v1 point defence:

Is it a fleet based stat? I mean, I have a hundred or so launchers, split amongst 40kt of gunboats, if a single missle shows up, do I expect three missile to be shot or three hundred?

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10998 on: August 03, 2012, 03:25:35 am »

About 3v1 point defence:

Is it a fleet based stat? I mean, I have a hundred or so launchers, split amongst 40kt of gunboats, if a single missle shows up, do I expect three missile to be shot or three hundred?

It's fleet based. Or rather, empire based.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #10999 on: August 03, 2012, 04:09:50 am »

That's great, as those old ship only carry 8 reloads (8 tubes with a 56 size magazine each)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11000 on: August 03, 2012, 10:05:52 am »

One tip with methane-breathers: go for a cold planet to start, as most of the methane planets you'll find out there are going to be outer planets (often moons of gas giants).

Did yet another nebula start (this time without DB bugs): Class 12 Nebula, have found at least 7 other nebula systems nearby. Found yet another super-distant binary (although only 9800 AUs this time) with habitable N-O worlds around the companion and no Lagrange points. RNG says trololo.

I'm actually kind of shocked at how many uninhabited nitrogen-oxygen worlds I'm finding. When I play with Real Stars on, it seems almost a given that a ni-ox world will have some kind of surprise waiting for me. Other than a pair of destroyed outposts (one of which was on a small, airless moon) I've found squat through about 15 systems (other than that potentially inhabited N-O world in that one far binary).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11001 on: August 03, 2012, 11:43:06 am »

Usually when I've encountered enemy missiles ships, its been a moderate number (like 11 or 12 a salvo) of size 6-8 missiles, or its been "size 1 missile 25000km/s x55". The latter are the scary ones.

Anyway, some ship specs for my newest fleet.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11002 on: August 03, 2012, 01:57:58 pm »

I'd recommend a backup PD sensor on the PD ship. If you only need to detect the missiles from about 30k km you should be able to use a very small sensor to detect the missiles at max range. The same actually for the Chrome Thunder, except with a bigger resolution. For the ranges you are working with you can use very small sensors and still be able to target find. That way the sensor ship won't be that big of a weak link, specially considering they'll likely target it first due to detecting the sensors. You might want to up its armor a bit as well.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong: The Chrome Thunder uses 8 turrets, each with a single laser? And the Phalanx, 8 turrets, each with 3 mesons?

And finally: You might want more fire controls, specially for PD. The way it is built, all turrets will have to fire at the same target/stack of missiles if I remember correctly.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11003 on: August 03, 2012, 02:06:21 pm »

Nice combo, my one nitpick is that I'd really want at least one more fire control even if it wasn't as long ranged as the 1st one, just in case there's a bunch of FACS or multiple small missile salvos.  Plus removing the chance that one lucky meson hit makes a whole ship combat ineffective.

DANGIT ninja'd again - and good point you can probably save some space/bp by making multiple gun turrets, # of targets is limited by the # of fire controls anyway...

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11004 on: August 03, 2012, 07:09:20 pm »

Thanks for the advice guys! I've already made some of those same upgrades to the mark 2's.

The phalanx was actually using 8 size 6 single gauss cannon turrets.

I have since changed the designs to incorporate all the new tech I've researched, the refit costs are almost 1.2 times the cost of just building a whole new ship so I'm keeping the old ones in service for a while. The Chrome Thunders now use twin turrets with the same lasers, upgraded the fire control range and speed. The phalanx went from using single turrets to quads along with maxing out the range and speed of the fire controller. The Hawkeye is getting some passive sensors so it can be more useful along with some smaller active sensors using the new tech.

I know the hawkeye is a weak link when you put small sensors on the other ships, but I keep it there for early detection of threats and for scanning large areas. Also the big res 1 sensor is there to capitalize on tracking time bonuses. I'm going up against missile that are going some 45000km/s so I'm keeping it.

Also I recently lost two ships to RAMMING by the precursors, how can I stop them from pulling this annoying stunt?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And in the future I'm planning to build some kind of raiding ships to attack the 16000 ton ships the precursors have which keep running away from me. It will probably be a type of carrier loaded with FAC's.

EDIT: I know multiple fire controls are good for business, but my last fleet had like 8 of the PD ships in it and fought off the missiles just fine.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 07:12:29 pm by darkrider2 »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11005 on: August 04, 2012, 06:47:04 am »

Also I recently lost two ships to RAMMING by the precursors, how can I stop them from pulling this annoying stunt?

Don't make your ships so slooow?  :P

That, or figure out what sort of sacrifice you need to make to get the RNG back on your side, as I've never had ships rammed by Precursors (only a certain wormholey foe), and their ships are so lightly armored and low-tonnage that it shouldn't do too much damage (relatively speaking). But yeah, in all seriousness, shoot them before they close to point-blank range. If they're doing that, it means that they're missile ships and are out of munitions.

As to what you were mentioning RedKing, I just started another new (SM race) game with RS off (with typical all 3 special enemies on and 500% difficulty modifier--a sort of medium-tech but very low population and infrastructure and 1 researcher/1 admin/no milcommanders start to fit with the RP goal of a lost colony reclaiming Earth.) and ended up getting this:

Yep, my starting system had 3 <2.0 cost and 2 <4.0 cost; there are 5 more <2.0 cost bodies and 8 <4.0 cost bodies all within 2 jumps of home. That, and I've got notable Precursor counts in 4 systems. I need to turn RS off more often, I think.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #11006 on: August 04, 2012, 07:16:29 am »

Switch the Balakirev and the Midgard chains so it will be symmetric :V

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11007 on: August 04, 2012, 01:29:08 pm »

I while back I was surveying a system when I noticed precursor wrecks started piling up around the primary star. I thought to myself, man, who the hell is kicking the shit out of the precursors? They've been giving me the run around for years now.

Needless to say I later returned to that system, in the 63 known systems I had forgotten which one it was, I did know it had the precursor control tag on it in the gal map but all the wrecks were gone so I couldn't tell yet.

Then.

Alien ship contact x99.
Intelligence reveals the [class] has a speed of 10000km/s.
Estimated tonnage 800 tons.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I think their feeding on my old fleets remains now.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #11008 on: August 04, 2012, 03:27:59 pm »

Speaking of which, will my lame size 1 missiles work on the uh, fun wreck eater things, assuming they are keeping a healthy weight of 800 tons?

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11009 on: August 04, 2012, 03:42:51 pm »

Depends, those small ships usually have 3-5 armor, star swarm has more armor than the precursors.

But I'm almost completely certain the swarm has next to no point defense in their smaller ships. So splurge, get some missiles with 16 warhead strength.

Anyway I just sent my brand new mark II fleet into a system that I thought was precursor controlled, nope, the goddamn swarm was waiting for me. After loosing all my sensor ships and PD ships, and four destroyers, 14 ships total, I wittled them down to nothing and killed em all.

I'm going to design some ships specifically for fighting the swarm cause the losses are unacceptable right now.

The commanders of the four remaining destroyers are all receiving service medals for their sacrifices in the field. And if I can save the life pods I'll give those commanders medals as well.

Edit: I had a weird thought, would it be possible to rotate the assignment of laser turrets to where I could have them all fire off one beam fire controller at different targets.

As it is now my destroyers have four turrets with a 20 sec recharge. So what if I fired one of them, switched the controller to another turret, fired that one, and eventually I could be firing continually every five seconds at seperate targets, I'm going to attempt this in my next swarm encounter, cause if my suspicions are correct, they should have mined my wrecks dry by now.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 03:51:03 pm by darkrider2 »
Pages: 1 ... 732 733 [734] 735 736 ... 1347