Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 721 722 [723] 724 725 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817402 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #10830 on: July 23, 2012, 04:04:56 pm »

I'm hoping that Steve adds an option to add nebulae to systems. I've forgotten, does the slowdown affect missiles as well? I seem to recall that it did.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10831 on: July 23, 2012, 04:06:01 pm »

I vaguely remember that missiles are utterly useless in a nebula. Not 100% sure.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10832 on: July 23, 2012, 04:10:42 pm »

Do they have a similar kind of armor restriction as ships maybe? So you'd have to have 25 MSP worth of armor to have your missiles go 25K km/s? (The restriction on ships is something like that right? I don't really remember).
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10833 on: July 23, 2012, 04:20:49 pm »

Missiles and shields simply don't work in a nebula system.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10834 on: July 23, 2012, 04:30:20 pm »

Well, my curiosity has finally been prodded enough to get me to download this game. While I could spend the next couple hours researching how to go about playing it to ensure I am as prepared as possible before actually starting it up like I did with DF, I think this time I'll just jump right into things while lacking any knowledge of how to do anything whatsoever, and see how it works out.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10835 on: July 23, 2012, 04:36:49 pm »

Well, my curiosity has finally been prodded enough to get me to download this game. While I could spend the next couple hours researching how to go about playing it to ensure I am as prepared as possible before actually starting it up like I did with DF, I think this time I'll just jump right into things while lacking any knowledge of how to do anything whatsoever, and see how it works out.
That's what I did, and it worked pretty okay. I just compared the displayes to Rollercoaster Tycoon and thought about those sort of menus would interconnect, and it sort of came naturally.
Kind of ironic really, because I recently re-installed RCT and found I couldn't do much competently anymore.

Oh, but f3 is a good shortcut to know. It's pretty much the main screen, so yeah.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10836 on: July 23, 2012, 04:47:56 pm »

You brave, brave man.

Have fun with the Precursors. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10837 on: July 23, 2012, 10:37:05 pm »

Eh, I did pretty much the same thing. The best way to learn is by doing, neh?  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10838 on: July 24, 2012, 01:12:42 am »

I'm still confused about nebula, i know shields don't work in them, but whats the deal with missiles?
Do missile fire controls simply refuse to work?
And whats the speed/ armour thing you guys were just talking about?

EDIT: nvm, i found the description of nebulas in the forums.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,965.0.html
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 01:22:00 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10839 on: July 25, 2012, 07:39:01 pm »

Couldn't stand it any more and started a new campaign. And ye gods: 20.6m tons of Mercassium on Venus at 0.4; a bloody asteroid with 86k tons of 1.0 Neutronium, 71k tons of 1.0 Tritanium, 63k tons of 1.0 Mercassium, and 65k tons of 0.9 Sorium; and Europa with 2.2m tons of 0.9 Duranium, 1.1m tons of 0.3 Neutronium, 540k tons of 1.0 Tritanium, 1.2m tons of 0.9 Corundium, and 2.4m tons of 0.4 Gallicite. Saturn, its moons, the rest of the outer planets, and the Kuiper Belt still haven't been surveyed, and I'm already looking at 7 of the 11 minerals being present in quantities and qualities that basically have me set from a few decades for the Sorium to essentially forever for Mercassium. Who needs extrasolar mining when you've been blessed by the RNG?

Aaaand I've just recruited a commander named, I shit you not, "Long Rodman". <.<  >.>
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 07:58:58 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10840 on: July 25, 2012, 09:21:23 pm »

Couldn't stand it any more and started a new campaign. And ye gods: 20.6m tons of Mercassium on Venus at 0.4; a bloody asteroid with 86k tons of 1.0 Neutronium, 71k tons of 1.0 Tritanium, 63k tons of 1.0 Mercassium, and 65k tons of 0.9 Sorium; and Europa with 2.2m tons of 0.9 Duranium, 1.1m tons of 0.3 Neutronium, 540k tons of 1.0 Tritanium, 1.2m tons of 0.9 Corundium, and 2.4m tons of 0.4 Gallicite. Saturn, its moons, the rest of the outer planets, and the Kuiper Belt still haven't been surveyed, and I'm already looking at 7 of the 11 minerals being present in quantities and qualities that basically have me set from a few decades for the Sorium to essentially forever for Mercassium. Who needs extrasolar mining when you've been blessed by the RNG?

Aaaand I've just recruited a commander named, I shit you not, "Long Rodman". <.<  >.>

Wow, that is good news!  It practically guarantees that Steve will release the new version in the next week or two!   :P

The RNG knows when a new release is imminent...  :o

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10841 on: July 26, 2012, 09:10:14 am »

And let me guess--you're a Hive Mind Race, so you'll never get CMCs?  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10842 on: July 26, 2012, 09:17:35 am »

Does someone have a good planet pack for this game? My actual selection is limited.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #10843 on: July 26, 2012, 11:28:40 am »

I kind of want to play this game, just with a more involved, realistic economic simulation. So you could find ores and stuff on planets and ship them back to earth for refining, for instance. And real minerals instead of fantasy ones.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #10844 on: July 26, 2012, 11:45:13 am »

Well, asking for the real minerals, kinda of ignores the major premises of the game. These /trans/newtonian elements is what allows for these FTL awesome spaceships.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 721 722 [723] 724 725 ... 1347