Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 718 719 [720] 721 722 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817332 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #10785 on: July 16, 2012, 05:56:57 pm »

Yeah, the system combat window (where you assign weapon groups and targets, etc.) has buttons for shields and active sensors. I believe that the Ships window also has them, though you'd need to activate them for each ship individually if you did it that way.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10786 on: July 16, 2012, 08:33:12 pm »

I know a part of the error is that you can't see the design specs after a certain point, yes?

Is it possible that you'll still be able to build them in your shipyard? It's possible you don't have enough build-space in your shipyard. Try and upgrade the tonnage.

Correct, I also tried to upgrade the tonnage but doesn't help a bit. Can't build and cannot see the summary completely.

Detailed summary in ship designer?  Like design mode?

It locks out when you start constructing the vessel.  If you can't access design mode prior to starting construction of the ship, then it's probably a bug, unless you accidentally pressed "lock".

If you're trying to access design mode but you can't, press the "unlock" button.  But note that this will change all active vessels of the type, so it's sort of cheating to do it if you already have vessels of the type built.  But if you're getting locked out prior to building the vessel, it might help.

Or are you refering to something other than design mode (where you add and delete components from a ship design)?

I can access all screens, but when I want to add more then 2 things on a ship, all the information except for the name dissappears. I think I might be doing something wrong, but even when following the tutorials it doesn't seem I am.
It'd probably be best to either record so we can see what's going on in more detail, or try reinstalling completely if you haven't already. Another idea, you may have upgraded the wrong type of shipyard. Type C are civilian, type N is Naval, or in other words military. You can't build military ships in a civilian yard.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

vaaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10787 on: July 17, 2012, 12:47:16 pm »

I know a part of the error is that you can't see the design specs after a certain point, yes?

Is it possible that you'll still be able to build them in your shipyard? It's possible you don't have enough build-space in your shipyard. Try and upgrade the tonnage.

Correct, I also tried to upgrade the tonnage but doesn't help a bit. Can't build and cannot see the summary completely.

It locks out when you start constructing the vessel.  If you can't access design mode prior to starting construction of the ship, then it's probably a bug, unless you accidentally pressed "lock".

If you're trying to access design mode but you can't, press the "unlock" button.  But note that this will change all active vessels of the type, so it's sort of cheating to do it if you already have vessels of the type built.  But if you're getting locked out prior to building the vessel, it might help.

Or are you refering to something other than design mode (where you add and delete components from a ship design)?

I can access all screens, but when I want to add more then 2 things on a ship, all the information except for the name dissappears. I think I might be doing something wrong, but even when following the tutorials it doesn't seem I am.
It'd probably be best to either record so we can see what's going on in more detail, or try reinstalling completely if you haven't already. Another idea, you may have upgraded the wrong type of shipyard. Type C are civilian, type N is Naval, or in other words military. You can't build military ships in a civilian yard.

Ok, there is some improvement, although I have no idea why. I just started the game I last made to check if anything was different, and I can retool now, though I still have the same problem of not seeing the description of the ship :(

Waterplouf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10788 on: July 17, 2012, 02:52:05 pm »

from the combat screen, I think it was f8 or something
Yeah, the system combat window (where you assign weapon groups and targets, etc.) has buttons for shields and active sensors. I believe that the Ships window also has them, though you'd need to activate them for each ship individually if you did it that way.
Thanks you very much. :)
Also, I built a jump gate to a system where I found a bunch of unknown wrecks and ( it seems ) a already built jumpgate. The little square on the map is red, and it disapear when I don't have any vessels in the system. I was wondering if it was really a Jumpgate ?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10789 on: July 17, 2012, 02:56:53 pm »

Also, I built a jump gate to a system where I found a bunch of unknown wrecks and ( it seems ) a already built jumpgate. The little square on the map is red, and it disapear when I don't have any vessels in the system. I was wondering if it was really a Jumpgate ?
It is. A red jumpgate is an "ancient" jumpgate (for lack of a better term) that's randomly generated when the system was generated. And those wrecks? Well....either there was a battle there, or you might want to start developing a starship-sized can of Raid.  :-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10790 on: July 17, 2012, 03:57:16 pm »

Ok, there is some improvement, although I have no idea why. I just started the game I last made to check if anything was different, and I can retool now, though I still have the same problem of not seeing the description of the ship :(

It sounds like a database error.  I think uninstalling all Aurora stuff then reinstalling Aurora into Programs x86 is your best bet, making certain to install all the patches.

It is. A red jumpgate is an "ancient" jumpgate (for lack of a better term) that's randomly generated when the system was generated. And those wrecks? Well....either there was a battle there, or you might want to start developing a starship-sized can of Raid.  :-\

And personally, my money is on your sudden need of Minty-Flavored Space-Insecticide.  :P

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #10791 on: July 20, 2012, 03:05:19 pm »

Guys, does anyone know how the diplomacy teams work? I assigned one to a new race, hit initiate communication and after like 6 months it said 'communication impossible: too alien'. What does that mean? Does that mean that I'll always be at war with them? They just had like 30 fighters on this one jump point which was weird...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 05:08:52 pm by Chocolatemilkgod »
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10792 on: July 20, 2012, 03:10:51 pm »

Does that mean that I'll always be at war with them?

Yep. There's two types of aliens, NPRs (non player race), which operate like your own empire: they start on a home planet, expand into other systems, build industry, have civilian shipping, and so on. And then there are the three special races, which cannot be negotiated with and will be encountered in random and scattered systems. You'll notice options to disable each of them at the start of a game.

Based on your description of their fleet, the above comments about Minty Insecticide are probably relevant.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10793 on: July 20, 2012, 05:01:23 pm »

Ahhh so those are the space bugs. Been wondering if I'd see them soon. Since my battle tactics are very much in...uh...it's 'testing' phases, how would you respond to the threat? I was going to try to build something like 30 fighters armed with lasers and see how much damage they could do (although if the enemy is still sitting on the jump point, my fighters would be blind for a while) but...what would you do?

EDIT: Also how do you bombard planets? Right now I'm pumping another race's atmosphere full of fluorine, but I'm guessing there's a more accepted way ;)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 05:28:41 pm by Chocolatemilkgod »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10794 on: July 20, 2012, 05:29:32 pm »

Ahhh so those are the space bugs. Been wondering if I'd see them soon. Since my battle tactics are very much in...uh...it's 'testing' phases, how would you respond to the threat? I was going to try to build something like 30 fighters armed with lasers and see how much damage they could do (although if the enemy is still sitting on the jump point, my fighters would be blind for a while) but...what would you do?

Ignore them and hope that they do nothing. Invaders are Scary. Their shields are amazing, their anti-missile defences are strong, and their torpedoes are death machines. I've seen three or four invader ships take on an entire NPR fleet and win (or at least were winning until I stopped them from interrupting my turns). I'm talking about at least a hundred vessels of different makes and sizes. Yeah, you might want to disable Invaders if you're just starting out.

D­utchling

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Beware the children!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10795 on: July 20, 2012, 05:32:12 pm »

Turning on invaders basically changes the game's genre from 'sci-fi 4x' to 'last stand alien survival madness extreme this is sparta'.

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10796 on: July 20, 2012, 05:42:59 pm »

Wait I thought they were the space bugs. I'm pretty sure their fighters are only armed with one meson cannon and that's it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10797 on: July 20, 2012, 05:44:25 pm »

Ignore them and hope that they do nothing. Invaders are Scary. Their shields are amazing, their anti-missile defences are strong, and their torpedoes are death machines. I've seen three or four invader ships take on an entire NPR fleet and win (or at least were winning until I stopped them from interrupting my turns). I'm talking about at least a hundred vessels of different makes and sizes. Yeah, you might want to disable Invaders if you're just starting out.

But Chocolatemilkgod isn't facing the Invaders.  Note the clue was "wrecks start appearing out of nowhere", which means Swarm.  I don't have any first-hand experience fighting the Swarm, but from what I hear, the Queen's shields are powerful and regenerate quickly.  So you need to hit the Queen repeatedly with lots of damage.  I'd suggest capital ships, as laser-armed fighters are likely to spread out the damage, and thus not penetrate the Queen's shields.  Plus, every destroyed ship is another Worker the Queen can create, so sending in a large swarm could backfire if you don't win.

Now, I'm not saying that fighters aren't useful, as they can distract the Workers and overwhelm the Queen's weapons (I think the Queen only has like six weapon turrets, but they're all deadly).  So fighters are useful, but I wouldn't count on them alone to achieve victory.

Also, missile fighters might be more powerful, provided you can get them all to fire at the same time.

Do you have any Plasma Cannonade or Meson tech?  Both of those would be superior to the laser when fighting the Queen, provided your fighters can mount either of them.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10798 on: July 20, 2012, 05:46:14 pm »

I never heard of Swarm fighters. My experience is very limited though (one survey ship blasted to hell by presumably a Swarm ship).

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10799 on: July 20, 2012, 05:47:12 pm »

Herp Derp. I assumed that they were the Invaders for some reason. Yeah, just go with what EuchreJack said.
Pages: 1 ... 718 719 [720] 721 722 ... 1347