Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 717 718 [719] 720 721 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817264 times)

vaaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #10770 on: July 13, 2012, 09:04:34 am »

Ah that I don't have - all I know about 7 is "don't install it under Program Files".   You could try temporarily turning off various types of acceleration in dxdiag, once in  a great while that helps narrow down display glitches.   And of course you have rebooted at least once since you started to try it right?  That's still the way to get rid of transient spooky stuff, alas.  Other than that I got nothin - good luck...

Thanks, I'll make a directory right under c: then :)

Edit: Nope, doesn't work either :(
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 09:10:08 am by vaaern »

Pvtbones

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10771 on: July 13, 2012, 02:06:25 pm »

Are their any games like this? like somewhere between Aurora and Space Empires 4?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10772 on: July 13, 2012, 04:28:59 pm »

Has anyone here has much luck with geo sensor drones? I can make a size 20 drone but it only has a 0.145 strength geo sensor. Will this be useful at all as I really have no idea how high it should be to be useful.

I want to make a grav sensor ship with geo sensor drones. Mostly because it saves me from building another shipyard / retooling and the lower number of ships the better in my opinion. It all gets confusing way too fast.

I also forget how to make a line on the system map to see the distance. Is there anyone who didn't forget?

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10773 on: July 13, 2012, 05:20:08 pm »

To make a line select something that is at one end of where you want the line and hold down shift and drag the mouse. If you release shift before releasing the mouse the line will stay there until you click somewhere in the main area, you can freely use the resize/scroll map buttons in the top left.

I've used sensor drones on some of my exploratory gravsurvey jump ships to fire off at any promising looking planets while the ship looks for the next jump point. They also serve quite well as early warning of NPR's as they will usually shoot it down if present at those planets, although this is not a good thing if you want peaceful relations with new npr's.

Geo sensor drones should still work fine with a less than 1 sensor strength, they will just take longer to finish their survey. Make sure the drones have enough fuel to stay active until the survey finished.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 05:22:43 pm by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10774 on: July 13, 2012, 05:31:26 pm »

To make a line select something that is at one end of where you want the line and hold down shift and drag the mouse. If you release shift before releasing the mouse the line will stay there until you click somewhere in the main area, you can freely use the resize/scroll map buttons in the top left.

Huh, and here I thought I knew all the game's secrets.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10775 on: July 13, 2012, 05:39:57 pm »

Huh, and here I thought I knew all the game's secrets.

Even Steve has admitted he doesn't know all the little things that are in the game, and he wrote it.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10776 on: July 14, 2012, 04:31:08 am »

Do buoys use fuel when they don't move? I thought they should stay at a place forever once they reached their destination.

edit: I mean drone, I keep confusing those two.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 04:33:29 am by Dutchling »

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10777 on: July 14, 2012, 05:13:51 am »

Yes drones and missiles still use fuel when not moving which gives them a duration they can linger. This is one of the things that is being changed in the next update.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10778 on: July 14, 2012, 06:02:56 pm »

Ah that I don't have - all I know about 7 is "don't install it under Program Files".   You could try temporarily turning off various types of acceleration in dxdiag, once in  a great while that helps narrow down display glitches.   And of course you have rebooted at least once since you started to try it right?  That's still the way to get rid of transient spooky stuff, alas.  Other than that I got nothin - good luck...

Install Aurora in the Program Files (x86) file.  It doesn't work perfectly, as I get errors whenever I start a new game, but if you just ignore/click past those it works fine.

vaaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10779 on: July 15, 2012, 04:25:48 am »

Install Aurora in the Program Files (x86) file.  It doesn't work perfectly, as I get errors whenever I start a new game, but if you just ignore/click past those it works fine.

Yeah, but I've installed it on several places now and I don't get any error, it just won't show me a detailed summary after adding several parts, and causing me to not be able to build anything :(

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10780 on: July 15, 2012, 01:27:18 pm »

I know a part of the error is that you can't see the design specs after a certain point, yes?

Is it possible that you'll still be able to build them in your shipyard? It's possible you don't have enough build-space in your shipyard. Try and upgrade the tonnage.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10781 on: July 16, 2012, 03:18:35 am »

Yeah, but I've installed it on several places now and I don't get any error, it just won't show me a detailed summary after adding several parts, and causing me to not be able to build anything :(

Detailed summary in ship designer?  Like design mode?

It locks out when you start constructing the vessel.  If you can't access design mode prior to starting construction of the ship, then it's probably a bug, unless you accidentally pressed "lock".

If you're trying to access design mode but you can't, press the "unlock" button.  But note that this will change all active vessels of the type, so it's sort of cheating to do it if you already have vessels of the type built.  But if you're getting locked out prior to building the vessel, it might help.

Or are you refering to something other than design mode (where you add and delete components from a ship design)?

vaaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10782 on: July 16, 2012, 08:43:48 am »

I know a part of the error is that you can't see the design specs after a certain point, yes?

Is it possible that you'll still be able to build them in your shipyard? It's possible you don't have enough build-space in your shipyard. Try and upgrade the tonnage.

Correct, I also tried to upgrade the tonnage but doesn't help a bit. Can't build and cannot see the summary completely.

[/quote]

Detailed summary in ship designer?  Like design mode?

It locks out when you start constructing the vessel.  If you can't access design mode prior to starting construction of the ship, then it's probably a bug, unless you accidentally pressed "lock".

If you're trying to access design mode but you can't, press the "unlock" button.  But note that this will change all active vessels of the type, so it's sort of cheating to do it if you already have vessels of the type built.  But if you're getting locked out prior to building the vessel, it might help.

Or are you refering to something other than design mode (where you add and delete components from a ship design)?
[/quote]

I can access all screens, but when I want to add more then 2 things on a ship, all the information except for the name dissappears. I think I might be doing something wrong, but even when following the tutorials it doesn't seem I am.

Waterplouf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10783 on: July 16, 2012, 04:52:23 pm »

I was wondering, is there a way to activate/deactivate the sensors on a ship/fleet without asking him to go to a location ? I see it for shields and hyperdrive, but not for active sensors.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #10784 on: July 16, 2012, 04:55:29 pm »

from the combat screen, I think it was f8 or something
Pages: 1 ... 717 718 [719] 720 721 ... 1347