Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 716 717 [718] 719 720 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817268 times)

vaaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #10755 on: July 12, 2012, 04:59:38 am »

How do you make ships? If I design mine, after adding a second engine and sensor, the text just dissappears and I cannot seem to find how to build it? very confused! :o

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #10756 on: July 12, 2012, 07:12:04 am »

How do you make ships? If I design mine, after adding a second engine and sensor, the text just dissappears and I cannot seem to find how to build it? very confused! :o

What do you mean exactly? A screencap might help here.

A guess: You cannot build your ships directly from the design screen, and you need to assign your design to a shipyard on your planet, retool the yard for it, then give the build order and wait for a few months to a few years depending on your design, not unlike real-life shipbuilding.

You may also wish to check out those manuals on the official forum.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Waterplouf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10757 on: July 12, 2012, 10:11:39 am »

Yeah, Space Master mode is basically "cheats mode". You can use it to set up a campaign a certain way, or correct your foolish mistakes, or sometimes even fix bugs that come up.

If it's the tutorials on the wiki or the rules posts on the forums, I think basically all of it is still relevant to the current version. There will probably be only minor differences in the details for most features.
SM mode exists primarily for these reasons:
1. Fixing mistakes/problems.
2. Allocating starting RP and BP.
3. Creating custom races, setting up scenarios.
4. For someone running a multiplayer 'play-by-post' style game.

Thanks you guys, now I understand the purpose of this "cheat mode"  :P
(By the way, is there a way to set a conditionnal order in task groups for using by default by all the newly created task groups (like if less than 20% fuel go refuel to colony)?).

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10758 on: July 12, 2012, 10:14:12 am »

(By the way, is there a way to set a conditionnal order in task groups for using by default by all the newly created task groups (like if less than 20% fuel go refuel to colony)?).

If I understand you're question correctly, no, there is no way to automatically have task groups have certain conditional orders. It's a feature I would dearly like to see, though.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10759 on: July 12, 2012, 09:52:11 pm »

Can someone explain to me how your suppose to get a good idea of how far a certain range is? I tried using the sensor tab under the system map but it doesn't go by km.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10760 on: July 12, 2012, 10:01:01 pm »

Click on a planet or a fleet or whatever, so that your view is centered on it in the system map, and then look under the waypoints tab. You'll be able to put some range circles on the map. The orbit comparison in the display tab does something similar; I usually just use that for comparing the size of other systems to Sol.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10761 on: July 12, 2012, 10:08:59 pm »

Also in the upper left of the map itself, as you zoom in or out there's a number like "65 m km" above a green line - that's how long that line is at that zoom level,  which is pretty handy for a rough yardstick.  And SOME of the sensor/fire control/weapon range circles show the radius in km.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10762 on: July 12, 2012, 10:16:08 pm »

Thanks you guys, now I understand the purpose of this "cheat mode"  :P

No, however it is possible for newly created ships to be put straight into a task group containing orders, i keep accidentally sending my shipyard taskgroup off on training then later when i pull the ships out into their own task group the "shipyard taskgroup" ends up having no ships in it, but is still considered to be located at the point in space where i left it, new ships created into that task group then have to haul themself over to that location before they'll respond to my other orders, it can create problems especially when another new ship is created in that group later so the group is split in 2 locations, the group will wait patientlhto the group and combining midway. The solution is rather obvious, Either, don't order your shipyard taskgroup around the galaxy, or ; delete the offending taskgroup after a screwup (you can't delete the taskgroup if you're making ships into it though), or ; keep one ship in that task group so you can move it back to sol, then split all other newly created ships off the task group so it doesn't get locked up waiting to reform.
It's a bit micromanagey, it can be easier to just create your taskgroup and assign all it's orders before all your ships have even been created, the first ships will just wait around for the rest to be built and then they'll all go off and do their thing. It's slightly less efficient though because you could have the first ships doing stuff while waiting (unless the whole group will be built at the same time anyway).
</wall of text rant>
Also in the upper left of the map itself, as you zoom in or out there's a number like "65 m km" above a green line - that's how long that line is at that zoom level,  which is pretty handy for a rough yardstick.  And SOME of the sensor/fire control/weapon range circles show the radius in km.
Thank you Dr strangelove, for some reason this never occurred to me.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:18:48 pm by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

vaaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10763 on: July 13, 2012, 05:10:46 am »

What do you mean exactly? A screencap might help here.

A guess: You cannot build your ships directly from the design screen, and you need to assign your design to a shipyard on your planet, retool the yard for it, then give the build order and wait for a few months to a few years depending on your design, not unlike real-life shipbuilding.

You may also wish to check out those manuals on the official forum.

Yeah, I followed the tutorials and asked the official forums, but they don't know what's wrong. I'll add the screenshots here too. And building the ship is in the economy section and then one of the 2 tabs with shipyard in it? Because I tried, but my class name doesn't show up, neither in the create or retool section.

(how do you add images here?  :o)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10764 on: July 13, 2012, 05:28:03 am »

Code: [Select]
[img]link to the image. Should end with .jpg or something otherwise the image will be broken.[/img]

vaaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10765 on: July 13, 2012, 05:35:40 am »

Even better, I'll post the link to the topic I made on the forum, one of the posts has my screenshots.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10766 on: July 13, 2012, 05:43:58 am »

Do you have a super-assload of other windows and tabs open for other programs?  Does it still do this if Aurora is the 1st and only thing you run after you reboot?  What OS?

vaaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10767 on: July 13, 2012, 05:47:05 am »

Do you have a super-assload of other windows and tabs open for other programs?  Does it still do this if Aurora is the 1st and only thing you run after you reboot?  What OS?

Windows 7 64bit, and it doesn't matter if it's the only one or one of many programs running.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10768 on: July 13, 2012, 06:49:25 am »

Ah that I don't have - all I know about 7 is "don't install it under Program Files".   You could try temporarily turning off various types of acceleration in dxdiag, once in  a great while that helps narrow down display glitches.   And of course you have rebooted at least once since you started to try it right?  That's still the way to get rid of transient spooky stuff, alas.  Other than that I got nothin - good luck...

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #10769 on: July 13, 2012, 07:41:54 am »

Aurora is largely database-driven, and this sounds awfully like some incompatibilities between the program, newer UI libraries of Win7 and/or your local database server process.

Try to copy your installation onto something portable, and try it on some other, preferably older, computers.

Or try an earlier version, and see if that works.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker
Pages: 1 ... 716 717 [718] 719 720 ... 1347