Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 715 716 [717] 718 719 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817206 times)

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #10740 on: July 10, 2012, 02:33:47 pm »

Man, even the tutorials are daunting lol. 

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10741 on: July 10, 2012, 03:00:11 pm »

I managed to get pretty well into it using the same method I did with DF. Grab it, and run really really fast until you get feedback.
Pretty much just look at the button names and the context of window they're in and stuff should be easy to work out.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10742 on: July 10, 2012, 03:13:38 pm »

You need to assign them to the mother ship with either the naval organization window in F12 (fast for a bunch of ships) or individually somewhere in the ship commands (F6), and then use the Recover Parasites button at the bottom of the F12 menu. I think there's also something like a "Land and Assign" order that you could give a task group composed of FACs targeted at a task group with carriers.
Can I have a step by step process of this? It's ridiculously unintuitive.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10743 on: July 10, 2012, 04:07:51 pm »

You need to assign them to the mother ship with either the naval organization window in F12 (fast for a bunch of ships) or individually somewhere in the ship commands (F6), and then use the Recover Parasites button at the bottom of the F12 menu. I think there's also something like a "Land and Assign" order that you could give a task group composed of FACs targeted at a task group with carriers.
IIRC, the simplest way is to open the Fighter Squadrons window from the System View (it is the button near the middle-top that resembles a TIE fighter); then create a squadron; then add the individual fighters to the squadron (you can multiselect them); then assign the squadron to the mothership; then (if the fighters and mothership are in the same location) recover the squadron, which will dock them.

It's actually fairly simple, and you can also use the squadron mechanic to launch and stage attacks.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10744 on: July 10, 2012, 09:12:13 pm »

IIRC, the simplest way is to open the Fighter Squadrons window from the System View (it is the button near the middle-top that resembles a TIE fighter); then create a squadron; then add the individual fighters to the squadron (you can multiselect them); then assign the squadron to the mothership; then (if the fighters and mothership are in the same location) recover the squadron, which will dock them.

It's actually fairly simple, and you can also use the squadron mechanic to launch and stage attacks.
They're not showing up in that screen, probably because they're not fighters. Also, clicking the assign  button doesn't seem to do anything. I can't make efficient fighters this early in the game, so that's not an option either.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10745 on: July 10, 2012, 10:13:22 pm »

I found the most efficient way of assigning non-fighters to a mothership was to make a taskgroup of the ships, then in the task force window select the carrier task group as a target and give them the order "Land on designated mothership + assign" or similar. It will give you the option to select a particular ship.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10746 on: July 11, 2012, 05:41:25 am »

Ah, yes. With FACs, Bremen's bit works well. Though honestly, I don't use them as anything but system defence forces (read: crap to station in-system to keep the civilians from bitching when fleet detachments are deployed). They're too small to absorb much fire, but are much more costly than fighters, given that the only way to make them effective is to deploy them in the dozens. At least against missile-armed opponents that aren't at a severe tech/numbers disadvantage.

3. Run Resize Enable

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10747 on: July 11, 2012, 07:17:03 am »

Ah, yes. With FACs, Bremen's bit works well. Though honestly, I don't use them as anything but system defence forces (read: crap to station in-system to keep the civilians from bitching when fleet detachments are deployed). They're too small to absorb much fire, but are much more costly than fighters, given that the only way to make them effective is to deploy them in the dozens. At least against missile-armed opponents that aren't at a severe tech/numbers disadvantage.
They might have a purpose as semi-disposable and/or long range missile platforms. You don't need to absorb fire if you can outrange and outspeed your enemies, and if do get hit, it's not like they are really all that costly. A bit of light armor if you have decent tech on that area, and you can have each FAC absorbing at least 2 to 3 shots, maybe even a couple more.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #10748 on: July 11, 2012, 07:47:28 am »

Any way to make waiting faster? The game advanced just 6 hours when I press 30 days forward, that's because of NPR fightin right? Can I make this faster somehow?

EDIT: Is there way to mine Jupiter?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 08:30:20 am by Johuotar »
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10749 on: July 11, 2012, 08:35:39 am »

You can't mine any gas giant. If you find a gas giant with sorium what you want to so is build fuel harvesters, ships/staions with fuel harvesting modules and a bunch of fuel tanks for the produced fuel to be stored in. Set the class as a tanker on the design screen in order for the fuel options to show up and use fuel tankers set to unload 90% fuel at colony then refuel at the fuel miner on repeated orders to move the fuel to your colonies stockpile.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10750 on: July 11, 2012, 04:07:38 pm »

They might have a purpose as semi-disposable and/or long range missile platforms. You don't need to absorb fire if you can outrange and outspeed your enemies, and if do get hit, it's not like they are really all that costly. A bit of light armor if you have decent tech on that area, and you can have each FAC absorbing at least 2 to 3 shots, maybe even a couple more.
That's the thing, though; fighters already act as missile platforms, and you can build a dozen fighters with twin box launchers a lot cheaper than, say, 4 FACs with 6 launchers. The main thing is that if you use FACs to any serious degree, you have to pretty much dedicate a shipyard to fulltime production to get them in useful numbers, and their destructability tends to result in high mineral waste. Fighters will by and large survive entering enemy missile range (mainly because they're too small to detect at anything but very short range), are cheaper, and can be produced with (fighter) factories rather than shipyards. If you're going to bother giving FACs enough armor to take multiple hits, as well as the engines and fuel to outrun and outrange actual warships, you're probably better off just going ahead and making them into frigates or corvettes. I've pretty much given up on FACs entirely in favor of frigate battlegroups with dedicated PD and LRAS ships, as they tend to be hefty enough to only lose one or two for each enemy cap ship killed, while still being nearly as cheap to produce as FACs.

The one thing I still occasionally use FACs for is as planet-based SDFs; they're going to get chewed up regardless of what you do, but they can buy time with their deaths. Ironically enough, you can get a pretty good idea of FAC tactics from David Weber's work, and it's pretty much the same thing: either use them as disposable system defence, or mass them in absurd numbers.  :P

But eh, to each their own. Also, be careful to not let the damned officer autoassignment put all your admirals on FACs, as it seems to love putting your most senior officers on the shittiest, oldest ships still on active duty.

3. Run Resize Enable

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10751 on: July 11, 2012, 04:27:52 pm »

Like Flying Dice, I usually use FACs as system pickets. They have the range to cover most of a system from a colony, and unlike fighters can be maintained indefinitely by maintenance facilities (and only need 4 or 5, which means even a small colony can support a large group of FACs).

While they probably wont be able to hold off a fleet on their own, they're particularly useful for chasing down the survey ships the AI loves to send into your systems in suicidal waves.

Waterplouf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10752 on: July 11, 2012, 10:40:55 pm »

hey guys !
I just started playing aurora a few hours ago, while reading the tutorials made by the author of the game. I am actually at the point where I build the commercial stuff, but a point of the game is still confusing me. I don't really understand the purpose of spaceMaster mode. Is it like, cheating when using it ? I've checked a bit the different menus on my own and the spaceMaster mode unlock insta buying quit a lot of stuff. So I was just wondering what exactly is spaceMaster mode ?

EDIT : oh, unfortunately the tutorial I am following seems to be out of date. Does someone know a good tutorial pretty full ? ( I already read a lot about the basics, like creating new ships or reasearch ).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 10:52:59 pm by Waterplouf »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10753 on: July 11, 2012, 11:08:39 pm »

Yeah, Space Master mode is basically "cheats mode". You can use it to set up a campaign a certain way, or correct your foolish mistakes, or sometimes even fix bugs that come up.

If it's the tutorials on the wiki or the rules posts on the forums, I think basically all of it is still relevant to the current version. There will probably be only minor differences in the details for most features.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10754 on: July 11, 2012, 11:17:00 pm »

SM mode exists primarily for these reasons:
1. Fixing mistakes/problems.
2. Allocating starting RP and BP.
3. Creating custom races, setting up scenarios.
4. For someone running a multiplayer 'play-by-post' style game.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 715 716 [717] 718 719 ... 1347