Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 708 709 [710] 711 712 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2816966 times)

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #10635 on: July 04, 2012, 09:16:06 pm »

How do I build a new shipyard? I know how to expand them, but not build them. While we're at it, is it possible to tow shipyards? If so, how?
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10636 on: July 04, 2012, 09:18:22 pm »

- You produce shipyards under the Industry tab, using construction factories.
 - You can tow them with any ship with a tractor beam, I think it is the same as other targets but you need to check some box to see them on the list.  Be careful not to release them when not orbiting a colony, or they will disappear.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 09:20:57 pm by Draxis »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10637 on: July 04, 2012, 09:19:59 pm »

In the constructions tab, just like all other planetary facilities. They're listed as either "Naval Shipyard" or "Commercial Shipyard."

Yes, ships with tractor beams can tow shipyards. I don't remember exactly, but you probably have to set the link through the individual ship view (F6).
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10638 on: July 04, 2012, 09:41:50 pm »

I finally got through the tutorials and I guess I understand the game now, but after the tutorials it's just a big, "What do". Is there any good like far playing LPs on youtube or something that could show how people handle the game after the point of the tutorial, or etc? It's like oh boy, I surveyed a bunch of shit, I made some warpgates, I explored those areas I guess? Now I guess the next point would be ot try to terraform something for mining or make mining ships, or something?

Also what is the point of warpgate construction modules if you can just push the button, build warpgate, and bam, theres a warpgate there.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10639 on: July 04, 2012, 09:45:46 pm »

Also what is the point of warpgate construction modules if you can just push the button, build warpgate, and bam, theres a warpgate there.

Because most people don't play with SM mode on :P
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10640 on: July 04, 2012, 09:47:57 pm »

Well, the only thing you really can do is grow. There's more than one way to do that, but mostly you're going to want to design and build a navy, and for that you need minerals. So start shipping automatic mines and mass drivers to mineral rich worlds, or colonize them if they're suitable. Or maybe just explore a bunch until you find some aliens to conquer.

What? You need to put Jump Gate construction modules on ships in order to build the gates in the first place.

EDIT: Oh right, SM mode.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10641 on: July 04, 2012, 09:49:17 pm »

Because most people don't play with SM mode on :P

So that was SM then, I thought so, but I didn't remember it being on at that exact moment.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10642 on: July 05, 2012, 11:50:51 am »

I finally got through the tutorials and I guess I understand the game now, but after the tutorials it's just a big, "What do". Is there any good like far playing LPs on youtube or something that could show how people handle the game after the point of the tutorial, or etc? It's like oh boy, I surveyed a bunch of shit, I made some warpgates, I explored those areas I guess? Now I guess the next point would be ot try to terraform something for mining or make mining ships, or something?

Aurora is a lot like Dwarf Fortress in that it helps to make your own story. I've described both to friends as more story simulators than actual games.

As far as LPs, there's of course the official AARs by the game's creator; he usually plays with multiple player races and sort of just abstracts competition between them. NATO vs Soviet Union is probably my favorite, but pretty much all of them are good reading.

By far the most impressive LP I've seen would be this game by Blue Emu on the Paradox forums; he ends up running it as a forum game with a large number of posters taking on the roles of characters in the game and having some say in how things progress.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10643 on: July 05, 2012, 12:14:16 pm »

Best bet for a beginner game is to keep exploring until you find an alien race. Then build a navy to defeat said race. Or as the old cliche goes, "See the universe, meet new and exciting people, and kill them."  :P

And like DF, you will restart many, many games for making basic mistakes. The learning curve is hyperbolic.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10644 on: July 05, 2012, 01:17:58 pm »

I agree with Redking.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10645 on: July 05, 2012, 02:08:24 pm »

Reading the LP a bit, it seriously bug and annoy me why people seems to insist in making their geo surveyors military class. That just makes them depend on maintenance, and a surveyor on a system with many bodies will likely be taking a lot of time to do a full scan
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10646 on: July 05, 2012, 02:43:46 pm »

Reading the LP a bit, it seriously bug and annoy me why people seems to insist in making their geo surveyors military class. That just makes them depend on maintenance, and a surveyor on a system with many bodies will likely be taking a lot of time to do a full scan

You can make geosurveyers civilian class?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10647 on: July 05, 2012, 02:48:39 pm »

Yeah. Your engine just needs to be a commercial engine, not a military engine, as well as the other components.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10648 on: July 05, 2012, 02:50:21 pm »

Yeah. Your engine just needs to be a commercial engine, not a military engine, as well as the other components.

Goddamn it. I always thought that the sensors were military or something.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10649 on: July 05, 2012, 02:51:02 pm »

You can make geosurveyers civilian class?

You can. It's the gravitational survey ships that have to be military class, because grav sensors are military class. That said, I usually make the survey ships identical except for the sensors and use military engines on both.

EDIT: Yeah, there were some ninjas.
Pages: 1 ... 708 709 [710] 711 712 ... 1347