Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 704 705 [706] 707 708 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2816806 times)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #10575 on: June 08, 2012, 10:35:37 pm »

How do you capture a homeworld? I realized my allies are using pressurized water reactors and nuclear thermal engines while I run around with internal confinement fusion drives so I think I found a new business opportunity.

Why does this scare me?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10576 on: June 08, 2012, 10:48:05 pm »

Because he basically described Earth's current tech level, and we're all about to be invaded by the armies of Space!Jacob/Lee?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10577 on: June 08, 2012, 10:51:04 pm »

Because he basically described Earth's current tech level, and we're all about to be invaded by the armies of Space!Jacob/Lee?
Damn, I had hoped to get the drop on- I mean... Nope, you're totally wrong! *nervous laugh* You're first

How do you capture a homeworld? I realized my allies are using pressurized water reactors and nuclear thermal engines while I run around with internal confinement fusion drives so I think I found a new business opportunity.

Why does this scare me?
Seems fairly normal for a Bay12 post, I think at least.

Anyway, my business opportunity has made my job far easier. Someone (most likely those damned Invaders) came and bombarded their homeworld to dust as well as blew up probably the rest of their fleet. One massive battlefleet was a few jumps away a few years previous and got blown to bits by the Invaders, which I salvaged and took apart for money. When I jumped back in to try and get a glimpse of what the world's signatures were to determine if it was their homeworld or not and I found a graveyard. I had a "colony" on there with an espionage team working to try and learn something. I was wondering why I suddenly stopped getting information. The team's still alive, somehow...

The planet had a dust level of 1500 and radiation level of 900. Still, I SM'd the jump gate back up and my civilians poured in to populate the world (which still has a 0.00 colony cost despite the bombardment (if you couldn't tell by now it was their homeworld)) and I sent in the salvage fleet to get what resources we could out of the wrecks. My allies are pretty much gone for good now. A sad fate for a race that truly deserved it. They had base-level TN tech all across the board despite being the NPR generated at start -- 27 years ago.

The only thing that makes me sad is that I didn't get to come and put them down myself. I wanted to enslave the population and make them work the mines I would place in that system and neighboring ones to feed my ever-growing empire.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10578 on: June 08, 2012, 11:00:28 pm »

My typical method is to use orbital strikes to get their ground forces to a level mine can deal with, then invade. Typically, they either surrender at about the point where they run out of ground forces from my bombardment, or I roll over whatever they have left. This is the ideal if you're trying to take everything >mostly< intact, as it'll leave most of their installations and population alone; if you don't care about population, you can drop high-rad bombs on them for a few months and wait for them to all die/surrender, then ship their structures and minerals off to your colonies and drop a few automines off.

If you're asking about the physical mechanics of invading, make a transport with drop pods and troop bays, load troops into the bays, take it to a (secured) system with an enemy world, transfer the troops to the pods, and combat drop them on the planet. Once they have boots on the ground, it'll automatically create a colony for you on the planet. Go into that colony's GU tab and you'll be able to attack their ground forces through the normal dropdown bar.

But basically, once they take enough damage to their population and troops on a world, they'll surrender, turning it into the lowest sort of territory. Over time it'll eventually become a normal imperial world and take production levels back to normal. On surrender, you get all of their tech that is better than yours, everything on the world, any shipyards orbiting it, and some of their ships will surrender to you. Note that other colonies of theirs and some ships may not surrender.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10579 on: June 09, 2012, 09:51:43 pm »

I just started playing this game and some menus give me the error 76. It gives the error about flags in the Galactic Map menu but it doesn't crash. It crashes in System Information. It gives this error whenever I open a menu that has images in it but only crashes in System Information I think. I looked over my Aurora folder but there is no flags folder in it. Hell, there isn't any folder in there at all. Just a bunch of .bmps among the game exe and other things. I tried reinstalling twice.

I looked around the game a bit, and... well.

People who call DF difficult should see this...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 09:54:59 pm by Leatra »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10580 on: June 09, 2012, 10:33:33 pm »

That AuroraUpdate*number* .zip? Extract that to the Aurora folder.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10581 on: June 10, 2012, 02:14:37 am »

AuroraUpdate554.zip for the latest version.

And yeah, the first zip comes with an installer, then another zip according to the third step in the installation post. Although I haven't fully installed since version 4.9, I assume it's important to do all the steps.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10582 on: June 10, 2012, 02:20:21 am »

AuroraUpdate554.zip for the latest version.

And yeah, the first zip comes with an installer, then another zip according to the third step in the installation post. Although I haven't fully installed since version 4.9, I assume it's important to do all the steps.
AuroraUpdate554 contains all the flags, system body pictures, race icons etc. and the game will spit out an error trying to call on pictures that don't exist when you do things like open the system body menu. It's pretty important.

Also, I <3 supply/demand orders for the civilians. Moving 200 automines, 50 mines and 3 mass drivers has never been so easy.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10583 on: June 10, 2012, 10:58:49 am »

Oh, I'm a huge derp.

Thanks. It's fixed now.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10584 on: June 10, 2012, 02:21:48 pm »

I'm by no means an 'instant action' fan - but should it really take 15 seconds or so to process a click of the 30 day turn button?

The other buttons don't move research or building far enough along, and there's not a great deal to do besides early on.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10585 on: June 10, 2012, 02:25:52 pm »

I'm by no means an 'instant action' fan - but should it really take 15 seconds or so to process a click of the 30 day turn button?

The other buttons don't move research or building far enough along, and there's not a great deal to do besides early on.
Yea, I have a lot of problems with it too. It's pretty much the only thing I dislike about the game, but it's pretty major-Hopefully aurora 2 will fix this as it'll be real time.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10586 on: June 10, 2012, 02:28:51 pm »

With all the micromanagement I imagine trying to play a game like this in real time would just about wreck your computer or wreck your brain stem.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10587 on: June 10, 2012, 02:42:10 pm »

I dunno, I look at it as if it was a board game. a turn of Risk or Chess take way more than 15 second to run.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dead Pool

• Bay Watcher
  • BOO-YAA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10588 on: June 10, 2012, 02:43:10 pm »

This game has many bugs period
Deadpool is comin' for ya.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10589 on: June 10, 2012, 02:45:02 pm »

They're unexpected features, not bugs. Unless you're talking about it messing with your menu icons I guess.
Besides that, it seems pretty bug clean to me. Including things that would be classed as unexpected features.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 704 705 [706] 707 708 ... 1347