Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 697 698 [699] 700 701 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815870 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #10470 on: June 03, 2012, 09:39:29 pm »

Pretty much nobody knows all the ins and outs of this game, I'm skeptical as to whether or not Steve even knows all of the things hes put in there.
He fairly doesn't.  Pay attention to a lot of his posts when he's answering questions.  Things like "Will civilians build troop transports" will be answered with "probably."

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10471 on: June 04, 2012, 12:47:42 am »

Yeah i have noticed a few posts where steve has answered a question with basically "Yeah i think so, but i don't remember if i put that feature in yet"
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10472 on: June 04, 2012, 01:01:00 am »

S'hard to blame the guy, given the sort of complexity inherent in the game and how long he has been going at it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10473 on: June 04, 2012, 02:27:43 am »

And the fact that, unlike Toady, it's really just an hobby to him, not something he does 24/7 and spend his whole life in.

Now, what I really want is to break into Steve's home, and somehow upload a knowledge of C++ in him while he sleeps. Why does this thing has to be coded in BASIC of all things?!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10474 on: June 04, 2012, 03:31:59 am »

C++ / VB, what would be a difference, code is not open so it really doesnt matter to the final audience. The only problem steve has with his game right now is all data operations are using database file instead of loading in memory.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10475 on: June 04, 2012, 03:35:47 am »

Which is, methink, a limitation of VB.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #10476 on: June 04, 2012, 04:10:29 am »

Which is, methink, a limitation of VB.

I think it's mostly because keeping a structure of that kind in memory is quite hard (I know, I tried) because you have the system, the ship, the view of te system as each player last saw it, the planet and colony status, the planet and colonies and minerals as the player lastly saw them, the partial knowledge of each ship design as each player last saw it and so on.

keeping and updating all those partial, per player informations is a mess.

also, it means that even if the app crashes, the operation the user did is on the database or nothing, so you don't risk save corruptions.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #10477 on: June 04, 2012, 06:18:02 am »

And the fact that, unlike Toady, it's really just an hobby to him, not something he does 24/7 and spend his whole life in.

Now, what I really want is to break into Steve's home, and somehow upload a knowledge of C++ in him while he sleeps. Why does this thing has to be coded in BASIC of all things?!
Well, according to Steve, he knows C++ and used to have a job as a programmer, but it killed his love programming. As he quit that job, he started to dabble in VB again, and found certain features gave him very imminent feedback and signs of progress which got him into programming for fun again.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10478 on: June 04, 2012, 06:24:25 am »

Uh, okay, didn't know that.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10479 on: June 04, 2012, 08:01:45 am »

I thought Aurora 2 was being coded in a less savage language?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10480 on: June 04, 2012, 09:56:10 am »

C#, I believe. It's worth noting though that Steve isn't currently working on Aurora II and I don't believe he has any short term plans to start work on it. It's just an idea at this point.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10481 on: June 04, 2012, 10:23:00 am »

How could Aurora conceivably have a sequel? Or would it be a sequel in the sense that Slaves to Arm_Ok: God of Blood II is a successor to StA:I?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10482 on: June 04, 2012, 10:38:35 am »

It is intended to be a sequel in the sense of a rewrite of the game in a more permissive language, to get around many of the limitations vb6 imposes.

THere has been a little story progression over the course of aurora with the introduction of the precursors, then the starswarm and then the invaders who wiped out the precursors. If there was any progression to aurora 2, I'd expect it to be more along those lines.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 10:40:48 am by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10483 on: June 04, 2012, 11:16:46 am »

Aurora 2 is more in the theme of "the game engine has been upgraded in such significant ways that it can't be considered a patch".

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10484 on: June 04, 2012, 11:35:46 am »

Yeah. A better engine/language is nearly always better.
And i'm going to bet that C++ is better then VB because i never heard anything about VB (visual basic, i know, you dont have to tell me) so VB is probably acient.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 697 698 [699] 700 701 ... 1347