Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 692 693 [694] 695 696 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815713 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #10395 on: May 22, 2012, 10:58:58 am »

That should be able to get through a jump gate. Are there actually jump gates on the points as there should be, i.e. are they named something like "Sol Jump Point #1 (JG)"? Can you see the Jump Gates in the system view?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #10396 on: May 22, 2012, 11:17:26 am »

Is it normal to spend the first few years with no ships and just researching constantly?
Yes. Your tech in the starting game is pitiful at best. You can try to build ships that early, but it won't give much return before you've got better tech.
However you can use your Fast OB Creation points to create a small defense fleet(Not as if it's useful at this point, but you may want to train your officers, and have an experienced crew to refit with), a big or a few smaller PDC, a small surveyor fleet, and a few logistic ships, provided you're not doing a conventional start.

Also, engine tech is important. Starting ships with ion engines remain useful much longer than those with nuclear pulse ones, and goes to places 50% faster at the same HS percentage.

He uploaded himself into your research computers to assist in all future research projects.
I cannot live without research! upload me into the computer!

*cue glados*

he managed to last for about 75 years before dying, though.

Had a +40% 25 labs propulsion expert in my last game, and she was killed in an accident after getting me all the way from ion engine tech to halfway beyond internal confinement fusion in some 15 years.

Good things never last. :-\

I started with the jump gates on all jump points option enabled, and my ship can't transit through either method.
Here's the ship.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Does it just need to be bigger, or what?

Check your message log, and make sure to use the right option for transiting gates. I don't see any problem w/your design. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 11:25:30 am by JWNoctis »
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10397 on: May 22, 2012, 11:54:21 am »

Fun Fact: If you go into the officer window, you can promote a scientist.  They get +5 lab cap per promotion.  I always take my high percentage science and promote them so they can commandeer ALL the labs.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10398 on: May 22, 2012, 11:57:59 am »

Fun Fact: If you go into the officer window, you can promote a scientist.  They get +5 lab cap per promotion.  I always take my high percentage science and promote them so they can commandeer ALL the labs.
I never have enough labs anyway.
Too many things to research!
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10399 on: May 22, 2012, 12:01:39 pm »

Well, evidently it didn't put the jump gates on despite me choosing the option. Well, just gonna build jump gates then, because I don't feel like making jump ships just to explore systems one move away. I'll build jump ships when my drive technology isn't absolutely horrendous to not waste resources and time.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10400 on: May 22, 2012, 12:22:30 pm »

If the option is checked after you created the world it will put jump gates on all newly discovered system's jump points.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10401 on: May 22, 2012, 02:58:45 pm »

and I'm only just told this now.

why?
Because you're playing Aurora. Nobody knows what features lie in the depths of its coding. NOBODY.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #10402 on: May 22, 2012, 03:44:12 pm »

ow, there is always some windows that does something umpredictable and obscure in this game....

I was, like, at the sixth or so empire that I found how to save position of planets on the system view  ::)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10403 on: May 22, 2012, 06:39:20 pm »

Wait, what? You can change the positions of planets in System View?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #10404 on: May 22, 2012, 07:05:33 pm »

Well, disabling orbital motion for planets would technically save their position.

But I'm sure he meant something else.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 07:07:15 pm by JWNoctis »
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10405 on: May 22, 2012, 07:29:14 pm »

Likely the system positions in the galactic map.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10406 on: May 22, 2012, 08:35:10 pm »

I really don't think so, considering he made both mentions to System View and planets, but none to systems, stars, or the Galactic Map.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10407 on: May 24, 2012, 04:56:41 am »

This game needs a tutorial.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10408 on: May 24, 2012, 05:02:20 am »

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10409 on: May 24, 2012, 05:06:39 am »

HUZZAH.

Last time I checked, it didn't. :P
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: 1 ... 692 693 [694] 695 696 ... 1347