Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 683 684 [685] 686 687 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815043 times)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #10260 on: April 15, 2012, 10:44:13 pm »

Looking very nice when combined with revisiting crew requirements. One thing I'm worried about is defence platforms used for something other than defending populated colonies, as without any sort of system of automation, this would basically prevent the use of OWPs for automine colonies, JP defense, and so on.

Indeed, I've already posted the question of how this will effect PDC's and bases over on the aurora forum, hopefully Steve will implement being able to rotate crew via a passenger liner or something similar.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10261 on: April 16, 2012, 12:21:10 am »

This upcoming release is starting to look more like a 6.0 than a 5.7, considering most of the releases in the last couple of years have been bugfixes or minor features only.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10262 on: April 16, 2012, 12:39:03 am »

Looking very nice when combined with revisiting crew requirements. One thing I'm worried about is defence platforms used for something other than defending populated colonies, as without any sort of system of automation, this would basically prevent the use of OWPs for automine colonies, JP defense, and so on.

Indeed, I've already posted the question of how this will effect PDC's and bases over on the aurora forum, hopefully Steve will implement being able to rotate crew via a passenger liner or something similar.

The answer is simple: Have the bases deployed by carriers and towed by tug vessels, so that the defense platforms rotate in and out of the system!  Under the current system, the PDC's could just be disassembled and reassembled every couple of months.

But yeah, either crew replenishment should be possible with custom crew transports, or PDCs should be excluded (and have crew replenishment be assumed to occur off-screen).  Personally, I'd like to see crew transport, so my long-haul scouts don't have to travel all the way back to my homeworld.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10263 on: April 16, 2012, 01:19:15 am »

Would be nice if you had the option to put the crew "on ice" (cyro) until needed and then while the shields warm up, do the same to them.

~The defense station started to brim with light, shields lauching, targeting systems seeking, radars pin pointing the movement that had awoken its crew... for two years the station was dormant, with only a dozen man at a time to man the basic needs, but now all weapon stations are being manned, the repair crew rapidly fixes the smaller damages done by its sleep...

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #10264 on: April 16, 2012, 04:40:23 am »

Perhaps using some temporary orbital habitat around worlds with long deployment time fleets (terraforming & mining ships) can offset the problems of crew morale...
Won't work for havesters however, as the gas giants can not be set as a colony. (unless there's a change in mechanics and the mere presence of an OH in the same location is enough to simulate any "Pete's booze'n'wenches space bar")

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10265 on: April 16, 2012, 05:08:45 am »

The OH is Pete's Booze'n'Wenches Space Bar. Presumably it has a cryogenic hold for the bartenders and wenches. Just park it at a nearby asteroid and thaw 'em out and park the fleet.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10266 on: April 16, 2012, 05:25:29 am »

A "R&R Station" with an OH and 50,000 cryo pod sound good to me. :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10267 on: April 16, 2012, 07:48:30 am »

Would be nice if we could spend tonnage on a 'recreation' system which would increase effective deployment times and reduce morale penalties. Good addition for large deep space stations or defense platforms

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #10268 on: April 16, 2012, 08:12:55 am »

The OH is Pete's Booze'n'Wenches Space Bar. Presumably it has a cryogenic hold for the bartenders and wenches. Just park it at a nearby asteroid and thaw 'em out and park the fleet.

Yes, this was my idea, but I noted some issues...
OH, like ship-based maintenance devices, are only functional around a colony world - which exclude gas giant and deep space...
Steve said that maintenance ships should be able to work in deep space and is planning a fix, maybe the OH could be also fixed...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10269 on: April 16, 2012, 08:57:59 am »

Yes, this was my idea, but I noted some issues...
OH, like ship-based maintenance devices, are only functional around a colony world - which exclude gas giant and deep space...
Steve said that maintenance ships should be able to work in deep space and is planning a fix, maybe the OH could be also fixed...
That 'fix' would be much bigger. He said that decoupling colonies from orbital bodies to allow deep space habitats or even gas giant habitats would take a rewrite of the whole colony code.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10270 on: April 16, 2012, 09:03:56 am »

But adding in a "fake colony" where an OH is away from a body, would be comparatively easier.

Granted, I support the rewrite, it sounds like something that should be done eventually anyways, but for the short term it shouldn't be nearly as difficult to add a few checks.  "If(cargo.colonists>=1,000 && has_component.OH) -> Crew shore leave enabled"

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #10271 on: April 16, 2012, 09:51:25 am »

So how do I make ship I designed appear in the construction menu? Locking the design didnt seem to do it.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10272 on: April 16, 2012, 09:54:58 am »

The shipyard in question (I assume you meant that you went to the shipyard tab) needs to be:
  • of the right kind (only military shipyards can build military ships; I believe that military shipyards can build civilian ships but they are usually smaller and more expensive so no one really does this
  • sufficiently big to build the design

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10273 on: April 16, 2012, 09:56:42 am »

In addition the shipyard needs to be tooled to the design, for it to be available for construction.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10274 on: April 16, 2012, 10:43:56 am »

But adding in a "fake colony" where an OH is away from a body, would be comparatively easier.

Granted, I support the rewrite, it sounds like something that should be done eventually anyways, but for the short term it shouldn't be nearly as difficult to add a few checks.  "If(cargo.colonists>=1,000 && has_component.OH) -> Crew shore leave enabled"
That relies on the shore leave code being attached to the ship, which would lead to a bunch of wasted processing every 5 days when it goes through every ship, checks if they are at a planet and if they are then checks to make sure the population is above the threshold, and if it is then does the shore leave time thing. It makes a lot more sense to me for it to be attached to the colony, so each 5 days only every colony has to check whether it has the required population, then go through all the ships at the planet and reduce their away time. Since there are a lot less colonies (especially with >10k or whatever it was population) than there are ships, it should be a lot more efficient to do it that way. And you can't just "add a fake colony", since I would guess that they all have a body assigned to them, and just having one floating around would cause problems in every window that lists colonies, as well as during 5 day calculations, since there's quite a bit of stuff done (terraforming, population capacity stuff) that depends on the conditions on the body that it's attached to. I suppose you could also add a fake body there, but then we're getting into the realms of hacky fixes, and it would probably end up being easier to just rewrite the whole thing instead of make a bunch of workarounds at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 683 684 [685] 686 687 ... 1347