Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 679 680 [681] 682 683 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815068 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #10200 on: April 05, 2012, 03:29:52 pm »

The good news is that ships only burn fuel while they move or while shields are on (not sure on shield fuel usage).  So, your monster ship would only ever travel from jump point to jump point.  I'm not sure ships building jump gates are stationary, that would factor into whether the ship itself builds jumpgates or whether some other ship does so.  But fuel can be harvested with carry-along ships.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10201 on: April 05, 2012, 03:58:07 pm »

Ships are stationary when building jump gates, and use no fuel. I speak from experience, having fleets of constructors moving from system to system for several years in between fuel stops.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10202 on: April 05, 2012, 07:00:23 pm »

Well, then the monster ship should feature jump gate production capability.  Although, if we're talking a large lumbering ship, it might take so long to get to most jump points that a carried ship can build the jump gate in the meantime.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10203 on: April 05, 2012, 07:43:22 pm »

I have a question regarding player's engine habits. I typically build a first-gen series of ships using the low tech crappy engines. While these work, and allow me to start exploring, I never seem to get around to upgrading them once I get better engine tech unless they all get destroyed somehow.

Do you guys tend to build up engine technology before launching your first ships, or upgrade them later? What I'm thinking is, since research doesn't seem to have any costs other than time, you could wait until your engines are at least ion or so before designing, and not lose any minerals. The faster ships would get things done much more quickly, and chances are you'd have some other improved techs as well.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10204 on: April 05, 2012, 07:45:10 pm »

I tend to RP a bit while I play, so after a 10 year 'tour' most ships come in for refits and overhauls and part of that is updating their tech.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10205 on: April 05, 2012, 08:47:32 pm »

I tend to base research decisions on the available starting scientists.  If I got a propulsion scientist, I'll usually wait until I have nuclear engines at least.  Otherwise, I'll go and make some basic engines, and hope to get a propulsion scientist soon.

That said, when I play with RPs, I tend to dump them into engine and jump tech almost exclusively.  I like to explore asap.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10206 on: April 06, 2012, 03:45:23 am »

These are missiles that are larger than some manned spacecraft. Case closed.

I agree 100% :3
Whats a better way to not miss then to make the bullets ridicously huge so they just CANT miss?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10207 on: April 06, 2012, 07:06:49 am »

I've been playing the 'if you don't have a scientist in that specialization, you don't get to research it' game recently, so I've had great fun surveying and colonising the sol system with conventional engines.

On another note Steve has said that he is aiming for the release of 5.70 sometime over easter weekend.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10208 on: April 06, 2012, 07:44:31 am »

I have a question regarding player's engine habits. I typically build a first-gen series of ships using the low tech crappy engines. While these work, and allow me to start exploring, I never seem to get around to upgrading them once I get better engine tech unless they all get destroyed somehow.

Do you guys tend to build up engine technology before launching your first ships, or upgrade them later? What I'm thinking is, since research doesn't seem to have any costs other than time, you could wait until your engines are at least ion or so before designing, and not lose any minerals. The faster ships would get things done much more quickly, and chances are you'd have some other improved techs as well.

Since engine upgrades typically have a higher than 50% refit cost, I pretty much never refit for new engines. I'll use the old ships in a reserve capcity for a while, then eventually scrap them. I typically try to hit ion engines before doing anything more advanced than a geosurvey boat. If I'm playing from a conventional start, I'll get to at least Nuclear Pulse before doing shipbuilding. Nuclear Therm is just painful slow and Conventional is LOLno.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10209 on: April 06, 2012, 08:50:41 am »

Since engine upgrades typically have a higher than 50% refit cost, I pretty much never refit for new engines. I'll use the old ships in a reserve capcity for a while, then eventually scrap them. I typically try to hit ion engines before doing anything more advanced than a geosurvey boat. If I'm playing from a conventional start, I'll get to at least Nuclear Pulse before doing shipbuilding. Nuclear Therm is just painful slow and Conventional is LOLno.

Ok, I think this is something I've failed to understand for a while, and one of you guys can probably explain. Even if the refit cost is 60%, it's still faster and cheaper than building a completely new ship, right? So what's the advantage gained in building new ships from scratch and scrapping the old ones?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10210 on: April 06, 2012, 09:18:24 am »

The primary advantage is that you now have two ships, your new one for real duties and the older one for system defense/secondry duties. It is also that if you are simply refiting all the time then during that period you have a reduced number of ships available.

That said, I still tend to go for the refitting of older ships once I've new built enough ships to cover them while they are refitting as that retains their taskforce training and crew grade as long as there is not a massive difference in crew size to the new design.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10211 on: April 06, 2012, 07:11:02 pm »

I will typically wait a generation to refit. So I've got a line of missile destroyers. I have a number of Mk. IIs, design the Mk. III, start building those. A bit later, I design the Mk. IV. If the refit from Mk. II to Mk. IV is <100% construction costs, I refit. Otherwise, I relegate them to system defense.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Canuhearmenow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10212 on: April 08, 2012, 09:31:25 pm »

This is fantastic, I did a detailed scan of every system I have discovered, checking the orbital distance of every planet and [closest to it's planet] moon, found plenty of 10-30k orbital distances, and one 2.2k, but no 0.0k, and I'm still getting the division by zero orbital error every 5 days.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10213 on: April 08, 2012, 09:33:14 pm »

Hmm...

Do you have any NPRs? Maybe they found the bugged system?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Canuhearmenow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10214 on: April 08, 2012, 09:37:54 pm »

Hmm...

Do you have any NPRs? Maybe they found the bugged system?

I set it to 0 NPRs but a high level of gen if I find a natural 0.0 col cost world, but oddly enough I do have the The Swarm and Precursors. Even stranger, sometime in 2040 I got a VERY long view of a battle in a system between god knows what (14 wrecks with life pods) even though I never sent a ship into the system. So essentially the computer auto-discovered the system (didn't even have Jump Points) just to show me a battle between someone on a col cost 0.0 world, and someone else.

So the short answer, yes, I think I have NPRs.
Pages: 1 ... 679 680 [681] 682 683 ... 1347