Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 671 672 [673] 674 675 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815623 times)

Canuhearmenow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #10080 on: March 26, 2012, 08:21:26 pm »

Main concern now is how to lower the temperature of a planet if it's near uninhabitable (a 35 C world without an atmo.) Should I just do the standard .2 oxygen/.75 nitrogen with a .05 anti-greenhouse gas? Or maybe pump in .05 Water?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10081 on: March 26, 2012, 08:26:33 pm »

In reality water vapour is a very strong greenhouse gas, i don't know what aurora uses it for but it shouldn't make your planet cooler.(though clouds do actually reflect light into space causing cooling, so water confuses me greatly)
I'm pretty sure theres a maximum amount you can cool a planet down with gases, lower amos pressure is helpful..
Surface Temperature in Kelvin = Base Temperature in Kelvin x Greenhouse Factor x Albedo Greenhouse Factor = 1 + (Atmospheric Pressure /10) + Greenhouse Pressure (Maximum = 3.0)
so er, if you can get greenhouse pressure to 0 then atmospheric pressure of .5 would raise your temperature to 40 degrees.
Terrible maths over there. I'm guessing you'll be safe with what you suggested.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 08:37:59 pm by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10082 on: March 26, 2012, 10:02:21 pm »

Main concern now is how to lower the temperature of a planet if it's near uninhabitable (a 35 C world without an atmo.) Should I just do the standard .2 oxygen/.75 nitrogen with a .05 anti-greenhouse gas? Or maybe pump in .05 Water?

Water vapor might be a greenhouse gas in the game, I'm not too sure. Really, even though you get a lot of options, the only gasses you should ever use are oxygen (or methane if you're some kind of filthy xeno) for breathing, nitrogen for inert pressure, and safe (anti)greenhouse gas for changing the temperature. Everything else is either redundant in those roles or toxic.

EDIT: I generally use CO2 for warming actually, but there are those instances where the planet you want to warm up is so cold that the gas is actually solid, so adding it to the atmosphere doesn't change anything. Safe greenhouse gas, however, doesn't have that problem.

EDIt 2: So, uh, to actually answer your question directly, yes that amount of anti greenhouse gas should give you an acceptable temperature, however, you only need .1 atm of oxygen and .19 atm of nitrogen to make it habitable for humans. Of course, you can add more atmosphere to make it more earth-like if you want, but the only reason to do that would be roleplay, since there's no in-game difference.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 10:13:19 pm by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10083 on: March 26, 2012, 11:17:08 pm »

EDIT: I generally use CO2 for warming actually, but there are those instances where the planet you want to warm up is so cold that the gas is actually solid, so adding it to the atmosphere doesn't change anything. Safe greenhouse gas, however, doesn't have that problem.
Wait, what? How cold are your planets anyway? I didn't notice CO2 having no effect when terraforming Callisto.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10084 on: March 26, 2012, 11:45:59 pm »

Wait, what? How cold are your planets anyway? I didn't notice CO2 having no effect when terraforming Callisto.

Well, the phase diagram says it should be solid at Callisto's temp, so I guess the game isn't modeling it properly. I am sure that I've seen it frozen on planets before though.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10085 on: March 26, 2012, 11:59:53 pm »

...Absolutely must start playing this again!
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10086 on: March 27, 2012, 12:00:39 am »

When's the last time Aurora was updated, anyway? I haven't played it in around a year.
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10087 on: March 27, 2012, 12:01:50 am »

December 27, 2011: Update 5.60.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10088 on: March 27, 2012, 12:03:37 am »

Ooohhh... So it HAS been updated since I last played. Sweet!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10089 on: March 27, 2012, 12:06:33 am »

Also, in case you haven't noticed, Steve has also started on two more projects: Aurora II, and Newtonian Aurora.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10090 on: March 27, 2012, 12:37:33 am »

Also, in case you haven't noticed, Steve has also started on two more projects: Aurora II, and Newtonian Aurora.

I guess they are so different he can't make them one game?

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10091 on: March 27, 2012, 12:44:51 am »

Newtonian is making Aurora more realistic. Aurora 2 is making Aurora not use a really outdated programming language, and may include elements from newtonian if they turn out well.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10092 on: March 27, 2012, 03:44:09 am »

Here's a question for expert terraformers: Does the below planet have any hope of getting significantly warmer?  I can only get it to colony cost 11.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10093 on: March 27, 2012, 03:46:56 am »

>Base Kelvin temperature 8.33.

Nope. It's going to be cold forever and ever.

The hottest you'll ever be able to get it is -243.6618 degrees Celsius.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10094 on: March 27, 2012, 04:27:59 am »

Yup, that's what I thought.
Pages: 1 ... 671 672 [673] 674 675 ... 1347