Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 665 666 [667] 668 669 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815856 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9990 on: February 28, 2012, 11:23:02 pm »

So, My Mars Colony has Roughly a million people.
And i'm having a bit of trouble managing Construction.
I have imported 5 mines and 6 Construction factories from earth.
However, I have 2 Terraforming installations, 100 mines, and 1 construction factory lined up for production.
The Construction factory is to be finished in 7 years, And the other Two in about 30.
How should i go about speeding these up?

Do I not need that many mines?
More construction factories. Each one only employs about 50,000 workers, if memory serves. Mines are purely for extracting minerals. Terraforming installations are major undertakings. For 1 mil people, you should probably have about 50-100 construction factories in place. Only worry about the mines if Mars has significant mineral deposits.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9991 on: February 28, 2012, 11:25:45 pm »

Okay, Automate Mines it is then... Thanks a lot for feedback. ;)

Keep in mind that the cost of 1 automated mine is the same as the cost of 2 asteroid miners.  Also it helps to give an asteroid miner enough cargo space to fit a mass driver.  That's what I do, anyway.
Is that including hull, drive, etc?

No, but if you build automated miners you'd need cargo ships to move them from place to place anyway.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9992 on: February 28, 2012, 11:40:20 pm »

So, My Mars Colony has Roughly a million people.
And i'm having a bit of trouble managing Construction.
I have imported 5 mines and 6 Construction factories from earth.
However, I have 2 Terraforming installations, 100 mines, and 1 construction factory lined up for production.
The Construction factory is to be finished in 7 years, And the other Two in about 30.
How should i go about speeding these up?

Do I not need that many mines?

It looks like you are spliting the already miniscule production ability of the colony among three projects, as such I'm really not surprised at how long the projected completion dates are. Ship more construction factories there, at least 50-100, if you are going to be engaging in any serious production. You may well be better off leaving all of your construction factories on earth for the moment and just shipping the completed facilities to mars once they are constructed.

Okay, Automate Mines it is then... Thanks a lot for feedback. ;)

Keep in mind that the cost of 1 automated mine is the same as the cost of 2 asteroid miners.  Also it helps to give an asteroid miner enough cargo space to fit a mass driver.  That's what I do, anyway.
Is that including hull, drive, etc?

No, but if you build automated miners you'd need cargo ships to move them from place to place anyway.

Also note that, particularly if you use stations that are tractored into position, vessels with a large number of mining modules have a fairly low percentage of their total cost being due to the hull/additional components, making them significantly cheaper than ground based installations.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #9993 on: February 29, 2012, 07:07:45 am »

Mining modules are not allowed on PDC's IIRC... or are they?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9994 on: March 01, 2012, 06:23:25 pm »

Mining modules are not allowed on PDC's IIRC... or are they?

Yes no mining modules on a PDC. The two 'facility modules' that can be placed on PDC's are terraforming modules and maintainance modules.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9995 on: March 04, 2012, 08:28:11 am »

Do asteroid miners function while in orbit of a planet instead of an asteroid? And how does their annual production compare to that of mines/automated mines?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9996 on: March 04, 2012, 09:15:58 am »

They only mine asteroids and comets.

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9997 on: March 04, 2012, 11:49:03 am »

How effective are Deep Space Tracking Stations? What would be a good size for number of installations?
Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9998 on: March 04, 2012, 12:28:51 pm »

How effective are Deep Space Tracking Stations? What would be a good size for number of installations?

Depends on what tech level you have researched the tracking station sensitivity to, and the size of the system you are covering. Ten stations on Earth + a couple of levels of research gives good coverage of all of the Sol system for example.

As for effectivness, the same as ship mounted passive sensors of the same strength. Once you have good coverage via tracking stations, you can do away with the need to mount passive sensors on your defence vessels saving some space.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9999 on: March 04, 2012, 04:44:31 pm »

Heh, I remember in an old game, I set earth to build an absolutely ridiculous number of stations. Ended up with several thousand, I would have been able to detect a missile out beyond pluto with them... until they started giving me overflow errors for being too damn sensitive :P
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10000 on: March 04, 2012, 07:34:50 pm »

Heh, I remember in an old game, I set earth to build an absolutely ridiculous number of stations. Ended up with several thousand, I would have been able to detect a missile out beyond pluto with them... until they started giving me overflow errors for being too damn sensitive :P

Reading the PINs on your bank card from across the galaxy.

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10001 on: March 08, 2012, 02:16:27 pm »

The year is 2193. A race who I not-so-fondly refer to as "Zerglings" appear, as if out of nowhere. Diplomatic negotiations were short, as a few thermonuclear missiles my way showed, and like an avalanche they crashed into me: waves upon waves of ships bearing down, lasers sawing my ships in two, missiles annihilating my battleships, turning them into fiery wrecks as their oxygen supplies rushed out.

I am forced back, my sprawling empire slowly engulfed by this crushing stampede. My expeditionary force destroyed, the colonials fared no better, and one by one my systems fell, planets going dark as their surfaces were glassed under alien bombardment. My counter-attack was ineffective, the 2nd and 3rd fleets wiped out to the man as they tried to halt the onslaught. It quickly became apparent that we were to be wiped out, our history snuffed in the blink of an eye. Unless we protected Sol.

Our colonies were abandoned, colony ships swarming down through the skies to evacuate those we could, but it's not enough - the Zerglings are always on our tail, pushing forwards, systematically picking off the outlying colonies.. The Colonial fleets pull back, and all that is left is for the ground forces of each colony to deliver them one final slice of hell. One final charge, one final cry of defiance.

Five Carriers, twenty-four Battleships, twenty-two Dreadnoughts, fourty-three Battlecruisers, sixty-six Destroyers and forty Frigates. Alongside the PDCs and swarms of fighters, this was the last force of humanity. The last ring of steel between them and our homeworld. Already I was planning.

They came, jumping into the system with their lasers blazing, missiles launched in a horrifying chorus. We fought back, cutting their missiles down as we responded in kind. Our carriers deployed their fighters, Kunai-class. Named for their deadly precision and deadlier payload. In one fell swoop they take down a handful of the larger ships, but like flies, we were only swatting at a fragment of the horde. They continued to jump in, wave upon wave, terrible as the ocean. And every time we pushed them back. Every we staved them off, and slowly we began to breathe. Now we could begin.

We wanted them to pay, I wanted them to pay, and knowing we could hold off their attack, knowing we were like the Germans at the Somme two-hundred years past, unmoving, we started designing. Missile launchers of every size, from the small AA launchers to fifty-ton behemoths that could blow up a small country. Lasers, meson cannons, affixed to tri and quad-barrelled turrets, tiny pods brimmed to the teeth and thirsting for blood. Armour plating as thick as a house, maybe two. We didn't care. We didn't care about the money, we didn't care about the resource cost. We gave it a dozen hangars for fighters to berth, affixed every square inch with weaponry. It would move slow, but we didn't care. We even wanted it that way - we wanted the Zerglings to know, to fear them. To throw how many ships they wanted at it and be as much as an ant upon the skin. Three-hundred-thousand tons of pure destruction. They were too tame to be called Battleships, too cliché Deathstars.

I called them Neptune-class, for they would be the gods of the black ocean.

I kicked my economy into production, shipyards flaring to life as they built these mythological beasts, deities in construction. One could have done, but that wasn't enough. Ten was hardly the amount. More and more shipyards built and built, factories on earth their sole purpose to build more shipyards, feed them and grow them into monstrous sizes. All to feed the beast that was the fury of Neptune. I didn't care that this would bankrupt our economy, watching our wealth sink into the depths. I didn't care that our resources, so few now were near-depletion. I didn't care that I was bringing my nation to ruination - I would make it salvation. We made one for every lost ship in the battle for Sol, one for every colonial ship whose crew were killed. The years passed, the onslaught still coming. A decade, and they were complete.

One-hundred-eighty. One-hundred-eighty loomed around their shipyards. This was it: a decade of waiting. Glistening in their armour and to the bone. It was time for revenge. It was time to reclaim my lost colony, it was time to take the fight to them, to wipe them off the face of the galaxy and reduce their homeworld to ash. I could feel my heart racing, wicked grin crossing my face. It was time to let the real fun begin.

MFW I realise I forgot to add fuel tanks:

Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10002 on: March 08, 2012, 02:25:52 pm »

SM Mode on

Unlock design

Add fueltanks

Lock design

SM mode off

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10003 on: March 08, 2012, 02:29:11 pm »

SM Mode on

Unlock design

Add fueltanks

Lock design

SM mode off

You just completely ruined the humor!  :D

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10004 on: March 08, 2012, 02:31:04 pm »

Oh sorry.

OH NOES U R DUUUMED!!!1
Pages: 1 ... 665 666 [667] 668 669 ... 1347