Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 664 665 [666] 667 668 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815954 times)

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9975 on: February 23, 2012, 06:48:16 am »

Is there any way to raise a Civilian Administrators' administration rating level?

I have a great guy who is at poor health, he has 25% to things like mining, shipbuilding and a plenty of other useful stuff. Oh, and he has Administration Rating 1.

I have also a shitty guy who has mining 10% as the highest skill, he has Administration Rating 6.

Is there any way to raise it? I assigned the great guy to my soon-to-be mining colony, and well... it only raised his promotion score.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9976 on: February 23, 2012, 08:22:05 am »

Only by assigning them somewhere and letting them govern. There's a random chance that one of his skills will increase or he'll gain more administration rating.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9977 on: February 23, 2012, 11:18:02 am »

Okay, thanks...

Another question: how do you get asteroid mining modules to work? I sent one ship w/ one AMM to an asteroid, the one with the good governor and well... annual production was 11-12, which is not a number I like. Is there any way to speed this up, except for adding more modules? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9978 on: February 23, 2012, 11:38:27 am »

Okay, thanks...

Another question: how do you get asteroid mining modules to work? I sent one ship w/ one AMM to an asteroid, the one with the good governor and well... annual production was 11-12, which is not a number I like. Is there any way to speed this up, except for adding more modules? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?
Their production is based on your mining tech IIRC multiplied by the number of modules and modified by the commander of the ship's mining ability, not the governor of the colony.

I think... been a while.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9979 on: February 23, 2012, 11:39:00 am »

A single asteroid mining module is going to give you pitiful anual production. You will want tens/hundreds of modules present at the colony in order to get a decent rate of production.

That colony governor isn't actually providing any bonus for any asteroid mining modules that are present, they gain their bonus from the commander of the ship that they are mounted on. A colony governor only applies his bonus to ground based mines/automines. This is one reason why many who use asteroid miners build bases with many mining modules that they tow into place as that way a high bonus on a single officer gets applied to many modules.

Beyond moving more mining modules to the colony, the other way of increasing production is to research the improved mining techline. Even the first relatively cheap level gives you a 20% increase in production.

edit: ninja'ed again.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 11:41:35 am by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9980 on: February 23, 2012, 11:59:15 am »

Okay, Automate Mines it is then... Thanks a lot for feedback. ;)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9981 on: February 23, 2012, 12:14:27 pm »

Or you could just build a ship with nothing but armor and point defense. If you use civilian engines, it doesn't even need maintenance.

If it has any military systems at all, it will suffer maintenance failures.

Is there any way to raise a Civilian Administrators' administration rating level?

I have a great guy who is at poor health, he has 25% to things like mining, shipbuilding and a plenty of other useful stuff. Oh, and he has Administration Rating 1.

I have also a shitty guy who has mining 10% as the highest skill, he has Administration Rating 6.

Is there any way to raise it? I assigned the great guy to my soon-to-be mining colony, and well... it only raised his promotion score.
Only by assigning them somewhere and letting them govern. There's a random chance that one of his skills will increase or he'll gain more administration rating.

Incorrect; you can promote them in the Commanders window while in SM mode.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9982 on: February 23, 2012, 02:22:32 pm »

I'd like to not use SM mode as long as I can... we'll see how long I'll hold.

YET another question: how do I disband task groups? I think I can see some more buttons when I move the Task Group window up, but I'm not sure(I'm using a 1366x766 laptop). Is there another row of buttons below 'System Map' - 'Assemble' buttons?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9983 on: February 23, 2012, 02:30:06 pm »

Yes. There are buttons such as New TG, Rename TG, Delete TG, Shields on, Shields off, Hyper on, Hyper off, and other less important ones.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9984 on: February 23, 2012, 06:41:50 pm »

Keep in mind that the cost of 1 automated mine is the same as the cost of 2 asteroid miners.  Also it helps to give an asteroid miner enough cargo space to fit a mass driver.  That's what I do, anyway.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9985 on: February 23, 2012, 06:57:49 pm »

I'd like to not use SM mode as long as I can... we'll see how long I'll hold.

YET another question: how do I disband task groups? I think I can see some more buttons when I move the Task Group window up, but I'm not sure(I'm using a 1366x766 laptop). Is there another row of buttons below 'System Map' - 'Assemble' buttons?

Eh, to be honest, a lot of the uses for SM mode are less "I'm going to cheat" and more "I'm going to fix something". As for the latter, *points to sig*.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #9986 on: February 28, 2012, 11:32:39 am »

Keep in mind that the cost of 1 automated mine is the same as the cost of 2 asteroid miners.  Also it helps to give an asteroid miner enough cargo space to fit a mass driver.  That's what I do, anyway.
Is that including hull, drive, etc?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9987 on: February 28, 2012, 11:37:43 am »

Thought I'd check in, haven't in a while... does the game still practically stop when non-player races are fighting? Very intrigued by game, but that has ruined it for me in the past.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9988 on: February 28, 2012, 12:17:17 pm »

Thought I'd check in, haven't in a while... does the game still practically stop when non-player races are fighting? Very intrigued by game, but that has ruined it for me in the past.
It does to a degree, but I've rarely had two NPRs have a sustained combat that went for more than 20-30 segments. There's now an "automated turns" option that can be flagged, so if you hit a patch like that, you can flag the automated turns thing, and hit something suitably large like 5 Days, then leave it be while you go off and do something else. Even if the game cuts the segments down to 5 seconds because of NPR combat, it'll automatically keep generating new turns until there's something newsworthy to report to you, at which point it stops. This means you can safely leave it running and when the combat is over, it'll run one big 5-day turn and then stop because you'll have all your usual 5-day update stuff to break the automation.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Llamainaspitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9989 on: February 28, 2012, 11:11:47 pm »

So, My Mars Colony has Roughly a million people.
And i'm having a bit of trouble managing Construction.
I have imported 5 mines and 6 Construction factories from earth.
However, I have 2 Terraforming installations, 100 mines, and 1 construction factory lined up for production.
The Construction factory is to be finished in 7 years, And the other Two in about 30.
How should i go about speeding these up?

Do I not need that many mines?
Pages: 1 ... 664 665 [666] 667 668 ... 1347