Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 663 664 [665] 666 667 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815981 times)

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9960 on: February 18, 2012, 04:10:00 pm »

Just asking out of curiosity, do you guys use geological survey teams? The ones that you can set up in Teams / Academy tab? I found it quite useful as with 100 skill these guys tripled my terran Gallcite mineral deposits, and in next game raised Mercassium a bit.

So, do you use them?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9961 on: February 18, 2012, 04:44:19 pm »

I think pretty much everyone does, though the standard usage is to train them on the moons with >0.1 g (Europa, Io, Ganymede, etc.), then on the planets without any minerals, then on the planets with minerals, then on Earth, to maximize output. Once they're all up at really high bonuses, you can potentially double or more your original mineral resources on Earth.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9962 on: February 18, 2012, 05:05:48 pm »

I've only ever been able to fit one tug to one orbital habitat, is it possible to get multiple tugs to tug a single ship, cause that would be profoundly useful.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9963 on: February 18, 2012, 08:24:54 pm »

You can't get multiple tugs attached to one ship. But what you can do is set up a train, ie tug A tractors tug B tractors tug C tractors big immobile installation. The collective speed is then determined by the total mass against total engine power.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9964 on: February 19, 2012, 12:17:31 am »

i thought tractor trains wrer disabled a few versions ago?
Anyway, my first fleet is basically wiped out,only a handfull of frigates eight facs an dmy two amm frigatees left. almost no ammo lwft. it seems that thirty thou  kmps amms dont do too well against fourty thou kmps asms. go figure.
excuse the punctuation im on my kindle.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9965 on: February 19, 2012, 02:01:34 am »

Tractor train? I'll try it.

How about this. What if I just gave my orbital habitat uber industry ships like 8 tractor beams each, then my tugs don't need to even have tractors (faster) and I can attach like 8 tugs, theoretically.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9966 on: February 19, 2012, 08:34:10 am »

i thought tractor trains wrer disabled a few versions ago?

It was partially. In the current version when a tractor link is established the tractoring ship and the target are removed from the list of valid tractor targets for other ships. However if the tractored ship has a tractor of it's own it can still establish a link to another ship. So for a tractor chain you chain all of your tugs together and have the final one tractor the real target.

Tractor train? I'll try it.

How about this. What if I just gave my orbital habitat uber industry ships like 8 tractor beams each, then my tugs don't need to even have tractors (faster) and I can attach like 8 tugs, theoretically.

Won't work. A ship can only establish one tractor link regardless of how many tractor beams it has mounted.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Oscuro1987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9967 on: February 22, 2012, 06:47:40 pm »

Is there any way to target your own ships in this? I mean ok, weird question, but i'd like to conduct ballistic/armaments test before actually heading the wolves' lair.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9968 on: February 22, 2012, 07:17:34 pm »

Is there any way to target your own ships in this? I mean ok, weird question, but i'd like to conduct ballistic/armaments test before actually heading the wolves' lair.

No but you can create *ennemy* ship using SM mode if i remember just make a new ennemy, design a big ship slow engine lot of armor/shield and SM it in game once test complete delete them all thats the easiest i found.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9969 on: February 22, 2012, 08:10:49 pm »

You should already be familiar with the rough damage profiles of each weapon type, and how/if upgraded technology affects them. The only way to know how well they'll do against a given enemy class is to try it and find out. It isn't as if small, early-game ships aren't expendable.

3. Run Resize Enable

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9970 on: February 22, 2012, 08:35:53 pm »

As a still relative n00b i regularly conduct savescum weapons tests against live enemies. technically cheating but whatever, i keep catching things that a more experienced player wouldn't have missed, sure it is very much cheating to actually find out how lage the enemy fleet is, how powerful their missiles/beams are, how much ordnance they have/their missile speed etc, but it is extremely useful to find out that
A) My long range destroyers actually are 1000km/s too slow to move through the black hole that defends earth
B) Only 3 sensor equipped ships probably isn't enough when i'm losing 2/3 of my fleet before they reach missile range
C) AMM ships are very important, sure those 30,000km/s AMMs only have a 7% chance of hitting 40,000km/s ASMs, but launched in pairs of salvos of 7 theres very close to 98% chance of a hit.
D) Ordnance ships are very useful in a long range or defensive engagement, despite losing 2/3 of my fleet things would have been far worse if i hadn't squirrelled away an extra 1000 AMMs
E) I learned that tactically it was a bad idea to send my FACs straight to the enemy, where they lost protection from the AMM ships
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9971 on: February 22, 2012, 09:25:06 pm »

But the primary purpose of FACs is to make the enemy waste missiles on expendable ships.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9972 on: February 22, 2012, 09:31:12 pm »

No but you can create *ennemy* ship using SM mode if i remember just make a new ennemy, design a big ship slow engine lot of armor/shield and SM it in game once test complete delete them all thats the easiest i found.
I wonder... could you create an alien race with no colonies via SM mode and call them "Target Drones" then build ships and give those ships to the alien race so you can shoot them?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9973 on: February 22, 2012, 09:37:58 pm »

I did notice that, the enemy was spending several salvos of 4 strength 8 missiles against each FAC, destroying the FAC and taking maybe a dozen missiles with them, rather than targeting my 4,000 ton frigates which could survive 2-3 of said salvos due to their armour.
If i wanted to be really exploity i would have made light very cheap FAC's with heavy armour and beam PD and sent them one at a time merely to waste the enemies missiles.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9974 on: February 22, 2012, 10:40:23 pm »

Or you could just build a ship with nothing but armor and point defense. If you use civilian engines, it doesn't even need maintenance.
Pages: 1 ... 663 664 [665] 666 667 ... 1347