Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 662 663 [664] 665 666 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2816208 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9945 on: February 17, 2012, 10:44:10 am »

Seconded (thirded?).

Some comparisons of how a simple task (building a laser-armed scout ship) work in various 4x space games:

Imperium Galactica: Choose "Build", choose "Scout".
Master of Orion 2: Choose "Design", choose Scout Hull, choose Laser Cannon. Construct design at any planet.
Space Empires V: Research Energy to get Laser Cannon module, research construction to get Scout Hull, research propulsion to get Engine module.
Go into ship designer and place however many modules you want in the hull (within the limits set by the hull class). Build final design at any planet with a shipyard.

Aurora: Commit an energy weapons researcher to researching Infrared Laser and/or an increased Laser Focal Size technology. Also, have a Sensors researcher researching whatver kinds of sensors you want. And an engine research researching engine technologies (propulsion type, fuel efficiency, power/efficiency ratio differentials. Optionally, have a Defensive Systems researcher researching lower thermal signatures.

Once all this research is complete, go into tech designer, and design the individual laser cannon (tweaking focal size, spectrum type, capacitor recharge rate, and miniturization level). Design the engine (balancing a whole variety of factors). Design active sensor suite and passive EM and thermal sensors. Then research all these designed components.

THEN go into the ship designer, and stick all your components together. Unlike most every other 4x that constrains your designs by "hull slots" within defined ship classes, you are fettered only by the laws of Aurora physics. Want to build a 400,000-ton "scout" behemoth with 1000 laser cannons? You can. But at early levels of tech development, your behmoth is going to take 50 years to build, require a crew of tens of thousands, consume more minerals than you have on Earth, and will travel slower than the average commercial tugboat.

Once you've arrived at a design that you're happy with (balancing the needed components, overall weight, speed, armor protection, maintenance duration, fuel range, etc.) you find a shipyard with the appropriate type (Civil or Military) and a sufficient capacity for that weight of ship. Then you tool the yard for that design (or retool if you already had a design in place), and commence to building. If you're smart and have the extra industrial capacity available, you build most of the components before you build the ship, to speed up construction. Then you actually start building (and name your ship). Anywhere from a few months to several years later, your ship is done.

It's a much more realistic model of ship construction--often by the time your vessels are complete, they're partially obsolete. And there's enough time for things to happen to change the mission requirements of your design.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9946 on: February 17, 2012, 10:58:39 am »

Wall of text
And you have still forgoten about modules:
power generators in addition to laser - so your ship can reload those nasty lasers
targetting sensors in addition to active sensors - so you can actually shoot at something

That's about it. Easy comparison of 4x "accessibility".

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9947 on: February 17, 2012, 11:02:36 am »

True dat. I lost track of how many designs (and even games) I had to throw out early on before I understood everything that was required in a design. Even now I find myself making derpy design errors, like my unarmed carriers that have an ECCM module on them (because at one point they did have some limited firepower before I removed it during the design process but forgot to remove the ECCM).

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9948 on: February 17, 2012, 11:29:12 am »

and will travel slower than the average commercial tugboat.

To be fair, a decent tugboat design will go pretty fast.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9949 on: February 17, 2012, 11:37:28 am »

Yeah, my tugs tend to be faster than pretty much anything larger than a frigate.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9950 on: February 17, 2012, 11:45:22 am »

Hmm...good point. My one tug design is actually the fastest thing in the fleet (nearly 10,000 km/s). I have no idea how slow it's going to be when towing my orbital megahabitats, though.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9951 on: February 17, 2012, 04:39:05 pm »

It's kinda embarrassing to admit, given how long I've been playing Aurora... but I've finally managed to destroy my first enemy ship. Most of my games end in boredom and most of my battles end in pathetic failure.

I just sent out three new Purifier destroyers which laserzapped a precursor vessel into wreckage! At least, I think it's a precursor -- was pretty fast for a 12,000 ton vessel. I can't be actually bothered talking to the aliens and find out though, as why bother talk when you have lasers?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #9952 on: February 18, 2012, 01:27:07 am »

is it possible to have a ship but no planets?

i might start playing just to build a star sized ship that cant have the shields taken down

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9953 on: February 18, 2012, 01:46:26 am »

The way construction works currently, it is impossible to have a functioning ship-based civilization, as you need some sort of colony for your industry to operate on.

3. Run Resize Enable

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9954 on: February 18, 2012, 02:35:15 am »

What are Particle Beams anyway?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9955 on: February 18, 2012, 02:39:00 am »

Like lasers with overall less range and significantly less damage, but they have no dropoff in damage from range and the size of the beam does not effect the range and vice versa, meaning at high tech levels you can have very small, long range Particle beams. The strength of the gun effects the size. They cannot be fit on a turret.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #9956 on: February 18, 2012, 04:41:38 am »

-snip-

Nevermind, I can't read.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 05:51:04 am by FritzPL »

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9957 on: February 18, 2012, 04:52:15 am »

What are Particle Beams anyway?

Ever play Sword of the Stars? I imagine them as being like the Blazers in that game.

Therefore, particle beams are awesome.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #9958 on: February 18, 2012, 07:38:44 am »

The way construction works currently, it is impossible to have a functioning ship-based civilization, as you need some sort of colony for your industry to operate on.
Actually it's at least theorically possible to base your civilization around a massive orbital habitat with a fleet of supporting freighters, fuel harvesters, asteroid miners, defensive ships and a few gate constructers, and lead a nomadic life among the stars as Dr. Hawking envisions.

Not exactly ship-based, but close enough.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 07:42:11 am by JWNoctis »
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9959 on: February 18, 2012, 11:17:16 am »

Actually it's at least theorically possible to base your civilization around a massive orbital habitat with a fleet of supporting freighters, fuel harvesters, asteroid miners, defensive ships and a few gate constructers, and lead a nomadic life among the stars as Dr. Hawking envisions.

Not exactly ship-based, but close enough.
Actually, that is still imppossible, as you need a designated colony for your factories, research facilities, academies, GFTCs, etc. to sit on. The mechanics of the game physically prevent a functioning >fully< shipboard civilization, and will continue to do so unless and until there are modules which replicate the functions of every installation, which we probably won't see, except possibly (hopefully) in Newtonian Aurora.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 662 663 [664] 665 666 ... 1347