Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 652 653 [654] 655 656 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817019 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9795 on: February 02, 2012, 11:16:48 am »

RedKing, you should consider the Precursors defectors as "We found some code that allowed us to take controle of those bots". And use the robotics soldiers as a special, elite force that can never be reinforced.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9796 on: February 02, 2012, 11:36:50 am »

I just have to say that the fact that you can gain mining tech from recovering ruined mines is incredibly overpowered. I've maxed out my mining tech a while back, and am now getting messages that "such-and-such Engineer Brigade has recovered a Mine and Technical Details of on Planet Whatever".  :)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9797 on: February 02, 2012, 12:26:04 pm »

RedKing, you should consider the Precursors defectors as "We found some code that allowed us to take controle of those bots". And use the robotics soldiers as a special, elite force that can never be reinforced.
Ah, but in my game the Precursors aren't robots. They're a shadowy energy life-form that Earth thinks is an NPR bent on their destruction, and are only just now figuring out that these guys are kinda just scattered junkyard dogs. The alliance calls them Wraiths (and no, I didn't rip off Stargate: Atlantis...the default pic that Aurora chose for Precursors was a sort of dark energy-creature thing). Plus it seemed like a good fit with the relatively high ECM strength on their vessels. I picture their ships as flickering/shifting and hard to target. Plus, being energy creatures makes it easier to rationalize why I have no biodata or lifepods available for them despite capturing four different installations and blowing up a ton of ships.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9798 on: February 02, 2012, 12:34:09 pm »

So I just encountered an event I don't think I've seen before.

Nice to see that less than a year after conquest there are already human officer candidates attending academy on Shengrali Prime.  ::)

3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9799 on: February 02, 2012, 12:41:15 pm »

Nice to see that less than a year after conquest there are already human officer candidates attending academy on Shengrali Prime.  ::)

Maybe they're Shengralese taking a human name? I do wish Aurora kept track of names based on racial files, so that if you had a multi-racial empire, you'd wind up with multi-racial officer pools. Even better if it tracked racial likes/dislikes, so that eventually you could have a native-born governor to help decrease unrest (but at an increased risk of revolt? I dunno....it's not something Steve seems terribly interested in, so...)

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9800 on: February 02, 2012, 02:26:33 pm »

Maybe they're Shengralese taking a human name? I do wish Aurora kept track of names based on racial files, so that if you had a multi-racial empire, you'd wind up with multi-racial officer pools. Even better if it tracked racial likes/dislikes, so that eventually you could have a native-born governor to help decrease unrest (but at an increased risk of revolt? I dunno....it's not something Steve seems terribly interested in, so...)

Yeah, that'd be a nice bit of added depth. Even better if we also had racial advantages; a species that evolved from fliers having a higher chance of a better Fighter Ops bonus, etc. That would give players an incentive to make a real multispecies empire for non-RP reasons.

3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9801 on: February 02, 2012, 03:18:01 pm »

Yeah, that'd be a nice bit of added depth. Even better if we also had racial advantages; a species that evolved from fliers having a higher chance of a better Fighter Ops bonus, etc. That would give players an incentive to make a real multispecies empire for non-RP reasons.

Well, beyond the incentive that some species are more suited to certain planets than humans. I typically use conquered aliens to colonize worlds outside the human range (especially where gravity is concerned).

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9802 on: February 03, 2012, 09:36:27 pm »

I think there was an update, just some bug fixes though.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9803 on: February 03, 2012, 10:25:08 pm »

No, that's pretty much one of the two issues. Essentially, we need a way to designate a ship as a colony, and a way to either set up a ship in such a way that it can repair itself, or that it doesn't need to be maintained.

Actually, I don't mind the requirement that an asteroid be required for a colony.  My concern is that it is currently difficult to run factories and research from the ship.  What if we had "Science Labs" like on Star Trek that can discover the secrets of the universe?  They'd only produce a small portion of the research of population-based research labs, but they could be run by ship crew.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9804 on: February 03, 2012, 10:31:11 pm »

No, that's pretty much one of the two issues. Essentially, we need a way to designate a ship as a colony, and a way to either set up a ship in such a way that it can repair itself, or that it doesn't need to be maintained.

Actually, I don't mind the requirement that an asteroid be required for a colony.  My concern is that it is currently difficult to run factories and research from the ship.  What if we had "Science Labs" like on Star Trek that can discover the secrets of the universe?  They'd only produce a small portion of the research of population-based research labs, but they could be run by ship crew.

See, I was going more for the idea of genuine worldships, where you have substantial civilian populations living onboard, with onboard factories, labs, etc. that produce, say, 1/4 of the output of a groundside facility, but only take up 20k tons per facility. The ships themselves would be absurdly large by current standards (in the 10m+ ton range), and would function more as mobile colonies or bases, rather than 'proper' ships.

3. Run Resize Enable

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9805 on: February 04, 2012, 02:07:12 am »

I just started a new game of Aurora, today. I was bored and figured I'd try something new -- Aurora sometimes creates two planets of roughly equal size, one orbiting the other as it's moon. A sort of binary planet, if you will. I wanted to start my race with one of those as it's homeworld, so... generating systems we go!

Took a while to generate a system with quite what I wanted, usually the planetary pairs were around 0.4-0.6g, which is a bit too small. I did find one pair at 1.8g, unfortunately too large. After three days, and around a thousand systems (I'm exaggerating less than you might think) I finally found a planetary pair around 1g. 1.18 and 1.11, to be exact. What was really remarkable though, was that the system had a second set of paired planets, these being in the 0.6g range -- I've never seen a system with two pairs. Sadly the second set is just slightly too cold to be fully terraformed, but perhaps I'll genetically improve my race a bit.

Still, a very interesting system to start in, and I'm looking forward to playing this game. I do wish generating systems wasn't so incredibly painful, though...
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9806 on: February 04, 2012, 02:08:43 am »

I admire your persistence  :o

Be sure to let us know how it works out!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9807 on: February 05, 2012, 01:08:47 am »

I've encountered something very strange, which may or may not be a bug. The single gauss turrets on my CAs and PD cruisers appear to no longer exist, according to the system display, and refuse to operate in PD mode even with proper assignment in the combat window, yet still appear on the class design. Relevant:

Their range marker doesn't show up on system view, they don't fire in their assigned PD mode.

Yet everything else is set up properly.

I've got absolutely no idea what is going on, or how to fix it. The game isn't throwing up any event messages or errors, either.

3. Run Resize Enable

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9808 on: February 05, 2012, 01:20:53 am »

Have you checked the individual ship info (f6)? I've occasionally seen ships/equipment develop aberrant info as compared to the original design, particularly after patching.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9809 on: February 05, 2012, 01:27:53 am »

Yeah, everything still shows up properly in the individual ship screens as well.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 652 653 [654] 655 656 ... 1347