Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 649 650 [651] 652 653 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817108 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9750 on: January 30, 2012, 04:25:13 pm »

I thought the orbital habs were for the purpose of using planetbased terraformers on planets where no people can be dropped.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9751 on: January 30, 2012, 04:27:48 pm »

RedKing, I'd go with a smaller ship that has mining modules for the mining part. Maybe Engineer for supplies.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #9752 on: January 30, 2012, 05:10:44 pm »

I thought the orbital habs were for the purpose of using planetbased terraformers on planets where no people can be dropped.
Or storing population while you genetically engineer them into people capable of living on the planet.

They're orbital infrastructure (except they're independent of all planetary factors).  That's the gist of it.

They also handily convert it from a shipyard construction to a factory construction.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9753 on: January 30, 2012, 05:12:18 pm »

Well, the Zion class is designed to work in tandem with a couple hundred mines ferried there by freighters. Once they've extracted everything, they either move on to another rock or the mines get swapped out for construction factories and they start building things. These aren't really intended for potential terraforming targets, but rather for creating a system presence in systems where there really aren't any rocks worth landing on. (And mining big rocks that asteroid miners can't handle).

Plus, at 5 mil population, they create enough of an economy to help generate civilian shipping traffic.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9754 on: January 30, 2012, 05:18:06 pm »

Why put orbhab modules on? They work just fine without 'em. Anyway, you only need a handful of tugs... but hey, whatever you like.
So he can build them with industry rather than in a shipyard
Basically this. If you build them as ships, you have to have a shipyard for them, which means you have to invest in extra slipways and massive expansion that might be more useful for a different ship (say, a super-freighter).

Thing is, I built up two 2-slipway yards to around 1.1m ton capacity for my terraformers. Yes, this took time and effort, but I was working from a conventional start, so I had them at that point before I had ever designed the III-run class, and they'll be ready for when I start building megafreighters and mobile bases. There is no such thing as bad expansion.

Also, my industry has more important things to do than build terraformers. My gigantic civilian shipyards don't.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9755 on: January 30, 2012, 09:31:49 pm »

Why put orbhab modules on? They work just fine without 'em. Anyway, you only need a handful of tugs... but hey, whatever you like.
So he can build them with industry rather than in a shipyard
Basically this. If you build them as ships, you have to have a shipyard for them, which means you have to invest in extra slipways and massive expansion that might be more useful for a different ship (say, a super-freighter).

Thing is, I built up two 2-slipway yards to around 1.1m ton capacity for my terraformers. Yes, this took time and effort, but I was working from a conventional start, so I had them at that point before I had ever designed the III-run class, and they'll be ready for when I start building megafreighters and mobile bases. There is no such thing as bad expansion.

Also, my industry has more important things to do than build terraformers. My gigantic civilian shipyards don't.

As I said, it's a matter of taste. I don't have more important things to build than terraforming stations, and my shipyards are too small for the size of terraformer I want to build. Much easier to build them as orb-habs and tow them where I want than wait for half a decade to get a shipyard the right size or piddle around with smaller ships (or worse, try to build planetary based terraformers, they're criminally overpriced compared to ship based installations). But if you have a civilian complex   free that's capable of doing what you want, by all means use it, especially if you have other things to build with your factories.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9756 on: January 30, 2012, 09:34:50 pm »

I think we can all agree that the planetary installations are complete rubbish, at least.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9757 on: January 31, 2012, 02:08:03 am »

I think we all wish for the day that we can run our entire Aurora Empire offworld.  Planets are for losers!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #9758 on: January 31, 2012, 02:43:59 am »

I think we all wish for the day that we can run our entire Aurora Empire offworld.  Planets are for losers!

the new shipyard discussion I saw within the newtonian aurora thread  is one good step in that direction.

we can only hope  :P

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9759 on: January 31, 2012, 09:19:09 am »

It wouldn't really be that difficult, or that big of a change. All we'd need are shipboard modules with the same functions as planetary installations, and we already have proof-of-concept with terraforming modules, asteroid mining modules, maint. modules, and to a certain extent hanger bays.

I'm already salivating over the thought of a MAH-KUH-ROS Frontieresque fleet of ships with different functions, protected by a relatively small but powerful defence force.

3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9760 on: January 31, 2012, 09:53:41 am »

A ragtag, fugitive fleet?  (oops, wrong series)  :P

I've actually been tinkering around with a scenario kind of like Macross or Star Blazers: An Earth-based start either conventional or just barely TN, with a single huge, extremely advanced ship (by creating another civ, SMing it WAY up in tech, OOBing an SDF-1/Argo, transferring it to the Earth civ, then deleting the advanced civ). And of course, I'd have to put a couple of aggressive NPRs out there in space to be the Zentraedi, Invid, etc.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9761 on: January 31, 2012, 09:59:07 am »

It wouldn't really be that difficult, or that big of a change. All we'd need are shipboard modules with the same functions as planetary installations, and we already have proof-of-concept with terraforming modules, asteroid mining modules, maint. modules, and to a certain extent hanger bays.

I'm already salivating over the thought of a MAH-KUH-ROS Frontieresque fleet of ships with different functions, protected by a relatively small but powerful defence force.

Right now the issue is the concept of a colony. Even the new shipyards need to be associated with a planet, moon or asteroid, and for coding reasons, I don't think that is going to change.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #9762 on: January 31, 2012, 10:13:11 am »

a problem is that maintenance module only repair ship up to a size, and I think that a ship that has 100% maintenance module can't repair itself.

ok I have the idea in my mind but cannot explain properly now. getting a bit ill. hope it's clear. there are a lot of missing links in the train wreck of my thoughts.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9763 on: January 31, 2012, 10:18:47 am »

No, that's pretty much one of the two issues. Essentially, we need a way to designate a ship as a colony, and a way to either set up a ship in such a way that it can repair itself, or that it doesn't need to be maintained.

3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9764 on: January 31, 2012, 11:44:11 am »

My thought with the SDF-1/Yamato concept was that it would have enough cargo and cryo space to carry colony materials. So as it plumbs deep space, it could drop little resupply bases along the way. Not exactly faithful to the original source material, but it's a decent workaround.

Pages: 1 ... 649 650 [651] 652 653 ... 1347