Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 638 639 [640] 641 642 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817533 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9585 on: January 12, 2012, 07:35:09 pm »

I tend to develop the ones which have the best combination of amount and accessibility of minerals, alongside the ones with the lowest time needed to terraform to 0.00. You're going to have roughly the same amount of civilian activity regardless of the distribution of your colonies. One thing, you should probably go ahead and plant a seed of 200ish infrastructure and 0.25m or so people on every 2.00 or less cost world, which both creates stuff for your civvies to do, and ensures that you'll have multiple well-populated colonies by the time you can afford to start shipping out installations. One thing to keep an eye on is your homeworld population, as large periods of colonization (especially if the civs go wild) can drop you below your ideal level of workers, which screws up all of your R&D, production, and shipbuilding rates. If you aren't actively producing missiles or fighters, you can deactivate those industries to create more workforce for other sectors, but keep in mind that you'll need 180 days to get them running again.

One thing you can do if you're strapped for minerals is to concentrate on colonizing a few inner worlds, but plant automining/asteroid miner colonies in outer systems, so you're still getting that mineral flow, but without the investment in actual colonization. Another trick is to colonize worlds that had ruins which have been completely exploited, as that will give you a small starting core of useful installations.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #9586 on: January 12, 2012, 08:41:39 pm »

Another trick is to colonize worlds that had ruins which have been completely exploited, as that will give you a small starting core of useful installations.
Or large, depending.
(My most recent ruin has 785 installations.)
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9587 on: January 12, 2012, 09:27:16 pm »

My nearest unexploited ruin is at the end of the chain...and it has 8 structures. Dropping the infrastructure is a really good idea, doing that now.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9588 on: January 12, 2012, 09:33:35 pm »

One thing to keep an eye on is your homeworld population, as large periods of colonization (especially if the civs go wild) can drop you below your ideal level of workers, which screws up all of your R&D, production, and shipbuilding rates.
Believe you can set your homeworld to not be a source of colonists if you get too low to be comfortable so the civs won't pull people from it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9589 on: January 12, 2012, 10:49:37 pm »

One thing to keep an eye on is your homeworld population, as large periods of colonization (especially if the civs go wild) can drop you below your ideal level of workers, which screws up all of your R&D, production, and shipbuilding rates.
Believe you can set your homeworld to not be a source of colonists if you get too low to be comfortable so the civs won't pull people from it.

Yeah, but for some reason that menu seems to not always save the changes you make.

3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9590 on: January 12, 2012, 11:07:24 pm »

It works fine for me.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9591 on: January 13, 2012, 09:38:32 am »

Time to continue my video tutorial series, and the next episode is all about ship design and research and how bad I am at both those things. It is 37ish minutes long, so tomorrow this episode will be up ready to watch. It is poorly explained in my opinion, but perhaps others will think different...
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

Scout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9592 on: January 13, 2012, 02:02:05 pm »

What are the formulae for deep space tracking stations, passive EM sensors, and passive thermal sensors?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9593 on: January 13, 2012, 03:52:01 pm »

If you're wondering about how they calculate sensor strength, DSTS are (Sensor strength tech)*(# of DSTS), and thermal and EM passives are (Sensor sensitivity tech)*(Sensor size), with the range base being the range at which it can detect a STR-1000 contact, with the range scaling based on the strength of given contact. So a sensitivity-14, size 1 passive could detect a STR-1000 contact at 14m km, or (sensitivity 14)*(size 1) or 14*1, whereas a sensitivity 14, size 15 passive could detect a STR-1000 contact at 210m km, or (sensitivity 14)*(size 15), or 14*15.

In other words, the default naming code for passives indicates their size and the range at which they can detect a STR-1000 contact; a Thermal Sensor TH2-28 is size-2 (or 100 tons), has a total sensitivity of 28, and can detect a STR-1000 contact at 28m km.

3. Run Resize Enable

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9594 on: January 13, 2012, 05:37:26 pm »

It would appear the miltary jump engines can move both commericial and military ships.  I accidentally sent my commerical geosurvey ship to another system with only my military jumpship, and it worked fine.

I'm not sure if there is any restrictions on commerical jump engines, but the military jump engine seems to be universal.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9595 on: January 13, 2012, 05:41:42 pm »

I'm not sure if there is any restrictions on commerical jump engines, but the military jump engine seems to be universal.

Commercial jump engines will only jump ships with commercial engines. They'll work on military ships, I believe, but only if that ship has military engines (so they'd work on a freighter with a large sensor, for example).
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #9596 on: January 13, 2012, 05:56:48 pm »

Commercial jump engines will only jump ships with commercial engines. They'll work on military ships, I believe, but only if that ship has military engines (so they'd work on a freighter with a large sensor, for example).

Not quite -- commercial jumpships will work for any ship, period -- however, commercial jumpships cannot squadron transit, and as such will cause problems (see: jump sickness) in actual military situations.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9597 on: January 13, 2012, 07:35:34 pm »

Squadron transit?
Jump sickness?

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9598 on: January 13, 2012, 10:08:47 pm »

When you jump into a system, it takes a while before your sensors and fire controls become operational again. This is generally a bad thing if there is a crapton of enemy ships camped at the jump point. Squadron transit helps to reduce this downtime.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9599 on: January 13, 2012, 10:18:46 pm »

Squadron transit?
Jump sickness?

Whenever a ship jumps it is effected by "jump sickness", all of it's sensors, ECM, firecontrols, shields etc are disabled for a period of time. This is what makes a jump assault dangerous as you cannot respond to the defenders of the far side of the point. High levels of crew training significantly reduce the duration of the whiteout.

There are two ways of jumping, standard transit, which represents the jumpship jumping back and forth to transit all the ships of a taskgroup, and squadron transit that is intended for jumping into unknown/hostile situations, where the jumpship only transports up to it's squadron rating of ships. Standard transit has a much longer duration jump sickness effect.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Pages: 1 ... 638 639 [640] 641 642 ... 1347