Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 637 638 [639] 640 641 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817617 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9570 on: January 11, 2012, 09:26:16 pm »

You should be able to advance it at whatever rate you want, assuming they aren't setting slower ticks because they're firing on you.

They weren't firing at me, yet the game only advanced at one minute per tick.  Eventually they got bored and left me alone, and the game continued at a normal rate.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9571 on: January 11, 2012, 10:33:55 pm »

Where did you enter the system?

I assume this was direct at me, there are three jps near Jinzhou A. It's rather annying to me that jp survey locations are fairly static, despite the size and composition of the systems. This isn't too bad with realistic stars on, since most systems are single stars or binaries, but when you turn it up you get a massive uptick in the number of three and four star sytems which are much larger that the survey field.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9572 on: January 11, 2012, 11:37:12 pm »

You should be able to advance it at whatever rate you want, assuming they aren't setting slower ticks because they're firing on you.

They weren't firing at me, yet the game only advanced at one minute per tick.  Eventually they got bored and left me alone, and the game continued at a normal rate.

I'm not certain, but it may have had to do with interrupts for the AI involving your ships dropping in and out of sensor range. Or they may have just decided to take short ticks in case you attacked.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9573 on: January 12, 2012, 01:52:15 pm »

(response to ad removed)

My current game is going quite well. I'm trying to use my civilian sector for 90% of my shipping which lets them generate more wealth for themselves and for me. All of my off-planet mining bases are civilian bases which cuts my cost in TN materials. Anywhere I have a manned colony I drop mines but otherwise I let the civilians handle mineral exploitation and so far they've kept me well fed and let me concentrate on other things. I have 7 CMC in the solar system and my mines are spread among Mars, Earth and Titan. I've not yet left the solar system yet as I'm working on some base level technologies first.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 01:55:46 pm by Toady One »

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9574 on: January 12, 2012, 02:10:48 pm »

(response to ad removed)

My current game is going quite well. I'm trying to use my civilian sector for 90% of my shipping which lets them generate more wealth for themselves and for me. All of my off-planet mining bases are civilian bases which cuts my cost in TN materials. Anywhere I have a manned colony I drop mines but otherwise I let the civilians handle mineral exploitation and so far they've kept me well fed and let me concentrate on other things. I have 7 CMC in the solar system and my mines are spread among Mars, Earth and Titan. I've not yet left the solar system yet as I'm working on some base level technologies first.

On the other hand, you have to pay civilian freighters to move stuff for you. But it would take a *lot* of shipping before this added up to the cost of a freighter, and you don't have to provide fuel.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9575 on: January 12, 2012, 02:18:48 pm »

(response to ad removed)

On the other hand, you have to pay civilian freighters to move stuff for you. But it would take a *lot* of shipping before this added up to the cost of a freighter, and you don't have to provide fuel.
To me, wealth costs are nothing compared to costs in TN materials. Wealth is a renewable resource where you must constantly expand and expose yourself to danger to acquire new TN materials. An 8th CMC has just opened in my system as well as yet another manned colony. The trade income alone is 10x what it costs me to have the freighters move things around so it's working out quite well.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9576 on: January 12, 2012, 02:31:47 pm »

(response to ad removed)

To me, wealth costs are nothing compared to costs in TN materials. Wealth is a renewable resource where you must constantly expand and expose yourself to danger to acquire new TN materials. An 8th CMC has just opened in my system as well as yet another manned colony. The trade income alone is 10x what it costs me to have the freighters move things around so it's working out quite well.

Once you get out of sol, and you find a couple million of each mineral in a system, TN seems less scarce. Extraction is still an issue, since large deposits tend to have low accesability, but that's an infrastructure and logistics problem as opposed a "can I afford to build this" problem.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9577 on: January 12, 2012, 02:35:18 pm »

Even if I had tens of millions available for mining, Wealth is an infinite created resource while TN materials are finite.

Also I am given to ridiculously large ship construction projects, so I burn through materials quickly sometimes.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9578 on: January 12, 2012, 03:21:51 pm »

Trying to decide if I want to continue with my main game, or switch to a new one. My main one is the conventional start I did quite a while ago, where I got lucky and got compressed fuel storage. I've played it through 27 years so far, and have a total of 7 colonies (including Earth), multiple terraforming sites, tons of mining colonies, and a total of 61 terraformable worlds in the 76 systems I've surveyed, including no less than 10 0.00 cost worlds, with several more well on their way to that status. In fact, the only real downside for me is that I have to deal with the sheer tedium of managing all of this, plus expansion, without the reward of getting to nuke a bunch of xenos once in a while. I've had Precursors and Star Swarm on the whole game, and NPR gen on 40% for the first 20 years, with it jacked up to 100% more recently, and I've had a total of three encounters with small numbers of Precursors. I also have yet to make contact with the starting NPR. Building empires and designing ships is fun, but the combat is the core of the game for me. I suppose I could just keep expanding until I find someone, and then create a 'hidden' JP between them and a core system.

3. Run Resize Enable

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9579 on: January 12, 2012, 03:22:55 pm »

Even if I had tens of millions available for mining, Wealth is an infinite created resource while TN materials are finite.

Also I am given to ridiculously large ship construction projects, so I burn through materials quickly sometimes.

I guess my point is that given the length of a game, the number os sytems and the avialability of minerals both wealth and TN materials can be considered sufficiently large to be considered infinite. Unless you have a specific problem preventing you from getting out of your local nieghborhood, don't worry about the total amount of TN materials, worry about the effort of extracting them and the rate at which you can do that.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9580 on: January 12, 2012, 03:25:03 pm »

Trying to decide if I want to continue with my main game, or switch to a new one. My main one is the conventional start I did quite a while ago, where I got lucky and got compressed fuel storage. I've played it through 27 years so far, and have a total of 7 colonies (including Earth), multiple terraforming sites, tons of mining colonies, and a total of 61 terraformable worlds in the 76 systems I've surveyed, including no less than 10 0.00 cost worlds, with several more well on their way to that status. In fact, the only real downside for me is that I have to deal with the sheer tedium of managing all of this, plus expansion, without the reward of getting to nuke a bunch of xenos once in a while. I've had Precursors and Star Swarm on the whole game, and NPR gen on 40% for the first 20 years, with it jacked up to 100% more recently, and I've had a total of three encounters with small numbers of Precursors. I also have yet to make contact with the starting NPR. Building empires and designing ships is fun, but the combat is the core of the game for me. I suppose I could just keep expanding until I find someone, and then create a 'hidden' JP between them and a core system.

Why not spawn some NPR's?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9581 on: January 12, 2012, 03:29:58 pm »

I guess my point is that given the length of a game, the number os sytems and the avialability of minerals both wealth and TN materials can be considered sufficiently large to be considered infinite. Unless you have a specific problem preventing you from getting out of your local nieghborhood, don't worry about the total amount of TN materials, worry about the effort of extracting them and the rate at which you can do that.
Yes, I'm aware of this. Mostly I'm doing this as a roleplaying thing. I also play with 100% NPR generation chance so every new system is quite possibly a new foe.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9582 on: January 12, 2012, 03:31:04 pm »

That's probably what I'll resort to once I finish refitting my fleet.

Yes, I'm aware of this. Mostly I'm doing this as a roleplaying thing. I also play with 100% NPR generation chance so every new system is quite possibly a new foe.

Or new slaves, once you reach a certain level of technology.

3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9583 on: January 12, 2012, 03:35:53 pm »

Or new slaves, once you reach a certain level of technology.
Yes... or that.  :D

I decided at the outset that I'd give it until 2100 before I broke out of Sol. I'm pushing that up to 2085 now, and am designing my first jumpships and scouts.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9584 on: January 12, 2012, 06:51:03 pm »

So question for all of you with mulitple colonies, what's the best way of nuturing civillian comerce in multistellar empires?

I've got a string of systems with muliple low colony cost planets (2,5,3 and then several systems off of that one), and was wondering is it made sense to develop all of the planets in each system before moving on or to expand into different systems. More planets in one system would have faster trade, but by picking one planet in each system I'll have access to faster minerals.
Pages: 1 ... 637 638 [639] 640 641 ... 1347