Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 636 637 [638] 639 640 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817595 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9555 on: January 10, 2012, 02:11:09 pm »

True. I usually don't bother doing that just because it's a PITA to jump a squadron two at a time. Standard Terran Alliance doctrine as of 2075 is the four-ship battle squadron:

1 Vanguard-class light carrier w/ either 1 10-unit Comanche squadron or 3-boat Corsair FAC group
3 Omaha-class missile destroyers

Makes for a good basic strategic unit and provides enough missile firepower to take down 2-4 enemy ships while absorbing acceptable damage. The fighters/FACs provide the follow-up damage and/or killing blow.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9556 on: January 10, 2012, 02:21:52 pm »

For a carrier design for missile corvettes, will I need an internal magazine on the carrier to hold backup missiles? Will I need extra fuel tanks as they'll draw from its reserve, or what? Brief me on carriers, please.

Yes and no. Yes, that is certainly one design route, but as BishopX pointed out, making a carrier that is also an ammo collier and giant fying fuel tank means you need a damn big carrier. And it's a carrier that inherently can go boom and leave you utterly scrod.

OTOH, seperating out the ammo and fuel to dedicated colliers and tankers makes logistics more complicated and requires more shipyards.

I rarely "carry" anything larger than FACs, since the hangar space required adds up bigtime. Especially as you don't need to physically dock the corvettes to jump with them. Just research your jump fields up to a squadron size of 4 or 5 (remember that the jumping ship itself counts as one). Refueling can be done without a hangar, so it's really only useful to dock them for box reloads, protection (if the carrier is built like a damn tank) and possibly fuel economy, as the corvettes wouldn't burn any of their own fuel while travelling inside the carrier. But for the hangar space required, you could just slap a hell of a big fuel tank and keep refueling them the whole way.

The only reason you want a large squadron size is to handle jump point ambushes. Everything else can be handled by a squadron size three jump engine using the standard transit option. My current (untested) doctrine is to use several small jump ships to transit pairs of small ships to clear the jump point before transiting in my capital ships.

Also keep in mind that parasites docked with their mothership don't run up their maint. clocks or consume supplies. I tend to use dedicated carriers because of this, the reduced reload time, and the fact that you don't have to rely on support ships. Yes, you run up the tonnage, but parasite and supply management are enough of a pain as it is, without needed two or three sets of support ships to allow your squadrons to function. In addition to that, having fighters or FACs that can't reload at their mothership is akin to having missile ships that have no magazines: yes, you'll save on space, but they're completely impractical for any sort of sustained combat.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9557 on: January 10, 2012, 02:24:40 pm »

Heh, I'm planing on useing my (civillian) geo survey ships to transit a destroyer/torpedo boat pairs to clear the jump point before bring my carriers, cruisers and logistics ships through.

So far I've got my FACs and destroyers designed, still working on the tech for the captial ships (I need things like power plants, long range beam fire controls and actual missle lauchers first).

Spoiler: JP clearance groups (click to show/hide)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9558 on: January 10, 2012, 02:28:19 pm »

Whoa, that's a big survey ship!  :o

3. Run Resize Enable

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9559 on: January 10, 2012, 02:57:55 pm »

It has to be in order to be useful for BishopX's purposes.  Let us know if it works, as I'm curious if a commercial ship can successfully transit military vessels.  I wouldn't think it would work, but I'd be glad to be wrong.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9560 on: January 10, 2012, 03:27:34 pm »

It has to be in order to be useful for BishopX's purposes.  Let us know if it works, as I'm curious if a commercial ship can successfully transit military vessels.  I wouldn't think it would work, but I'd be glad to be wrong.

Commercial ships with military jump engines can transit military ships. The reason my geo survey vessels are so big is two fold. a) they serves as general purpose supply ships and b) the can move small military vesels around easily.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9561 on: January 10, 2012, 03:34:19 pm »

Really? Most of my early jumpscouts are in the 3000-4000 ton range. Heck my new and improved scouts are 6000 tons, and they're not even commercial ships:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Question: Shouldn't having a military jumpdrive automatically make the vessel a military vessel?  ???

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9562 on: January 10, 2012, 03:45:32 pm »

Really? Most of my early jumpscouts are in the 3000-4000 ton range. Heck my new and improved scouts are 6000 tons, and they're not even commercial ships:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Question: Shouldn't having a military jumpdrive automatically make the vessel a military vessel?  ???

for whatever reason it doesn't. The only part of a scout vessel which is automatically military is the grav sensor. I run two types of survey ships, a military grav survey ship with lots of speed (5070 km/s with ion engines) and an active sensor for first contact. After the grav survey ship has swept all the promising planets for nprs or other nasties I send the geosurvey ships in.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9563 on: January 10, 2012, 04:16:46 pm »

I used to do it that way. Now I do a combo grav/geo jumpscout so I can check notable worlds before doing the gravsurvey. Once I have jumpgates up and the system is inside "the perimeter" then I send in nonjump commercial surveyors (Mantis-class) to catalog every minor rock in the system.

And because of the "first contact" scenario (especially since my game seems chock full of Precursors), I learned to uparmor, slap on ECM and put a pair of CIWS on there. The predecessor class to the Pathfinders all met their ends in first contact situations against either Precursors or the Swarm. I've lost a couple of Pathfinders, but I've also had just as many incidents where they got away. Those CIWS make a big difference against the typical 1-2 ship Precursor contacts (big missiles, small volleys)

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9564 on: January 10, 2012, 06:14:06 pm »

I design my grav scouts be able to outrun NPR's, but not spoilery things. I also make them much smaller than my geo survey craft and essentially replaceable. In my current game I've lost 3 out of 5 so far.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9565 on: January 10, 2012, 07:27:51 pm »

I just use throwaway 1000 ton survey ships with milJDs. If I want a scout, jump tender, or a supply ship, I send one. No point in building extra stuff into ships that are by and large going to end their lives as scorched scrap metal floating in some far-off system. It's certainly cheaper using them as tripwires and then deploying actual scouts and forces to the contact point, as opposed to building more expensive ships that can scout on their own. It also allows me to automate them much more effectively; I order one into a new system and can then ignore it until it finishes the survey or is destroyed by enemy fire.

3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9566 on: January 10, 2012, 08:10:57 pm »

I design fast (AKA 10000+ km/s fast) multi-use scouts with huge range. One of the benefits of turtling until you have massive tech. :p

But even without massive tech, I would still build fast scouts. I don't really like losing my scouts, and as an added benefit of massive speed is that the survey ships can get places very, very fast.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9567 on: January 10, 2012, 08:53:54 pm »

So speaking of fast scouts, I just found a massive trinary system, Jinzhou-B orbits Jinzhou-A at a distance of 1.1 trillion km (7400 au), and the outmost planet orbiting Jinzhou-B is 96 billion km from the star. There are 6 LPs in the system, five around Jinzhou-B and one near Jinzhou-C, which is also orbiting Jinzhou-A at a more reasonable distance. The nice thing is that there are three worlds with colony costs less than three, unfortunatly none of them are orbiting Jinzhou-B.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9568 on: January 11, 2012, 07:32:59 pm »

Where did you enter the system?

Question: The aliens of an inhabited system just sent out a squadron of ships to follow my ship.  Is there any way to have the game advance faster than 1 in-game minute per cycle?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9569 on: January 11, 2012, 08:57:54 pm »

You should be able to advance it at whatever rate you want, assuming they aren't setting slower ticks because they're firing on you.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 636 637 [638] 639 640 ... 1347