Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 635 636 [637] 638 639 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817579 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9540 on: January 10, 2012, 12:22:11 am »

What the heck do laser warheads do? I can't find anything on them from the wiki.

Going by common sense and the Honorverse, they're bomb-pumped lasers that fire when the missile is in close proximity to the enemy ship, firing a number of x-ray lasers at it. So basically it would be like you firing the lasers at the ship (the number of laser heads corresponds to the WH strength), except that you're firing them from a missile rather than a ship. The advantage here is obvious: laser damage profile is much more suited to penetrating armor, so you could disable systems without needing to crater through a thick armor belt.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9541 on: January 10, 2012, 12:52:46 am »

Laser warheads do much less damage, and don't penetrate that well either (they get one laser for each MSP of warhead, so a missile with 2 points of warhead effectively hits a target twice, and the damage is based on your laser warhead tech). Their advantage is they can't be shot down by point blank defensive fire, since they detonate before they reach that range.

They also use missile damage patterns, but I can't imagine this is anything but a bug.

There's a more in-depth thread here.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9542 on: January 10, 2012, 04:55:00 am »

Flying Dice, why do you prefer Marines to HA? Sure, they are awesome in boarding (They get a *2 modifier), but to attack/defend a planet, HA seems much better.

Also, I actually never bother with building Garrison Units, I just get them from CMCs.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9543 on: January 10, 2012, 04:56:50 am »

I thought Marines got a *5 multiplier for shipboard actions, but I think the logic was that Marines were more cost-effective in terms of time costs. Actually, does anyone know how much GU training points each type of troop requires to build?

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9544 on: January 10, 2012, 06:32:38 am »

Its actually listed in the GU Training menu. Marines take just as long to train as Heavy Assault battalions, so it's really just a question of whether or not you need their bonuses. If not, the HVA is better.

However, I think Marines also get their bonuses during PDC assaults? I'm not sure on that, as I've not tried with them.

Assault Infantry -  100
Garrison Battalion - 60
Heavy Assault  -   180
Marine Battalion -  180
Mobile Infantry -   100

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9545 on: January 10, 2012, 06:49:16 am »

Hanzoku: IIRC they get their bonus when "boarding" a PDC from a dropship. I don't know if they get it during normal attacks.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9546 on: January 10, 2012, 07:32:21 am »

Marines get their bonus whenever they are fighting inside, so when boarding a ship, defending against a boarding action, assaulting a pdc from the ground or defending a pdc.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9547 on: January 10, 2012, 10:31:06 am »

Flying Dice, why do you prefer Marines to HA? Sure, they are awesome in boarding (They get a *2 modifier), but to attack/defend a planet, HA seems much better.

Also, I actually never bother with building Garrison Units, I just get them from CMCs.

What? When did I say that? I said that I would rather build HA than garrison troops, and that I use a mix of marines and HA as my primary ground forces. I make balanced more towards marines, true, but that is for RP reasons, as HA are basically T/N armored battalions.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9548 on: January 10, 2012, 11:09:28 am »

Must've misunderstood you then, sorry.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9549 on: January 10, 2012, 11:34:29 am »

I always picture HA as a combined-arms unit with grav tanks and armored infantry together. That, or they're Space Marines and everybody else is the Imperial Guard minus the tanks.  :P

I would dearly love Steve to code in some more advanced ground combat some day.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9550 on: January 10, 2012, 12:02:48 pm »

I always picture HA as a combined-arms unit with grav tanks and armored infantry together. That, or they're Space Marines and everybody else is the Imperial Guard minus the tanks.  :P

I would dearly love Steve to code in some more advanced ground combat some day.

Aren't the Marines the Space Marines?
Which would make the HA into the Imperial Guard, I guess.

And more advanced ground combat would be awesome!

Scout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9551 on: January 10, 2012, 12:45:06 pm »

For a carrier design for missile corvettes, will I need an internal magazine on the carrier to hold backup missiles? Will I need extra fuel tanks as they'll draw from its reserve, or what? Brief me on carriers, please.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9552 on: January 10, 2012, 12:54:54 pm »

For a carrier design for missile corvettes, will I need an internal magazine on the carrier to hold backup missiles? Will I need extra fuel tanks as they'll draw from its reserve, or what? Brief me on carriers, please.

There are several ways you could go with this. The simplest is too inculde extra magazines and fuel tanks on your carriers to re-fuel your parasite ships. The other alternative is to use a stripped down fleet carrier and have your missle corvette refuel and reload from fleet oilers and colliers respectivly. If your missle corvets are using box launchers, have an internal magazine of your carriers is vastly superior, since hanger reloads are an order of magnitude faster than collier reloads (e.g. the size 8 box launchers I use on my FACs have a hangar reload time of 1 hour, and a collier reload time of 10). The downside of using your carriers as colliers and tankers is that they're get bigger quickly, with 90% magazine efficiency I need 750 tons of space you hold one reload for a FAC squadron of four ships. If you're going to be deploying your ships outside of your jumpgate network size is a big deal, since large military jumpdrives are a)expensive and b)take forever to research and develop.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9553 on: January 10, 2012, 01:40:44 pm »

Yes and no. Yes, that is certainly one design route, but as BishopX pointed out, making a carrier that is also an ammo collier and giant fying fuel tank means you need a damn big carrier. And it's a carrier that inherently can go boom and leave you utterly scrod.

OTOH, seperating out the ammo and fuel to dedicated colliers and tankers makes logistics more complicated and requires more shipyards.

I rarely "carry" anything larger than FACs, since the hangar space required adds up bigtime. Especially as you don't need to physically dock the corvettes to jump with them. Just research your jump fields up to a squadron size of 4 or 5 (remember that the jumping ship itself counts as one). Refueling can be done without a hangar, so it's really only useful to dock them for box reloads, protection (if the carrier is built like a damn tank) and possibly fuel economy, as the corvettes wouldn't burn any of their own fuel while travelling inside the carrier. But for the hangar space required, you could just slap a hell of a big fuel tank and keep refueling them the whole way.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9554 on: January 10, 2012, 02:05:32 pm »

Yes and no. Yes, that is certainly one design route, but as BishopX pointed out, making a carrier that is also an ammo collier and giant fying fuel tank means you need a damn big carrier. And it's a carrier that inherently can go boom and leave you utterly scrod.

OTOH, seperating out the ammo and fuel to dedicated colliers and tankers makes logistics more complicated and requires more shipyards.

I rarely "carry" anything larger than FACs, since the hangar space required adds up bigtime. Especially as you don't need to physically dock the corvettes to jump with them. Just research your jump fields up to a squadron size of 4 or 5 (remember that the jumping ship itself counts as one). Refueling can be done without a hangar, so it's really only useful to dock them for box reloads, protection (if the carrier is built like a damn tank) and possibly fuel economy, as the corvettes wouldn't burn any of their own fuel while travelling inside the carrier. But for the hangar space required, you could just slap a hell of a big fuel tank and keep refueling them the whole way.

The only reason you want a large squadron size is to handle jump point ambushes. Everything else can be handled by a squadron size three jump engine using the standard transit option. My current (untested) doctrine is to use several small jump ships to transit pairs of small ships to clear the jump point before transiting in my capital ships.
Pages: 1 ... 635 636 [637] 638 639 ... 1347