Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 626 627 [628] 629 630 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817968 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9405 on: January 04, 2012, 12:58:27 am »

RPish blather below, feel free to ignore it all.  :P

I've reached my self-appointed date of 3 November, 2036, and have updated the designs of my main fleet elements, as well as designing a new Heavy Cruiser to act as the core of future TGs. I'm planning a new round of designing around 2040, when my few sensor, defence, and EW researchers will have completed enough tech for a stealth-based scout and fast laser destroyer. For now, I'll have to settle with this. TAN Galatea and Aurora have been laid down, and four of the 6 vessels of the 1st Frigate Squadron have begun their refits, all of which are expected to be completed in mid-2040. For these designs, I've created the much-upgraded Sabre 4b missile, which has a 65m km range advantage, while being 8k km/s slower and losing roughly 30% of its accuracy (leaving it at 88% CTH against targets moving at 10k km/s). The WH remains the same, at strength 4. This was deemed necessary for the sake of the lighter elements of the fleet, which do not possess the PD or armor to engage at close range.

Meanwhile, with the introduction of M-P drives, the standard fleet speed has been increased from 3k km/s to 5k km/s, an improvement which will greatly aid in future battles similar to the skirmish in Lalande 22185. While upkeep costs remain high, fleet ships largely remain based in Earth orbit, where they can be maintained by local facilities. Plans are in the works for fleet bases in key systems, but that remains a prospect for the future. As a stopgap measure, the second version of the Goliath PD Cruiser will carry large quantities of supplies, to aid allied ships on long deployments. In addition, plans have been laid for several classes of support vessel, though no shipyards are available to build them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: Ladies and mentlegen, I now have another example of why Aurora is best game:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 10:38:23 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9406 on: January 04, 2012, 11:27:33 am »

THEY CAN TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY CANNOT TAKE OUR SPACESHIPS!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9407 on: January 04, 2012, 12:56:23 pm »

THEY CAN TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY CANNOT TAKE OUR SPACESHIPS!
Yeah, because the spaceships are normally in a billion pieces when they take our lives :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9408 on: January 04, 2012, 01:00:34 pm »

unless they boarded you.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9409 on: January 04, 2012, 01:37:52 pm »

Oh, we wait for them to board us... then we break out the broadswords!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9410 on: January 04, 2012, 01:44:00 pm »

I can't help but feel that pikes (or a futuristic equivalent) would be a superior anti-boarding weapon. You have reach, and the enemy literally cannot go anywhere else but through your porcupine defense.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9411 on: January 04, 2012, 01:59:53 pm »

"Sir, the enemy has formed a pike and shield wall in the corridor leading to the bridge!"

"What are they, space Romans? You have a plasma caster, marine, use it!"

Yeah, don't think that would work, unless it was an AU with schizo tech.

3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9412 on: January 04, 2012, 02:03:22 pm »

Not in the corridors, no. I'm talking at the breach point, where the enemy drop-ship lets the marines out. It's a major chokepoint, and marines would probably be hesitant about cutting holes in their only method of escape.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9413 on: January 04, 2012, 02:17:14 pm »

Somewhat reasonable, but that assumes that a) the crew will know exactly where the enemy marines are boarding quickly enough to deploy there before the enemy can get a foothold and b) that pikes would be a more efficient way to clear a large number of enemies out of a chokepoint than, say, a grenade, or a long spray of flechettes, etc.

3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9414 on: January 04, 2012, 02:19:10 pm »

Personally my breaching pods would deploy a storm of antipersonnel munitions in through the breach before any marines stepped out, shredding any close-in defenders.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9415 on: January 04, 2012, 02:24:51 pm »

Yeah, I guess you guys are right. I blame KotOR for re-introducing swordfights to my sci-fi.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9416 on: January 04, 2012, 03:14:09 pm »

Not in the corridors, no. I'm talking at the breach point, where the enemy drop-ship lets the marines out. It's a major chokepoint, and marines would probably be hesitant about cutting holes in their only method of escape.
The thing is, boarding vessels in Aurora are 1 way... they either take the ship or they die/surrender.  And technically they don't use boarding vessel....

'Pike+shield'... you would need shields/whatever capable of taking ranged fire, frags and whatever other fancy explosions that can be thrown at ya to justify placing so many soldiers/crew members in 1 nice spot in direct fire for long periods of time.
Either way, 'pikes' here would probably be ranged weapons too...

As for finding the breach points, if you had ship sensors that could track things putzing about the hull... you can at least be semi-prepared.   Boarding time tics every... what... 5 minutes? 60 seconds?  I don't remember... 

The way Aurora mechanics really work is that the marines are individually launched at the ship.  If they miss, they float in space, lost forever.  Those who land work on cutting a hole into the hull, where they all enter and then assault the ship.  (Unless that has changed since last I checked...)  That means, you need to down the shields and keep it down, while your dropships have to be way faster then the target ship... or you'd lose too many marines to space...
Ship shields I guess fry the boarding party if they are still on the hull.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9417 on: January 04, 2012, 03:19:41 pm »

To be honest, I've never bothered with boarding actions. Either the enemy ships are too low-tech to be useful and I'd scrap them anyways, in which case just blowing them up saves the yard time to take them apart, or they're too high-tech to make that sort of op either safe or possible.

But yeah, "Boarding party" is possibly the most dangerous occupation in the Auroraverse, apart from "Dice's FAC crews", as you're basically doing the same thing as dropping the marines onto a planet, except you're firing the droppods at a fast-moving starship at such high velocities that if they miss, they're lost in space until their life support runs out, and if they don't match velocities on the way in, or the target shields are up, they're smears on the armor, and then they get to fight to the death with the crew, as they have no way to retreat.

3. Run Resize Enable

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9418 on: January 04, 2012, 03:23:21 pm »

Armor-piercing weapons (of conventional nature) detonate shaped charges at close range, more like a very hot blast from a blowtorch than a generic explosion. As such, it burns a narrow tunnel through the armor and then blasts plasmated armor, weapon debris, and hot gas into the inner crew chamber. In tanks, that's generally bad for the crew. In starships, there's presumably more space, though the new hull puncture is probably bad.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9419 on: January 04, 2012, 03:24:19 pm »

Starships will also have more electronics and volatile substances inside.
Pages: 1 ... 626 627 [628] 629 630 ... 1347