Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 624 625 [626] 627 628 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818004 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9375 on: January 02, 2012, 03:53:15 pm »

hehe. In my new game, I have two smallish terrestrial planets around a protostar in a level 5 nebula. I have just finished scanning the gravimetrics and found only one viable exit out of this hole. . . btw in year 3 we were are already out of mercassium and gallium.
I certainly hope that next system behind my singular jumppoint will be similar to your eldorado and NOT inhabited by evil aliens.

(I have now learned to check the planet minerals before seeding them as my homeworld. ;) )

You know there a homeworld minerals button in space master right? It re-writes the amount of minerals for a body to what earth would have in a normal game.
I thought I did hit that button, might have forgotten though. :/
That or homeworld-minerals are not equal to Earth-minerals but just all-minerals with random amounts. 

edit: Yeah... I must have forgotten, minerals are 10k on average, oh it is a L9 nebula.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 04:01:41 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9376 on: January 02, 2012, 03:54:47 pm »

Yikes, just stumbled across a Type III black hole. Haven't seen anything larger than TIIs before. Farewell survey ship, I hardly knew you.
Pic please? I've never found any sort of black hole D:
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9377 on: January 02, 2012, 03:57:09 pm »

Yikes, just stumbled across a Type III black hole. Haven't seen anything larger than TIIs before. Farewell survey ship, I hardly knew you.
I've found a TIV. Thank goodness my survey ships were built to outrun fighters. They can just go right by the 'holes without even feeling a thing.

Pic please? I've never found any sort of black hole D:
Not much to show, really. Just a black circle in the System Map.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9378 on: January 02, 2012, 03:58:30 pm »

Oh, well never mind then.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9379 on: January 02, 2012, 04:12:24 pm »

Glad to know I've got black holes on two frontiers, though. Maybe this game I'll get a chance to lure some Queens/Hives into one.  :D

ed: Getting rather worried, as I've done substantial exploration (for <10 years into the game, anyways) without running into anyone else.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 05:51:03 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

mattyb3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9380 on: January 02, 2012, 10:56:01 pm »

So i found this thread and downloaded the game only to realise that the game is literally unplayable unless you have the mega large screen resolution (which is really dumb!)

my resolution literally cannot support above 1024x768, what the heck do i do?
I supose if a dwarf is unhappy or hurt they might have a miscarriage. Perhaps we could experiment a bit.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9381 on: January 02, 2012, 10:57:40 pm »

Common question. I turned on Reduced-Size windows and downloaded ResizeEnable. It works well (enough) on my laptop, which has roughly the same resolution.

mattyb3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9382 on: January 02, 2012, 11:10:35 pm »

hm, i should have mentioned i'm on XP, oh and the resize windows app does not seem to work  :(
I supose if a dwarf is unhappy or hurt they might have a miscarriage. Perhaps we could experiment a bit.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #9383 on: January 02, 2012, 11:12:02 pm »

hm, i should have mentioned i'm on XP, oh and the resize windows app does not seem to work  :(
XP can resize its desktop already.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #9384 on: January 02, 2012, 11:45:18 pm »

So i found this thread and downloaded the game only to realise that the game is literally unplayable unless you have the mega large screen resolution (which is really dumb!)

my resolution literally cannot support above 1024x768, what the heck do i do?

Yeah, at this stage, you pretty much have to be running something older than XP for there to be no solution to the screen size issues. Don't get me wrong, I think it wouldn't take Steve much effort to make better graphical design decisions that would make this minimum screen resolution problem pretty much go away, but even given the constraints the program provides, it's pretty easy to make things work as long as you're on XP or later, though it can be a bit annoying. (Then again, we're talking about the program that, if you play with the System Map as your main screen, it changes the coloration of all your windows menus, so "a bit annoying" can be par for the course where the GUI side of things is involved.)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9385 on: January 03, 2012, 01:02:27 am »

And could you be more specific about "doesn't work", if for some reason you can't resize the desktop through Windows? Proper procedure should be:
>Run ResizeEnable
>Open window
>Resize window

Keep in mind that any windows you had open before running ResizeEnable won't be resizeable, so if, say, you need to rename a TG, the way to do it (if the TG window was already open) would be:
1. Close TG window
2. Run ResizeEnable
3. Open TG window
4. Resize window

Unrelated: Finally gave up on trying to come up with names for all my frigate, destroyers, etc. and just turned to the wikipedia list of British naval vessels.

edit: Just found a new connection between Kuiper 75 and Ross 154 (check my galmap from a few posts ago)-DAMN IT RNG, I DID NOT WANT TO SPEND TEN MINUTES REARRANGING MY WHOLE MAP.  >:(
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 01:06:02 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

mattyb3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9386 on: January 03, 2012, 03:41:26 am »

And could you be more specific about "doesn't work", if for some reason you can't resize the desktop through Windows? Proper procedure should be:
>Run ResizeEnable
>Open window
>Resize window

Keep in mind that any windows you had open before running ResizeEnable won't be resizeable, so if, say, you need to rename a TG, the way to do it (if the TG window was already open) would be:
1. Close TG window
2. Run ResizeEnable
3. Open TG window
4. Resize window

Unrelated: Finally gave up on trying to come up with names for all my frigate, destroyers, etc. and just turned to the wikipedia list of British naval vessels.

edit: Just found a new connection between Kuiper 75 and Ross 154 (check my galmap from a few posts ago)-DAMN IT RNG, I DID NOT WANT TO SPEND TEN MINUTES REARRANGING MY WHOLE MAP.  >:(

apologies, let me illustrate better with a screen shot: (beware, huge)

as you see from this screen shot, i actually want to increase the size of the menu a little bit so i can see the other options, however the window can only be made smaller, not bigger.

In addition, the game immediatly crashes after world generation is finished, and uses up 100% of CPU until process is killed.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 03:50:10 am by mattyb3 »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9387 on: January 03, 2012, 04:12:45 am »

A question then:

How do I retroengineer shipcomponents?

1) I've shipped them to my homeworld.
2) The wiki says: disassemble from the stockpile screen. . . what stockpile screen?
I don't see any options on the mineral stockpile screen. or the technologies tab.

I'm stumped. I have done this before, but don't remember how.  :-[

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9388 on: January 03, 2012, 04:19:42 am »

On the industry tab (the one you build planet facilities on) there is a "stockpiles" button, click that.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9389 on: January 03, 2012, 04:42:23 am »

Right, thanx!   :)
Pages: 1 ... 624 625 [626] 627 628 ... 1347